• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Believce it or Not, Ukraine Is On The Offensive

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ukraine is actually reported to be on the offensive in several areas of the country.

KYIV, Ukraine — A month into a war that began with widespread expectations of a quick Russian rout, Ukraine’s military has begun a counteroffensive that has altered the central dynamic of the fighting: the question is no longer how far Russian forces have advanced, but whether the Ukrainians are now pushing them back.​
Ukraine has blown up parked Russian helicopters in the south, and on Thursday claimed to have destroyed a naval ship in the Sea of Azov. Its forces struck a Russian resupply convoy in the Northeast.​
Western and Ukrainian officials also have claimed progress in fierce fighting around the capital, Kyiv.​

Take that Vladimir.

Ukraine is actually reported to be on the offensive in several areas of the country.

KYIV, Ukraine — A month into a war that began with widespread expectations of a quick Russian rout, Ukraine’s military has begun a counteroffensive that has altered the central dynamic of the fighting: the question is no longer how far Russian forces have advanced, but whether the Ukrainians are now pushing them back.​
Ukraine has blown up parked Russian helicopters in the south, and on Thursday claimed to have destroyed a naval ship in the Sea of Azov. Its forces struck a Russian resupply convoy in the Northeast.​
Western and Ukrainian officials also have claimed progress in fierce fighting around the capital, Kyiv.​

Take that Vladimir.

I saw the video of the destruction of the Orsk, the transport ship that was claimed to have been destroyed.

It was more or less on fire from bow to stern, and appeared to be wharfside, though it was hard to tell.

Whether or not it has been totally destroyed is irrelevant. It won't be back in action in time to have any use during this war.

Take that Vladimir.

I hope you are right, jpn. I think we will know if Russia is not merely ground to a halt but truly losing when we see mass withdrawals and/or mass surrenders of Russian troops. When we see columns of thousands of disarmed Russian soldiers being marched through the streets of Kiev and Odessa under armed Ukrainian guard, Russia can be said to have truly lost.

I saw the video of the destruction of the Orsk, the transport ship that was claimed to have been destroyed.
It was more or less on fire from bow to stern, and appeared to be wharfside, though it was hard to tell.
Whether or not it has been totally destroyed is irrelevant. It won't be back in action in time to have any use during this war.
And a second large ship was making a quick getaway, partially on fire itself.

And a second large ship was making a quick getaway, partially on fire itself.
Rumor is that they were able to target that ship(s) due to some propaganda video showing off their transport ship. Seeing that, Ukrainians were able to target them.

Rumor is that they were able to target that ship(s) due to some propaganda video showing off their transport ship. Seeing that, Ukrainians were able to target them.

What decade do they think they're fighting in?
Russia, I mean.

Looks like a serious munitions fire. The port side of the bow blew out in that video.

Take that Vladimir.

Yep, billions in foreign aid can work wonders when it is put to good use.

Reactions: jpn
What decade do they think they're fighting in?
Russia, I mean.
Apparently somewhere between 1891-1930 😂
Developed from 1882 to 1891, it was used by the armed forces of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and various other nations. It is one of the most mass-produced military bolt-action rifles in history with over 37 million units having been made since 1891.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant

Take that Vladimir.
Why is this a surprise? I argued last week against Psaki’s excuse the Migs were offensive weapons. My comment was so what? What’s wrong with Ukraine going on the offensive? It’s a smart tactical move. Defense wins college football Championships, war not so much.

Take that Vladimir.
this isn't good. the longer this goes on, the more likely it is he uses nukes.

We'll probably see putin nuke kyiv in the next 6 months....no more than a year, at most.

I do worry if we see mass withdrawals Putin cold start using tactical nukes.

I do worry if we see mass withdrawals Putin cold start using tactical nukes.

Look, assume it's a given that he will, okay?
I say that because absent a clear surrender by Zelensky and total victory, that IS what he will do.

I hope you are wrong.
So do I because it's not just ME talking.
I realize this is a pessimistic view but I already accepted that Putin was always "the Trump Whisperer" and knowing
what Trump is capable of, his "Daddy" is capable of even more, as I am sure you may have already guessed.

Putin is quoted as saying, "Why do we need a world if Russia is not in it?"
What does that tell you? I know what it tells me.

I realize this is a pessimistic view but I already accepted that Putin was always "the Trump Whisperer" and knowing
what Trump is capable of, his "Daddy" is capable of even more, as I am sure you may have already guessed.

OTOH one could see it as a positive. As in he would not risk the annihilation of Russia by using nukes.

Last edited:

Maybe you're right but I don't think he will. I continue to see Russia's survival as an ongoing entity depending heavily on China's strategic support, and right now that support comes at no actual cost to China as long as this war remains low grade and conventional. The moment weapons of mass destruction enter the picture, the cost of pragmatic China supporting Russia will become very high, and that support will disappear immediately--as China is able to do, being a centrally planned totalitarian state.

Once that happens, it would not be surprising if Putin were dead within 24 hours.

That's my dollar bet as to how nuclear deployments would play out.

this isn't good. the longer this goes on, the more likely it is he uses nukes.

We'll probably see putin nuke kyiv in the next 6 months....no more than a year, at most.

Putin has, by Russian standards, attempted not to flatten all cities for one reason, he knows it would have a region of enemies for decades. He hasn't called in the bombers and mostly limited the use of conventional weapons that have no other purpose.

If he wants to go full genocide, conventional weapons have less downside in the World's opinion and are just as effective.

The only time I see Putin using a nuclear weapon is when the 'existential existence' of Russia is threatened. A military defeat in Ukraine isn't sufficient. An invasion of Russia might be.

Why is this a surprise? I argued last week against Psaki’s excuse the Migs were offensive weapons. My comment was so what? What’s wrong with Ukraine going on the offensive? It’s a smart tactical move. Defense wins college football Championships, war not so much.

So Psaki used the "offensive weapons" excuse over the MIGS? I'll have to look that up.

Back
Top Bottom