• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belief In Life On Other Planets Is An Act Of Religious Faith Based On Nothing

There’s at least 4 or 5 levels of managers between Musk and the guys actually doing the designing and building of rockets or electric cars.

If you want to say “Elon Musk manages a company that builds rockets”, I won’t argue the point. Saying he builds rockets is just falling for his PR propaganda.

Your point is valid.

So is mine.

It's possible that we can BOTH be right.

It might be that musk determined at some point that building a rocket is thing that is best done employing the efforts of a team.

If THAT was his conclusion and if that is his goal, then actually rolling up his sleeves and picking up tools to build a rocket would be the best system to AVOID building a rocket.

Creating a team to accomplish the various steps to build a rocket is really the ONLY way any person could employ that would lead to the successful invention, construction and, eventually, the ultimate building of a rocket.

Out of curiosity, did ANYONE build the rockets that actually DO exist that are being launched by the Musk Team?

Are they simply natural occurring things that would have become real with or without Musk?

Confirmed him stupid? Because, he doesn't have a.................. nobel?
Just like Richard Dawkins!

Do you have one? A nobel, I mean.

Lol - don't put your foot in your mouth POS, by calling this man, stupid.
Look at his awards for one thing - not to mention his position.

If such a man, in your view, is stupid - I'd hate to imagine what you think of us............. or, even ............yourself.
Unless, you have a nobel tucked under your belt, of course.
Wrong again. The man was stupid because he made a stupid statement about claiming there was no life on other planets. For you to even defend such silliness means you also have no argument.

1. U.S. & World

Study nixes Mars life in meteorite found in Antarctica​

Updated: Jan. 13, 2022, 8:41 p.m. | Published: Jan. 13, 2022, 8:41 p.m.

I can still remember the presidential press conference concerning this meteorite in 1996 when the opening remarks from the president in which he immediately took a swipe at God/people of faith on the false premise fed to him that life had been found, made me realize that the primary, not secondary, purpose of this ongoing quest of religious faith based on nothing, to find life, somewhere, anywhere other than earth is to debunk the idea of a God involved in human affairs.
To scientifically establish based on mere faith, and nothing more, where we did not come from , and where we are not going
With a desperate urgency no less that the president well exemplified that day, causing believers in this outer space faith to be ultimately befuddled over and over again.
A religious faith entirely taxpayer funded by the way.

" Well, it seems that God did not tell us everything " ( President Bill Clinton meteorite press conference 1996)
Good lord! Why cant it just be an exploration to find new life somewhere else? How cool would that be? How is it any different from the early biologists here on Earth, looking for new life? So exciting, so much to learn from it.

Are you or the OP source claiming that the only reason we're doing space exploration is to disprove God or that He only created life on our planet?

Several steps removed. If you want to say “Elon Musk leads a company that build rockets”, I won’t argue the point.

I'm sitting here smiling and shaking my head.

Good lord! Why cant it just be an exploration to find new life somewhere else? How cool would that be? How is it any different from the early biologists here on Earth, looking for new life? So exciting, so much to learn from it.

Are you or the OP source claiming that the only reason we're doing space exploration is to disprove God or that He only created life on our planet?
Why do you think the President of the United States felt obligated to invoke the name of God in the first sentence of His press conference where he had been deluded into believing life had been discovered ?

" Well, it seems that God did not tell us everything " ( President Bill Clinton meteorite press conference 1996)

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the only biological life to be found anywhere else in the Universe will be the life we send or take with us there. People who believe that life originated "naturally" HAVE to feel there is biological life elsewhere that EVOLVED. If none is found, they are under the extreme burden to accept that something miraculous/supernatural happened right here ----and that GOD is the ONLY possible/logical answer. Just making a poignant observation.

Wrong again. The man was stupid because he made a stupid statement about claiming there was no life on other planets. For you to even defend such silliness means you also have no argument.

I agree that the math seems to be in favor of the possibility of life being somewhere "out there".

I assert that the evidence for it is yet to be presented.

Interestingly, in a show I saw recently in one of the Prime Lecture Series, the presenter noted that, of the whole universe comprised by all of the matter we know about and all of the Dark Matter and Dark Energy, our "visible" part is only 5%.

Accepting all of the trillions or so planets around the many, many stars that could be Suns and multiplying that by 20 times, the odds denying life become even more mathematically challenging.

Using the odds based on those huge, and even more huge, numbers, the chances of Life being comprised of Dark matter and Dark Energy are higher than being comprised of "visible stuff".

Life, and intelligent life, could be right next to us in the form of Dark Matter and Dark Energy and we would never know it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoS
Why do you think the President of the United States felt obligated to invoke the name of God in the first sentence of His press conference where he had been deluded into believing life had been discovered ?

Please answer my questions first before asking more of your own.

Please answer my questions first before asking more of your own.
What question do you have that President Clinton did not address in his remarks?

What question do you have that President Clinton did not address in his remarks?

Why are you asking more questions? You already quoted my questions and ignored them. Here they are again:

Good lord! Why cant it just be an exploration to find new life somewhere else? How cool would that be? How is it any different from the early biologists here on Earth, looking for new life? So exciting, so much to learn from it.​

Why are you asking more questions? You already quoted my questions and ignored them. Here they are again:

Good lord! Why cant it just be an exploration to find new life somewhere else?
Because the discrediting of God is a top priority for very powerful Atheist world leader in charge of underwriting the venture.
It's the bigger thing.
Take the president's own words for "Why cant it just be an exploration to find new life somewhere else?

" Well, it seems that God did not tell us everything " (
President Bill Clinton meteorite press conference 1996)

Because the discrediting of God is a top priority for very powerful Atheist world leader in charge of underwriting the venture.
It's the bigger thing.
Take the president's own words for "Why cant it just be an exploration to find new life somewhere else?

" Well, it seems that God did not tell us everything " (
President Bill Clinton meteorite press conference 1996)
Source this (bold orange) please. The tongue-in-cheek comment from Clinton is no such thing.

LMAO are you saying that the billions of $$$ spent by NASA, the world's massive telescopes, and all other govt-sponsored space research is intended to discredit God?

Please answer that question.

Political speech is often targeted speech.

Targeting folks who are bitterly clinging to their Bibles and guns seems like a hobby that amuses Democrats.

"Capitalists don't create value, they control capital"​
Modern capitalism began in the early 1800's. And at about that time, 95% of the world's population lived in extreme poverty. Assuming you don't live in extreme poverty, hang low, now would be a good time to pay gratitude to a "capital controller".

You hit the lottery of life being born in this particular time, in this particular place. Congrats.

Given that we know life exists and can develop and even thrive in a multitude of environmental conditions, namely here on planet Earth, it is likely that exolife in some form exists in the universe, especially considering all the possible galaxies and planets in an otherwise infinite universe. But it is logically indefensible to claim with certainty that life does or does not exist in the universe until we find evidence or proof either way.

It isn’t impossible. Because we know life developed on Earth and the chemical processes behind that development aren’t rare.
Indeed. Neil deGrasse Tyson once said the most common elements in the universe are hydrogen [the most common element in the universe], helium, oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon, among others. The human body is composed mostly of hydrogen and oxygen. We are composed of the most basic elements of the universe. The laws of physics, chemistry, ect. remains the same throughout the universe. So it's likely that life (as we understand it) has formed elsewhere from the same elements. The hard part is finding it.

Either the universe is infinite, and there is life out there by virtue of infinite...

Or it's not infinite, at which point, life MIGHT not be out there.

One thing is for certain...in both the above scenarios, extra terrestrial life is absolutely potential. By that standard alone, it takes more faith to believe its definitely not out there, than it does to believe that it definitely is.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the only biological life to be found anywhere else in the Universe will be the life we send or take with us there.
Are you suggesting that exolife cannot develop or evolve naturally on its own elsewhere in the universe?
People who believe that life originated "naturally" HAVE to feel there is biological life elsewhere that EVOLVED.
There's a difference between life originating and life evolving. Evolution requires environmental influences.
If none is found, they are under the extreme burden to accept that something miraculous/supernatural happened right here
That can only be possible if the entire universe is thoroughly searched without finding even a trace of life.
----and that GOD is the ONLY possible/logical answer. Just making a poignant observation.
Except god isn't an explanation. It's a failure to explain.

Even extremely conservative numbers plugged into the Drake Equation make it a guarantee there is life on other planets.

The universe is a very ****ing big place. Just because Mars can’t support life, that means nothing.

The belief that were going to FIND some is pretty optimistic, but there's no reason to not look.

The belief that were going to FIND some is pretty optimistic, but there's no reason to not look.

I never claimed we’ll find any aliens. I’m extremely doubtful any kind of cohesive interstellar civilization could exist.

I would say it's likely, given enough time and technological advancement.

Interesting assessment. I'm probably simply less optimistic about how much of the universe as explained in the drake equation that we will ever have access to.

I'm probably simply less optimistic about how much of the universe as explained in the drake equation that we will ever have access to.
Like I said, time and technology. Our ability to explore the universe is still relatively very limited. And it's a big universe.

I never claimed we’ll find any aliens. I’m extremely doubtful any kind of cohesive interstellar civilization could exist.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply that you claimed that. The statement was meant to be about the belief itself and not attribute it to anyone in particular.

Back
Top Bottom