• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belief In Life On Other Planets Is An Act Of Religious Faith Based On Nothing

Hypothesizing life on other planets is not a belief because it is physically possible.

Bah, more nincompoops who get a little satisifaction from killing hope with science. Nah, I have a feeling were gonna have alot of fun out there.

Bah, more nincompoops who get a little satisifaction from killing hope with science. Nah, I have a feeling were gonna have alot of fun out there.
What's wrong with science? One might say it's science that brings hope.

It's also mathematically possib

What's wrong with science? One might say it's science that brings hope.
How is presenting the scenerio that earth is somehow alone in the Universe hope? Alone=bad. 1 earth forever. Doom and gloom. There are ALOT of "lucky" breaks for Earth. But these tweaks needed for life are playing out on the G Type and K type stars out there over there own epochs. There's gonna be alot of "lucky" breaks, combinations of optimal conditions...all the stuff that occured on earth will be playing out across the cosmos. And the science and math doesnt speak for a "133 earths in the universe, no more" or whatever line. By the time we make a ship to go there, were going to advance in other areas too. Terraforming/Terraoptimalization on worlds where an ecosystem is not in place but habitable conditions are achievable. Were considering a future where terraform Mars. If we achieve FTL, why mess with Mars, a 750 year estimated timeframe to make just walking around with no suit on possible. I didnt concieve of a cell phone when I graduated HS in 1995. What advances will you not take into account of our future? I dont believe we'll find earths easily. But the basic elemental makeup of these "impossibles". is a common ingredient mix were finding. Exoplanet detection is only as old as my post High School life. We will probably read this before delete the account 30 years from now and say "They had no idea what would come faith or not..." God isnt such a fool he'll give stewardship of ALL this to us. It'll just happen one day. Science always tells me "No, we know this for certain now. We are the most advanced we'll ever be and what the figures show now is absolute" Until one day its just not.

How is presenting the scenerio that earth is somehow alone in the Universe hope? Alone=bad. 1 earth forever. Doom and gloom. There are ALOT of "lucky" breaks for Earth. But these tweaks needed for life are playing out on the G Type and K type stars out there over there own epochs. There's gonna be alot of "lucky" breaks, combinations of optimal conditions...all the stuff that occured on earth will be playing out across the cosmos. And the science and math doesnt speak for a "133 earths in the universe, no more" or whatever line. By the time we make a ship to go there, were going to advance in other areas too. Terraforming/Terraoptimalization on worlds where an ecosystem is not in place but habitable conditions are achievable. Were considering a future where terraform Mars. If we achieve FTL, why mess with Mars, a 750 year estimated timeframe to make just walking around with no suit on possible. I didnt concieve of a cell phone when I graduated HS in 1995. What advances will you not take into account of our future? Your Maybe another rare/lone earth coincidence that we develop into a civilization that makes our new worlds. I dont believe we'll find earths easily. But the basic elemental makeup of these "impossibles". is a common ingredient mix were finding. Exoplanet detection is only as old as my post High School life. We will probably read this before delete the account 30 years from now and say "They had no idea what would come faith or not..." God isnt such a fool he'll give stewardship of ALL this to us. Im not a big fan of "realistic" because we know so little about the reality of our universe. It'll just happen one day. Science always tells me "No, we know this for certain now. We are the most advanced we'll ever be and what the figures show now is absolute" Until one day its just not.

I doubt that the earth is the only place where life exists in the universe. I just don't believe in UFO nuttery.

Even extremely conservative numbers plugged into the Drake Equation make it a guarantee there is life on other planets.

The universe is a very ****ing big place. Just because Mars can’t support life, that means nothing.
But it also likely we will never find other life also because the universe is so F-ing BIG. When there are as many stars as grains of sand on every beach on earth that is a lot of stars.

I doubt that the earth is the only place where life exists in the universe. I just don't believe in UFO nuttery.
Im inclined to agree. But I saw a ghost, a couple of them! when I was a kid. And I believe in spirits, angels and demons. But I dont believe in ghosts, but I've seen one...I still dont know if I believe in them. See where this is going?
But it also likely we will never find other life also because the universe is so F-ing BIG. When there are as many stars as grains of sand on every beach on earth that is a lot of stars.We

Yes I agree. All life in the universe follows the same laws of physics and it is physically impossible to travel the great distances needed.

What about technologies for detection that are not invented yet, but assuming they will happen as advances in tech are proven. What if lightspeed radio waves arent what an interstellar species uses to communicate? What if were not only in the backwaters of our galaxy in a spatial sense, but we really ARE in the boonies of a galaxy thats hopping more on the "surfaces" if the spiral arms. What if they are muting us?

Ever heard of the Alcubierre warp metric? Look it up. Your assuming that mankind will make no discoveries in the future for FTL technology. We cant really quantify when and what advances will be made. But evidence points to our continual technological advancment. What if next week it turns out FTL was right in front of us the whole time. Im an optimist by nature, I would give Putins cronies a run for their money on painting a rosy picture in a field of skepticism. But what theoretical physcist goes into his/her career focusing on what they cant do cause "Its impossible"

How is presenting the scenerio that earth is somehow alone in the Universe hope? Alone=bad. 1 earth forever. Doom and gloom.
Who's presenting that? If you'll notice, it was said life on other planets was possible. We simply haven't haven't found anything yet.
There are ALOT of "lucky" breaks for Earth. But these tweaks needed for life are playing out on the G Type and K type stars out there over there own epochs. There's gonna be alot of "lucky" breaks, combinations of optimal conditions...all the stuff that occured on earth will be playing out across the cosmos. And the science and math doesnt speak for a "133 earths in the universe, no more" or whatever line. By the time we make a ship to go there, were going to advance in other areas too.
What's your point? Science is interested in planets within their stars habitable zones, as those are the most likely places for life to develop, based on what we know. That's not to say it's the only possible place for life to form.
Terraforming/Terraoptimalization on worlds where an ecosystem is not in place but habitable conditions are achievable. Were considering a future where terraform Mars. If we achieve FTL, why mess with Mars, a 750 year estimated timeframe to make just walking around with no suit on possible.
We can only speculate on when FTL and terraforming will become possible. Of course we still need to make significant technological advancements until we reach that point.
I didnt concieve of a cell phone when I graduated HS in 1995. What advances will you not take into account of our future? I dont believe we'll find earths easily.
That all depends on technological advancements. Such advancements are ongoing.
But the basic elemental makeup of these "impossibles". is a common ingredient mix were finding.
What "impossible?" We're composed of the most basic elements of the universe.
Exoplanet detection is only as old as my post High School life. We will probably read this before delete the account 30 years from now and say "They had no idea what would come faith or not..." God isnt such a fool he'll give stewardship of ALL this to us. It'll just happen one day. Science always tells me "No, we know this for certain now. We are the most advanced we'll ever be and what the figures show now is absolute" Until one day its just not.
Science doesn't declare certainty lightly. Science is always open to new evidence and adjusts itself accordingly when such evidence is available.

Who's presenting that? If you'll notice, it was said life on other planets was possible. We simply haven't haven't found anything yet.

What's your point? Science is interested in planets within their stars habitable zones, as those are the most likely places for life to develop, based on what we know. That's not to say it's the only possible place for life to form.

We can only speculate on when FTL and terraforming will become possible. Of course we still need to make significant technological advancements until we reach that point.

That all depends on technological advancements. Such advancements are ongoing.

What "impossible?" We're composed of the most basic elements of the universe.

Science doesn't declare certainty lightly. Science is always open to new evidence and adjusts itself accordingly when such evidence is available.
I know the scientific method doesnt take into account advances in the future. General Relativity and Quantum physics are certain, but contradict eachother. I fell there's an inbred disdain for things like Life after death, Psionics, FTL travel, God and s so on, an institutionalized pessimism for anything that's not tangible. Everything is just Baryonic and Non-Baryonic "matter". Maybe dark matter is the building blocks of heaven. But I cant prove it, and neith can you disprove it cause were decalaring with certainty 64% of the makeup of our universe is something we cannot see. I call em Bigfoot particles. I cant see dark matter but I believe its there. I also beleive in bigfoot cause my uncle was in the Rangers and while in Alaska was told they did exist, the government knows about them and to not engage them because "It has in the past not ended well". My uncle wouldnt lie about something like that. I take it on faith.

Ever heard of the Alcubierre warp metric? Look it up. Your assuming that mankind will make no discoveries in the future for FTL technology. We cant really quantify when and what advances will be made. But evidence points to our continual technological advancment. What if next week it turns out FTL was right in front of us the whole time. Im an optimist by nature, I would give Putins cronies a run for their money on painting a rosy picture in a field of skepticism. But what theoretical physcist goes into his/her career focusing on what they cant do cause "Its impossible"
All these "theories" involve "space/time" and are analogous to time travel theories. I believe that is time travel was/is ever invented in the future we would know about it. The warp drive you mentioned requires negative mass, something that does not exist.

Yes I agree. All life in the universe follows the same laws of physics and it is physically impossible to travel the great distances needed.
Seems that way if we're not in a simulated universe. There might be ways to fold the universe, but who is going to do that to spook a fighter jet pilot and then speed off into the great unknown?

I know the scientific method doesnt take into account advances in the future.
Of course not. Science can only advance as it goes along.
I fell there's an inbred disdain for things like Life after death, Psionics, FTL travel, God and s so on, an institutionalized pessimism for anything that's not tangible. Everything is just Baryonic and Non-Baryonic "matter".
I have no disdain for FTL or such things. Disdain comes from peoples own ignorance or emotions, especially fear.
Maybe dark matter is the building blocks of heaven. But I cant prove it, and neith can you disprove it cause were decalaring with certainty 64% of the makeup of our universe is something we cannot see.
No one is (nor should) making claims dark matter/energy makes up Heaven. So there is no burden of proof there. We simply do not understand the nature of dark matter & energy yet.
I call em Bigfoot particles. I cant see dark matter but I believe its there. I also beleive in bigfoot cause my uncle was in the Rangers and while in Alaska was told they did exist, the government knows about them and to not engage them because "It has in the past not ended well". My uncle wouldnt lie about something like that. I take it on faith.
I go by evidence, not faith or conspiracy theories. We know dark matter is there based on mathematical models regarding the mass of universe.

Back
Top Bottom