• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Belief in God would be so much easier if it weren't for religion

zip98053

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Belief in God would be so much easier if one didn't have to subscribe to a religion. Most religions are so much BS, mainly because of the leaders of that religion.

The religions of the world seem to share only one characteristic; while they can't all be right, they can all be wrong.

You don't need organised religion to believe in God, as long as you accept Jesus and all that, you are a Christian, and are assured a seat in heaven.

As far as I am aware, there is no scriptural basis in the NT for you to have to belong to a particular church (except perhaps to be baptised).

You don't need organised religion to believe in God, as long as you accept Jesus and all that, you are a Christian, and are assured a seat in heaven.

As far as I am aware, there is no scriptural basis in the NT for you to have to belong to a particular church (except perhaps to be baptised).

Your argument seems to be that I don't need to accept religion as long as I accept your religion. Why does a belief in God require a New or Testiment scriptural basis? Besides, whose scripture should I follow? What makes Christianity/Judaism/Islam better than, say, Hinduism?

Belief in God would be so much easier if one didn't have to subscribe to a religion. Most religions are so much BS, mainly because of the leaders of that religion.

The religions of the world seem to share only one characteristic; while they can't all be right, they can all be wrong.

Does this imply that you think the biggest thing holding a person back from being a theist is religion? If this is the case, Im not sure if I should laugh or cry.

Does this imply that you think the biggest thing holding a person back from being a theist is religion? If this is the case, Im not sure if I should laugh or cry.

I think that you should. :)

Your argument seems to be that I don't need to accept religion as long as I accept your religion. Why does a belief in God require a New or Testiment scriptural basis? Besides, whose scripture should I follow? What makes Christianity/Judaism/Islam better than, say, Hinduism?

I was using Christianity as an example, but the fact still stands, religion requires belief in whatever deity you choose, I don't think there are any religions that explicitly state that you must be part of an organisation.

I was using Christianity as an example, but the fact still stands, religion requires belief in whatever deity you choose, I don't think there are any religions that explicitly state that you must be part of an organisation.

I think that most of the religions of the world actually do prescribe the way that you believe in God. For example, Christianity requires a belief that Jesus was divine. Islam requires a belief in Mohamed. The 700-club religion requires that I accept Pat Robertson as some kind of prophet. I'm not able to find a religion that just wants to profess a belief in God without some other bizarre stuff. Then there's Scientology which makes Catholicism seem trite.

I would expand the premise of the OP further to say that God as an experience has always existed regardless of religion and independent experience overwhelmingly outnumbers religious epiphany.

I think that most of the religions of the world actually do prescribe the way that you believe in God. For example, Christianity requires a belief that Jesus was divine. Islam requires a belief in Mohamed. The 700-club religion requires that I accept Pat Robertson as some kind of prophet. I'm not able to find a religion that just wants to profess a belief in God without some other bizarre stuff. Then there's Scientology which makes Catholicism seem trite.

Try Discordiansim. They let you customize your religion.

You can believe in God without having a religion. There is no human leader for my faith (Christian).

I believe all religions are wrong but mine :D They can't all be right, and only 1 can be truth.

humanism is your friend

You have no excuse, the Word is there for you to read on your own.

You can believe in God without having a religion. There is no human leader for my faith (Christian).

I believe all religions are wrong but mine :D They can't all be right, and only 1 can be truth.

Why do you say that all religions cannot be right? They all are, you know.

It doesn't really matter what deity or spiritual entity you spend your time worshipping. In the end, we all go to the same place.

try Deism
Deism: Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation.
Deism Defined, Welcome to Deism, Deist Glossary and Frequently Asked Questions

It doesn't really matter what deity or spiritual entity you spend your time worshipping. In the end, we all go to the same place.

That would seem to me to make it almost beneficial to choose the right one. :2razz:

Seriously I am non-denominational even though a Christian. I think the OP has a point about organized religions leadership. Often they are corrupt and make the message very perverse even though it is blatantly wrong. Like the things going on in Uganda and the Phelps family with "god hates fags."

Who has the right answers? Who knows. I personally find them in the pages of the Judo/Christian Bible.

Different religions will contradict each other.

There are layers within a religions, as an institution of man...

Layer 0: Core mystical belief in the Divine: God exists and created the universe.
Alternate beliefs: Many Gods exist and one of them created the universe, one of them destroys the universe, etc
Layer 1: Associated mystical beliefs: Jesus Christ is the Son of God or Krishna is a Divine Incarnation
Layer 2: Rites and Rituals: The sacraments. Mass. Shakti cerimonies.

Among all the religions, Layer 0 is the same (faith in the divine) and true. The details may be different, but you are attaching form to the divine in each case and it is the form that is different, not the principle of the divine. Layers 1 and 2 are different between religions. Did you know Hindus honor Jesus as a Divine Incarnation?

They can't all be right, and there can only be one truth.

That is absolutely ridiculous and is the way religions go to war with each other and commit atrocities like the Inquisition and the Crusades.

That is absolutely ridiculous and is the way religions go to war with each other and commit atrocities like the Inquisition and the Crusades.

Yes, but in case you've not heard, the Crusades and Inquisition ended quite some time ago. I don't know many Christians who are strapping on weapons and preparing to reconquer the Holy Lands or who enjoy physically torturing Heretics, do you? You seem to believe that SOME religions have evolved; however you also seem to harbor a bit of disdain for "other" specific religions.....*ahem* Christianity *ahem*.....

So, what was your point again? Oh yeah, ALL religions are true, right? Well, I suppose, as petty mortals, we'll just have to roll the dice, and hopefully, for your sake, you are right and those who believe there is only ONE true way are wrong. :shrug:

Last edited:
There are layers within a religions, as an institution of man...

Layer 0: Core mystical belief in the Divine: God exists and created the universe.
Alternate beliefs: Many Gods exist and one of them created the universe, one of them destroys the universe, etc
Layer 1: Associated mystical beliefs: Jesus Christ is the Son of God or Krishna is a Divine Incarnation
Layer 2: Rites and Rituals: The sacraments. Mass. Shakti cerimonies.

Among all the religions, Layer 0 is the same (faith in the divine) and true. The details may be different, but you are attaching form to the divine in each case and it is the form that is different, not the principle of the divine. Layers 1 and 2 are different between religions. Did you know Hindus honor Jesus as a Divine Incarnation?
It's illogical to say that all faiths are true because most religions believe in some kind of higher power(s). We can all agree that air exists but there is only 1 truth as to what air is comprised of. All will say we have air, but not everyone is right if some say air is made from boiled gasoline, solely made of water vapor, or the correct mix of Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2, and other molecules.
Religions might acknowledge a higher power, but is the Christian God the same as shiva? Are they both the same entity? No. It's illogical to say that all religions are right because most share common ground in believing in something beyond ourselves.

What does this have to do with the One Truth? And about Hindus acknowledging Jesus. Jesus specifically said there is only forgiveness through Him, and one can only enter heaven through Him. He also said the road to redemption is narrow and few chose to travel upon it. Likewise He also said the road to destruction is broad. If all religions are correct and all go to heaven, then logically either Christianity is wrong (which also contradicts the belief that all religions are correct) or your belief that all religions are correct is wrong. By definition it is self defeating.

The Catholic religion requires you to be part of their organization. If you die in mortal sin, you go to hell. Don't go to church? Don't go to confession? You're doomed. Aren't baptized. To hell you go. (Except babies, but they'll never see God, as they go to Limbo.) Visit a Catholic church and you are denied communion if you aren't Catholic. God invites you to the table, the Catholic church attaches strings.

Yes, but in case you've not heard, the Crusades and Inquisition ended quite some time ago. I don't know many Christians who are strapping on weapons and preparing to reconquer the Holy Lands or who enjoy physically torturing Heretics, do you? You seem to believe that SOME religions have evolved; however you also seem to harbor a bit of disdain for "other" specific religions.....*ahem* Christianity *ahem*.....

So, what was your point again? Oh yeah, ALL religions are true, right? Well, I suppose, as petty mortals, we'll just have to roll the dice, and hopefully, for your sake, you are right and those who believe there is only ONE true way are wrong. :shrug:

Haven't you heard of what's going on in Uganda? Just a response to your first comment, not anything else.

Back
Top Bottom