• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belarus or White Russia? - Which term do you use?

Which term do you prefer?

• White Russia

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Belarus

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • another term

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
I prefer "White Russia" - and in German: "Weißrussland".

Saying "Belarus" has become fashionable somehow.

Never heard of White Russia?

Saying "Belarus" has become fashionable somehow.

Belarus is the nation's name. If its name was ever White Russia, everyone would always call it that.

If its name was ever White Russia, everyone would always call it that.

Sorry, but there is no logic in your sentence.
What you say, is just not the case.

Belarus is the nation's name. If its name was ever White Russia, everyone would always call it that.

Hungary is Magyarország in the Hungarian language.

And where outside Hungary is it called that way?
There is no law that a country must be called by other countries the same as it calls itself.

I prefer to call it Nancy.

Italy is called Italia in the Italian language.
Just another of many other examples.

"Deutschland" is Germany in English und Allemagne in French. Just 2 examples.

It is an error to think that countries are called by the same name all over the world.

Sorry, but there is no logic in your sentence. What you say, is just not the case.

Have you ever seen a map that identifies the land area north of Ukraine "White Russia" instead of Belarus?

Have you ever seen a map that identifies the land area north of Ukraine "White Russia" instead of Belarus?

And a question for you:

Have you read and understood my arguments?

White Russia because it will be Russia's again. It is the next Ukraine.

A better question is whether we should ever translate the name of a country into our own language.

If not, then we should be calling it Belarus. And then we should be calling Germany "Deutschland," Poland "Polska," and Japan "Nippon."

Wie alt ist das OP?

How old is the OP?

A better question is whether we should ever translate the name of a country into our own language.

So it is common usage all over the world.
I have given examples in this thread.

Just one more:
How do you call Norge and Sverige in your own language?

I call it Putin's next speed bump.

Not a fan of some of the OP’s threads, But this is a topic I have questioned, having been fortunate enough to travel a bunch. Some of the names i have wondered about:

Donau/Danube
Kobenhavn/Copenhagen
Schweiz/Switzerland
Ostereich/Austria
Wien/Vienna

There are many more, but these are the ones I come up with on short notice.

I call it Putin's next speed bump.

You think that funny?
You think you are terribly clever?
Your posting is silly and off topic and beside the point here.

Back
Top Bottom