• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belarus or White Russia? - Which term do you use?

Which term do you prefer?

• White Russia

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Belarus

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • another term

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
You think that funny?
You think you are terribly clever?
Your posting is silly and off topic and beside the point here.

Nope. Just calling it now, believe me later.

Only the Russians call Belarus "White Russia". Only the Russians call Ukraine "Little Russia".

I am sure that the Russians use the Russian form of "White Russia" - just as we in Germany use "Weißrussland"
And for Ukraine we use Ukraine.

"Belarus" is for those stupid German journalists who do not know any better.

I am sure that the Russians use the Russian form of "White Russia" - just as we in Germany use "Weißrussland"

What does BELARUS call Belarus?
What does the UN call Belarus?
What does the US call Belarus?

Last maps I saw said Belarus.

You are trying to use Etymology to justify using the term "White Russia" today. That bit of etymology hearkens way back to Kievan Rus times.

The country has been referred to in Russia as «Белору́ссия» Belorussia since Czarist times. White Russia is «Белая Русь»

At independence in 1991 the country chose «Рэспубліка Беларусь» - Republic of Belarus in the native language, oftentimes shortened to «Беларусь» Belarus.

You are trying to use Etymology to justify using the term "White Russia" today.

Not really.
My point is this: There is no law that a country must be called by the same name as it calls itself,
See the examples of "Hungary" etc etc etc ....

Anyone who thinks that Belarus must be called Belarus, because that is its "proper" name, must also say Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó instead of China, for that is China's "proper" name. :)

Anyone who thinks that Belarus must be called Belarus, because that is its "proper" name, must also say Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó instead of China, for that is China's "proper" name. :)

Muscovite, you can call Belarus how you want it still has nothing to do with your ulus juchi with has had 0 connection to our Europe
Kyiv Rus has nothing to do with "Russia", Timothy Snyder

That's People's Republic of China of course.

China = Zhong Guo

Belarus btw could sound like a vampire movie festival in Sochi. At the Poltergeist Cinema Complex. Strange as the sound can strike some people I'll take Belarus over White Russia.

In a response to a manufactured dispute higher up in the thread, just outline the border on the map with a continuous speedbump rather than a plain line that would be black anyway, or blue. Unless of course you might have zero sense of humor. Stilted with thin skin perhaps.

;)

History of Belarus in 5 minutes (with english subtitles)

In a response to a manufactured dispute higher up in the thread, just outline the border on the map with a continuous speedbump rather than a plain line that would be black anyway, or blue. Unless of course you might have zero sense of humor. Stilted with thin skin perhaps.

That dispute up there completely misses the point. :)

Who says A, must also say B.

Who says Belarus, must also say España instead of Spain.

That's how it is.

On a serious note, the OP has a point.

The name Belarus is closely related with the term Belaya Rus', i.e., White Rus'. There are several claims to the origin of the name White Rus'.[29] An ethno-religious theory suggests that the name used to describe the part of old Ruthenian lands within the Grand Duchy of Lithuania that had been populated mostly by Slavs who had been Christianized early, as opposed to Black Ruthenia, which was predominantly inhabited by pagan Balts.

Belarus - Wikipedia

I know - I know both :)

I didn't doubt it given your obvious facility in these matters, it's just that you blew through the Chinese parts so I thought I'd include the Romanized name the Chinese -- the Zhong Guo -- have for themselves.

You'd also be familiar with the different systems of transliteration that, when I was in college a hundred years ago ha put it as Jung Gwo. When I arrived in South Korea in 1996 I was in Kwang Ju city that several years later became Gwang Ju to align with the phonics of it so the transliterations remain fluid which is nothing new. Pusan became Busan for phonetic reasons mostly and so on.

So when a lot of South Koreans want vanilla ice cream they order banilla ice cream ha. In that entire region of the world, and while l and r are always tough sounds for 'em to make, one must make it a threesome of tough sounds by including the v phonic.

That dispute up there completely misses the point. :)

You must be German then.

Who says A, must also say B.

Who says Belarus, must also say España instead of Spain.

That's how it is.

Yep, almost for sure German. ;)

Blow me down if you're not German.

I didn't doubt it given your obvious facility in these matters, it's just that you blew through the Chinese parts so I thought I'd include the Romanized name the Chinese -- the Zhong Guo -- have for themselves.

You'd also be familiar with the different systems of transliteration that, when I was in college a hundred years ago ha put it as Jung Gwo. When I arrived in South Korea in 1996 I was in Kwang Ju city that several years later became Gwang Ju to align with the phonics of it so the transliterations remain fluid which is nothing new. Pusan became Busan for phonetic reasons mostly and so on.

So when a lot of South Koreans want vanilla ice cream they order banilla ice cream ha. In that entire region of the world, and while l and r are always tough sounds for 'em to make, one must make it a threesome of tough sounds by including the v phonic.

Reminds me of Barcelona and Valencia.

B and V are closely related.
And the Spanish have a sound in between. :)

You must be German then.

Yep, almost for sure German. ;)

Blow me down if you're not German.

In keeping with the topic of this thread I might say: "Oh no! I am not German! I am deutsch!" :mrgreen:

I am a Schwarzwälder, in fact. :)

Not really.
My point is this: There is no law that a country must be called by the same name as it calls itself,
See the examples of "Hungary" etc etc etc ....

That's a BS argument.

Call it what YOU want, but don't force your stupidity on others.

Back
Top Bottom