• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belarus Opposition Leader Urges Sanctions in UN Address

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Belarus Opposition Leader Urges Sanctions in UN Address

Svetlana Tikhanovskaya spoke to the UN Security Council on Friday by video link.

3dIOWS_0WsKKDOy00

9/4/20
Belarus opposition challenger Svetlana Tikhanovskaya on Friday appealed for help from the United Nations and called for sanctions against those responsible for alleged electoral fraud and rights violations in her ex-Soviet country. Addressing a meeting of the UN Security Council by video link, Tikhanovskaya said the global body should urgently send a mission to Minsk. "Today my country is in turmoil. Peaceful protesters are being illegally detained, beaten and imprisoned," said Tikhanovskaya, 37. "We ask the UN to send immediately a monitoring mission to Belarus to document the situation on the ground," Tikhanovskaya, an English teacher by training, said in English. Tikhanovskaya said Belarus strongman Alexander Lukashenko's regime was "morally bankrupt" and the international community should help put an end to "cynical disregard for human dignity in the middle of Europe."

She urged the West to introduce sanctions against those who "committed electoral violations and crimes against humanity." The informal meeting was organised at the request of Estonia, currently a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council. Unprecedented protests broke out in Belarus after Lukashenko, who has ruled the ex-Soviet state for 26 years, claimed re-election with 80% of the vote in an election on August 9. Tikhanovskaya insists she won the poll but the Belarus strongman has refused to quit and turned to Russia for support. Tikhanovskaya left the country under pressure from the authorities and was granted refuge in EU member Lithuania.

Of course Putin/Russia will veto any UN sanctions against Lukashenka, his dictator neighbor.

Related: Belarusian Journalists Sentenced To Three-Day Jail Terms Amid Crackdown On Postelection Protests

The Prime Ministers of Russia and Belarus discussed the issue of redirecting Belarusian cargo to Russian ports instead of Lithuanian ports.

All roads lead to Russia. Sooner or later. But it is better to choose the road early.

The Prime Ministers of Russia and Belarus discussed the issue of redirecting Belarusian cargo to Russian ports instead of Lithuanian ports.

All roads lead to Russia. Sooner or later. But it is better to choose the road early.

Good. Lukashenka can pay the high Russian duties on his imports. Putin now has him firmly by the short hairs.

How will he explain to his people/military why he is surrendering measures of Belarussian sovereignty to Moscow?

Good. Lukashenka can pay the high Russian duties on his imports. Putin now has him firmly by the short hairs.

How will he explain to his people/military why he is surrendering measures of Belarussian sovereignty to Moscow?

Tikhanovskaya going to plead with foreigners to sanction Belarussians is a big error on her part. Should finish her off.

As I told you a while ago, Belarus is not going to have a 'color revolution'. Moscow is playing this carefully, but we hold all the cards because these are our brothers. I think you know this too.

Tikhanovskaya going to plead with foreigners to sanction Belarussians is a big error on her part. Should finish her off.

As I told you a while ago, Belarus is not going to have a 'color revolution'. Moscow is playing this carefully, but we hold all the cards because these are our brothers. I think you know this too.

Belarus is a small nothing country with little potential.

I feel badly for the people, but if they're not willing to fight for their freedom like the Ukrainians, then they'll have to suck it up and live under a dictatorship.

I would recommend that the "people's President of Belarus" in exile pay more attention to the environment, drink and food, because a deadly Novichok by the order of you know who, can strike his merciless blow at any moment, (especially since it is obvious that this idiot is much more useful to the West dead.)

:roll:

Lukashenka replaced his KGB Director at the 'advice' of Putin.

Alexander Grigoryevich will make a very big lapdog.

London will allocate about $2 million more in aid to independent media in Belarus.
London's financial aid to "independent media" means that these media outlets are now dependent on money from London. The word "independent" in the case of money for the media, the media write for self-love and deception of the audience

Belarus is a small nothing country with little potential.

I feel badly for the people, but if they're not willing to fight for their freedom like the Ukrainians, then they'll have to suck it up and live under a dictatorship.

Translated : the big brave West will encourage the Belarus protestors but will leave them to their own fate once the shooting starts.

Ukraine? I don't see them fighting to reclaim control over their own sovereign territory in the separatist regions.

And as for Crimea, most of the Ukrainian military defected to join Russia. :lol:

Typical Russian troll whataboutism. Anything but the thread topic.

I assume you want some analysis and discussion ........ this is a discussion forum after all :roll:

Otherwise the thread topic is just a statement of fact. Person A says xyz.

Well yes. But I don't live in the sterile world of identity politics you seem to prefer. Either we are discussing something or we aren't.

Typical Russian troll whataboutism. Anything but the thread topic.

Tikhanovskaya in PACE:
"It is necessary that international pressure be exerted on this regime (the Belarusian one)."

A beautiful wish from this bitch for her country...

It is necessary to strangle Belarus with sanctions, and then, in 50 years... nothing will change, as practice shows.
Only people will live worse.

Tikhanovskaya in PACE:
"It is necessary that international pressure be exerted on this regime (the Belarusian one)."

Yes. Slap even more sanctions on the dictators.

Back
Top Bottom