• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belarus Opposition Figure Detained at Ukraine Border

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

BB18zCkT.img

9/8/20
Belarus said Tuesday that a leading opposition figure, Maria Kolesnikova, had been detained while trying to cross the Ukrainian border, but Kyiv said she was being held after resisting a forced deportation. Kolesnikova played a major role in the campaign of opposition candidate Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, who claimed victory over President Alexander Lukashenko in a disputed election last month, and has since spoken at huge protests against his rule. Tikhanovskaya on Tuesday called for Kolesnikova to be "freed immediately." "By kidnapping people in broad daylight, Lukashenko is showing his weakness and fear," she said in a statement from Lithuania, where she has taken refuge. Belarusian border guards said Kolesnikova had attempted to flee across the border at around 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday along with two other members of the opposition's Coordination Council, press secretary Anton Rodnenkov and executive secretary Ivan Kravtsov.

Ukraine confirmed that Kravtsov and Rodnenkov had crossed the border but gave a different account of events, saying Kolesnikova had resisted moves to force her to leave Belarus. "This was not a voluntary departure. It was forced deportation," Deputy Interior Minister Anton Gerashchenko wrote on Facebook. He said Kolesnikova "took actions" to prevent her leaving. The Interfax-Ukraine news agency cited a source as saying she tore up her passport.

According to Ukrainian Border Guards at the border, the Belarus KGB attempted to force Mariya Kolesnikova across the Belarus/Ukraine border ... a forced deportation. Ms. Kolesnikova refused and even tore up her Belarusian passport to prevent the forced deportation. She remains in KGB custody somewhere within Belarus.

Related: Lukashenka Says He 'Maybe Overstayed A Bit' Amid Outrage Over Missing Foe's Detention At Border

The Belarusian dictator is became so lazy, that local free-thinking oppositionists have to stage the deaths of protesters and kidnappings of their cardboard leaders themselves.

BB18zCkT.img

According to Ukrainian Border Guards at the border, the Belarus KGB attempted to force Mariya Kolesnikova across the Belarus/Ukraine border ... a forced deportation. Ms. Kolesnikova refused and even tore up her Belarusian passport to prevent the forced deportation. She remains in KGB custody somewhere within Belarus.

Related: Lukashenka Says He 'Maybe Overstayed A Bit' Amid Outrage Over Missing Foe's Detention At Border

Hopefully Lukashenko is able to maintain order. He seems to be a good leader, and he's one of the only ones on Earth not to have fallen for the coronavirus hysteria.

Hopefully Lukashenko is able to maintain order. He seems to be a good leader, and he's one of the only ones on Earth not to have fallen for the coronavirus hysteria.

Why don't you move there AmNat? You'd be a natural for the Lukashenka KGB.

Unlike you, I'm not a globalist. While I wish good on all men and am therefore happy for the Belarusians, my primary concerns are with my own people.

You know what is said about who not to feed.

That would be he and the (currently) two other ones. ;)

Unlike you, I'm not a globalist.

A globalist would be a poor fit for the Lukashenka KGB.

Hence my suggestion that you offer your services.

Back
Top Bottom