• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Belarus Mess

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Looks like "White Russia" went to the dark side.

lol...all of it done with Putin's aid, of course.
210316130626-putin-lukashenko-0222-super-169.jpg

Russian President Vladimir Putin swiftly moved to support Lukashenko in August with a $1.5 billion loan and other unspecified assistance.

Russian President Vladimir Putin swiftly moved to support Lukashenko in August with a $1.5 billion loan and other unspecified assistance.
Belarus has been on the "Dark Side" since Luka first became their leader, which is 1994, but a good date could also be '93 when he used his position as "interim chairman of the anti-corruption committee" to accuse all his political rivals of corruption (all which turned out to be complete bogus).

Belarus has been on the "Dark Side" since Luka first became their leader, which is 1994, but a good date could also be '93 when he used his position as "interim chairman of the anti-corruption committee" to accuse all his political rivals of corruption (all which turned out to be complete bogus).
Yeah, the Republicans try that here every year.

"White Russia" well. do you know that this term is terrible offensive to all Belarusians and badly misleading one ?

I put it in quotes for a reason.
i see, will it work for CNN if we cover N- word with quotes ?

Franak Viačorka is one of the best experts on this subject , easy to find him on FB

Where does the term come from?
The name Belarus comes from the term Belaya Rus meaning roughly "White Rus". Exactly why it's called that is uncertain, as is how old the term is. At points the lands of the Rus were referred to as Black Ruthenia, Red Ruthenia and White Ruthenia by outsiders, but even which territories counted as which shifted over time. During the Polish- Lithuanian commonwealth the term was used for only some parts of modern Belarus, while during the Russian Empire, the Rus were divided in Great Russia, Little Russia and White Russia, with White Russia being loosely defined as the same territory of modern Belarus.

Where does the term come from?
nobody knows exactly, its very deep historical question, one for sure , it has nothing to do with 18c. Muscovite czar Piter´s own creation - "russia" (rossiya)

The name Belarus comes from the term Belaya Rus ...
are you an ethic Muscovite? your posts are full Moscow´s imperial constructions , tuns of book written on this subject , its not that simple
" while during the Russian Empire, the Rus were divided in Great Russia, Little Russia and White Russia " divided by who ? any link ?

"Rus were divided " really ?
Kievan Rus' or Kyivan Rus' was a loose federation of East Slavic and Finno-Ugric peoples in Europe from the late 9th to the mid-13th century,

Last edited:
nobody knows exactly, its very deep historical question, one for sure , it has nothing to do with 18c. Muscovite czar Piter´s own creation - "russia" (rossiya)

Incorrect as usual.

How can the citizens of WHITE RUSSIA be offended by the name WHITE RUSSIA which is what Belarus means?

are you an ethic Muscovite? your posts are full Moscow´s imperial constructions , tuns of book written on this subject , its not that simple
" while during the Russian Empire, the Rus were divided in Great Russia, Little Russia and White Russia " divided by who ? any link ?

Kievan Rus' or Kyivan Rus' was a loose federation of East Slavic and Finno-Ugric peoples in Europe from the late 9th to the mid-13th century,

Litwin,

You teaching history is like a first grade student teaching Quantum Physics.

The Kievian Rus were absorbed into the Grand Duchy of Moscow who then became RUSSIA.

That is history. Fact.

RUSSIA.

Not Muscovy.

RUSSIA.

The Polish/Lithuania Commonwealth tried to force the Belarus to become Polish.

That ended with RUSSIA spanking the Poles and Lithuanians again and taking over.

During the Russian Empire, the people that were considered during THAT ERA to be Rus, as in East Slavic was by the Russian Empire at that time divided in Great Russia, Little Russia and White Russia. That was literary what the place was called.
TODAY, the people of Belarus prefers the name Belarus in English, because the name White Russia sounds like they are a part of Russia which they are not. I am not talking about Kievan Rus, the name did not exist during Kievan Rus yet. The name started to appear at some point later, dating unclear.

i see, will it work for CNN if we cover N- word with quotes ?

Franak Viačorka is one of the best experts on this subject , easy to find him on FB

White Russia has nothing to do with race. You should know this.

The 16th century chronicler Alexander Guagnini's book Sarmatiae Europeae descriptio wrote that Rus' was divided in three parts. The first part, under the rule of the Moscovite Grand Duke, was called White Russia. The second one, under the rule of Polish king, was called Black Russia. And the rest was Red Ruthenia. He also said Moscow was the center of White Russia and Russian metropolitanate, and that Grand Duke of Moscow was called the White Czar, especially by his subjects.

Why everyone so down on Putin?

He just wants to reunite Russian peoples, ( seems we've heard this for some European leader before )

I mean, what could go wrong.

He just wants to reunite Russian peoples, ( seems we've heard this for some European leader before )

Belarusians are Europeans , Muscovites are the mongols , and puin knows it

Belarusians are Europeans , Muscovites are the mongols , and puin knows it
To this day I find it difficult to understand exactly why the Brits failed to take Hitler up on his offer of peace so he could focus on wiping out the Soviet Union. The only thing that makes sense is the Brits feared him more than Stalin, and a fascist Germany with Russia's natural resources would indeed have been dangerous.

So...did the cocktail, white Russian, come from belarus?

I don't know, but I do know that if you drink too many of them, the puke will be one of the worst ever experienced. Well...second to maybe eggnog puke. Not much is worse than feeling that taste come up out of your nose.

Scarlett Johansson isn't Belarussian. She was born in NYC. Scarlett is a New Yorker.

Her dad is a Danish Swede and her mom a Polish Jew, also born in New York, once surnamed Schlamberg. I guess if her mom's family lived far enough east in Poland that could be spun to mean Belarussian. But, that's her mom.

Belarussians and Russians are not the same thing, and Putin really doesn't care as long as Luka is in charge in Minsk and doesn't try anything.

No, that one's from Oakland. Or at least the first mention of the drink ever is from Oakland Tribune.

Scarlett Johansson isn't Belarussian. She was born in NYC. Scarlett is a New Yorker.

Her dad is a Danish Swede and her mom a Polish Jew, also born in New York, once surnamed Schlamberg. I guess if her mom's family lived far enough east in Poland that could be spun to mean Belarussian. But, that's her mom.
I see you a big fan of Scarlett Johansson , i think USA and Belarus can share here much like Tadeusz Kościuszko is a national hero of Belarus, Poland, USA, France, LR, and Ukraine today

Scarlett Johansson has Belarusian roots - belsat.eu
naviny.belsat.eu › news

18 Apr 2012 — Scarlett Johansson has Belarusian roots ... The Hollywood star told reporters at the press conference in Moscow on April 17, 2012 that her mother ...

Scarlett Johansson says she has Belarusian roots - Charter'97 ...
charter97.org › news

18 Apr 2012 — Scarlett Johansson says she has Belarusian roots ... The actress said at presentation of The Avengers her family was originally from Minsk, ...

I see you a big fan of Scarlett Johansson ...
About ten years ago, I was. For sure. As an older actress, however, I believe I appreciate Kate Winslett more than Scarlett.

Scarlett Johansson has Belarusian roots - belsat.eu
naviny.belsat.eu › news

18 Apr 2012 — Scarlett Johansson has Belarusian roots ... The Hollywood star told reporters at the press conference in Moscow on April 17, 2012 that her mother ...
Scarlett Johansson says she has Belarusian roots - Charter'97 ...
charter97.org › news

18 Apr 2012 — Scarlett Johansson says she has Belarusian roots ... The actress said at presentation of The Avengers her family was originally from Minsk, ...
Ah, "roots." I'll accept that.

Back
Top Bottom