• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beirut Synagogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mira

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Alas..... more victims of the Palestinian catalyzed Lebanese Civil War in which the Jews below are all that's left.
And of course app 1 Million Maronites now live in North America. (and some in France and the EU too) Also victims of 'tolerant' Islam and a weak precursor of what would happen to Jews in a 'one state' solution.

It continues:
"...Judaism is one of the country's 17 officially recognized faiths, and the local Jewish population numbered more than 20,000 before the civil war.

Today, the several dozen Jews remaining in Lebanon hold few religious activities other than prayer services during the High Holidays. Many Jewish residents are in middle age or older, and affluent.

Last edited:
Alas..... more victims of the Palestinian catalyzed Lebanese Civil War in which the Jews below are all that's left.
And of course app 1 Million Maronites now live in North America. (and some in France and the EU too) Also victims of 'tolerant' Islam and a weak precursor of what would happen to Jews in a 'one state' solution.

It continues:

Noop, you are wrong. The Christians fled the war because they could afford to and now they are going back and investing. Lebanon was divided during the war and both sides were under equal danger of getting killed under shelling.
I grew up on the Muslim side and my neighbourhood was in majority Christian. All of the churches were open and full on Sundays and holidays, and my school was Evangelical. Around Christmas streets and shop windows were decorated and many Muslims celebrated Christmas and offered each other presents. On the Christian side there was only one single street in the Ashrafieh neighbourhood where Muslilms lived. Beside the mosque on that street and teh one in Jbeil, all the others were destroyed.

Noop, you are wrong. The Christians fled the war because they could afford to and now they are going back and investing. Lebanon was divided during the war and both sides were under equal danger of getting killed under shelling.
I get it. Christian's fled only because they had money (not the War), they never really wanted to live in Lebanon anyway.

.... Beside the mosque on that street and teh one in Jbeil, all the others were destroyed.
Sounds religous. With, as usual, you taking the 'other' side with an anecdote as 'proof'.
I'm sure no Churches were destroyed except the one at, ie, Damour.

Of course, Christians have been pretty much purged from the rest of the Muslim Arab Middle East.. Too.
That would include Palestinian Christians fleeing Muslim abuse.
And that there are only a few dozen Jews left in Lebanon.

Last edited:
I get it. Christian's fled only because they had money (not the War), they never really wanted to live in Lebanon anyway.

touche!

especially so because Lebanon was originally established to be the CHRISTIAN country in the M.E., having a Christian majority upon inception.

Sounds religous. With, as usual, you taking the 'other' side with an anecdote as 'proof'.
I'm sure no Churches were destroyed except the one at, ie, Damour.

Of course, Christians have been pretty much purged from the rest of the Muslim Arab Middle East.. Too.
That would include Palestinian Christians fleeing Muslim abuse.
And that there are only a few dozen Jews left in Lebanon.

I think you're not getting it. For 15 years both sides shelled each other with heavy artillery and that's what caused so many civilian casualties. People who had money, fled especially people who could get visas to the U.S or Europe.

You keep talking about Damour, which was a horrible massacre that the Mulsims committed against a Christian village, but what about the Christain massacres against the Muslims? Ever heard of Nab'aa, Tal El Zaatar? Black Saturday, Shi'ah, Karantina, Sabra-Shatila ... ????

So anyhow, not one single church was destroyed on the Mulsim Western side, even Muslims went to chapel in my school, they celebrated Christmas and almost not a single Muslim lived on the Christian side.

That is my experince and you go on believing whatever suits you. It's entirely your problem, not mine.

Adios :2wave:

I think you're not getting it. For 15 years both sides shelled each other with heavy artillery and that's what caused so many civilian casualties. People who had money, fled especially people who could get visas to the U.S or Europe.
And they fled the War on each Other, not decided to take a vacation.
You keep talking about Damour, which was a horrible massacre that the Mulsims committed against a Christian village, but what about the Christain massacres against the Muslims? Ever heard of Nab'aa, Tal El Zaatar? Black Saturday, Shi'ah, Karantina, Sabra-Shatila ... ????
AS always, such Illogical debate as to be funny.
I only mentioned it because, as I said, YOU tried to make it one -sided with YOUR anecdote.. only Mosques were destroyed while all the churches stayed open.

That is my experince and you go on believing whatever suits you. It's entirely your problem, not mine.
Yes, I know, Your experience/Anecdote seeking to deceive that no churches were destroyed during the civil war between religions and Christians fled just for a change of scenery.

Last edited:

How could a "pro-Jew/Christian lobbyist beyond reason" like mbig hear of such events? The ear hears what it wants to hear.

Anyway, nice to see you around here Mira. I haven't seen your posts in ages. Hope your ok.

Last edited:
How could a "pro-Jew/Christian bigot beyond reason" like mbig hear of such events? The ear hears what it wants to hear.

Moderator's Warning:
No, I don't think personal attacks like these are acceptable, so stop before there are more consequences.

And they fled the War on each Other, not decided to take a vacation.

AS always, such Illogical debate as to be funny.
I only mentioned it because, as I said, YOU tried to make it one -sided with YOUR anecdote.. only Mosques were destroyed while all the churches stayed open.

Yes, I know, Your experience/Anecdote seeking to deceive that no churches were destroyed during the civil war between religions and Christians fled just for a change of scenery.

I think you have no idea about Lebanon whatsoever.
Who's talking about vacations ?

Muslims who had money and were able to get visas fled as well.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that is exactly what happened. You never set foot in Lebanon whreas I was born there and lived there until 1989. I believe what I lived and don't care what you imagine Lebanon to be.

How could a "pro-Jew/Christian lobbyist beyond reason" like mbig hear of such events? The ear hears what it wants to hear.

Anyway, nice to see you around here Mira. I haven't seen your posts in ages. Hope your ok.

Nice to see you too Kaya but I'm just passing by. Been extremely busy working and traveling in the M.E.

Nice to see you too Kaya but I'm just passing by. Been extremely busy working and traveling in the M.E.

Well i hope you have safe travels. Be sure to visit us every so often when you have time.

If you'd like to debate any issue on the Middle East, instead of your habit of Loose Cannon Insults (ie, http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe/57094-muslims-28.html#post1058295552 ) and Personal chit chat... I would be glad to oblige.

Mira's citing of the other Massacres, (to which there were of course counter ones), only Proves MY point of why Christians fled.
Her previous posts, until pushed, sought to show only mosques were destroyed, but no churches.

Last edited:
If you'd like to debate any issue on the Middle East, instead of your habit of Loose Cannon Insults (ie, http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe/57094-muslims-28.html#post1058295552 ) and Personal chit chat... I would be glad to oblige.

Mira's citing of the other Massacres, (to which there were of course counter ones), only Proves MY point of why Christians fled.
Her previous posts, until pushed, sought to show only mosques were destroyed, but no churches.

You did not prove any points. Damour ? yes, but how about all the massacres committed by Christians against Muslims ?

I lived in West Beirut until 1989, I saw all the churches intact, open and running. My sister got married in a church, I went to an Evangelical school, the school next door was run by nuns, Christmas decorations and celebrations...

On the Christian side ? Only one mosque left standing in Ashrafieh and one in Jbeil on the historical site of Byblos. So how do you explain that ?

Last edited:

Rofl

Posted: 10-07-09 01:02 PM

Somebody holds grudges. Fortunately, i couldn't care less about your feelings. Your far-right religious propaganda doesn't sit well with me, which is probably while it invokes such passionate respones on my behalf. But please do carry on.

Moderator's Warning:
Next personal attack or "necroing" of old threads nothing to do with the topic, will earn a thread ban and perhaps more.

Are you aware that Mira is of Christian Lebanese background? :confused:

If an Armenian Lebanese Christian isn't credible for posting what she is posting then what is? Lol.

Not only "aware" but she again emphasized/over-emphasized it in this very string.
And yet... she ALWAYS takes the other side. :confused:

BTW, what are YOU doing in this string that now has two Mira FRIENDS but NO ON TOPIC Discussion by them, just piling on.

-

Last edited:
Not only "aware" but she again emphasized/over-emphasized it in this very string.

BTW, what are YOU doing in this string that now has two Mira FRIENDS but NO ON TOPIC Discussion by them, just piling on.

-

I was just surprised at you talking to her that way particularly about Lebanese Christians. As she is one, or rather was brought up as one, I would have thought she might know something about it but I am going to bed now so I will leave you to it.

If an Armenian Lebanese Christian isn't credible for posting what she is posting then what is? Lol.

A person's credibilty has nothing to do with whatever personal claims they may wish to indulge in. They are only as credible as the veracity of the statements they make and the intellectual honesty with which they make them.

The FACTS of the matter in regards to Lebanon are that Christians were once in the majority and are now in the minority with this same trend escalating, and that the Jewish population has been decimated to the point only a few remain. No amount of self-serving posturing on the part of any poster can alter that fact.

I was just surprised at you talking to her that way particularly about Lebanese Christians. As she is one, or rather was brought up as one, I would have thought she might know something about it but I am going to bed now so I will leave you to it.

And WHO diverted from the main subject and brought the Maronite Christians into the thread ?

A person's credibilty has nothing to do with whatever personal claims they may wish to indulge in. They are only as credible as the veracity of the statements they make and the intellectual honesty with which they make them.

The FACTS of the matter in regards to Lebanon are that Christians were once in the majority and are now in the minority with this same trend escalating, and that the Jewish population has been decimated to the point only a few remain. No amount of self-serving posturing on the part of any poster can alter that fact.

Did the Lebanese force them out or did they leave by themselves?

the FACT of the matter is that there has been no census conducted since 1932, so how do YOU out of all people know what the majority in Lebanon is ?
I just got back from Lebanon, it certainly didn't look or feel like a typical Muslim country AT ALL. how about that ?

Did the Lebanese force them out or did they leave by themselves?

What I find telling here is that you define Lebanese AS Muslim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom