• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beer and a Movie

Settled down to 2 things I don't often do: Drink store bought beer and watch a rental.

The beer was a little better than the movie, but bother weren't bad. The beer was "Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale". Clean, refreshing, coppery goodness with a hint of hops and that farmhouse saison tang. Very drinkable more as a blonde ale than a "saison" style beer. Traditionally farmhouse ales were Belgian or French and are fermented in the open - meaning in a barn, open to the air and not covered. Usually this is a no-no as bad little microbes gets access and could spoil the whole lot, but usually this method ads a kind of "funk" to the beer that makes it a "saison" style and very recognizable. Not spectacular, but a solid refreshing summer beer. Another Farmhouse to try: "Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale"

The move was "Youth in Revolt". It started out great - Michael Cera (Juno), Steve Buscemi and Fred Willard are in this movie about a weenie geek falling in love and breaking the law to prove his love. An off-beat coming of age movie about what else - boy finds girl, tries like heck to get laid - burns down building, destroys two cars and ultimately dresses up as a girl to wet his willie - while also inventing a "bad" version of himself that plays the guide to badness. I liked the writing, the smart dialogue. The ending I thought was under par but I won't blow it for ya. There are some very funny moments making it worth a view. Ultimately I finished the movie with only a slight bout of gas and this unsatisfying feeling which wasn't the beers fault.

Belgian beers tend to be a little on the sour side for me.

Back
Top Bottom