• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beck Smears Obama 11 year old Daugter

RyrineaHaruno

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
What an ass. I give him credit for apologizing, at least. Kids should never be brought into this.

What an ass. I give him credit for apologizing, at least. Kids should never be brought into this.

Yes, I do give him credit on apolozing thought I think he should have never made the comment in the first place.

Meh whatever, I didn't need this to prove he's a ****. Excuse my swahili.

What an ass, though not surprising.

Way to discredit oneself and one's movement.
I hope he keeps it up, and I'm sure Obama and Malia do too.

Yes, I do give him credit on apolozing thought I think he should have never made the comment in the first place.

clearly he agrees with you; hence, his apology.

You know, I buy these apologies less and less these days. It seems too convenient, now - every time someone says something they *know* they shouldn't - they just apologies and think it's OK. . . and then fouls again.

The POINT of an apology is to say "sorry, I will not do it again" - and then actually make a strong effort not to do it again.

Beck makes no such effort to avoid labeling and offending people. thus, from him, this apology is fake.

You know, I buy these apologies less and less these days. It seems too convenient, now - every time someone says something they *know* they shouldn't - they just apologies and think it's OK. . . and then fouls again.

The POINT of an apology is to say "sorry, I will not do it again" - and then actually make a strong effort not to do it again.

Beck makes no such effort to avoid labeling and offending people. thus, from him, this apology is fake.

I agree. How many people took David Letterman's apology as being serious when he made fun of Sarah Palin's children. It is the same thing you say a joke you know you shouldn't say and then apologize for it afterwards.

I agree. How many people took David Letterman's apology as being serious when he made fun of Sarah Palin's children. It is the same thing you say a joke you know you shouldn't say and then apologize for it afterwards.

Maybe I missed it, but did Beck come out and say that obviously he meant the other older daughter-- and just got their names confused?

hmm, Beck's joke made fun of the "george bush hates black people" line. Letterman's made fun of child rape. i'm thinking the two =\=

hmm, Beck's joke made fun of the "george bush hates black people" line. Letterman's made fun of child rape. i'm thinking the two =\=

The issue isn't the content of the joke - that's a separate thing.

The issue is that both used the children of President Obama and Sarah Palin as part of a joke. . . which = bringing the children into the political spectrum.

Children should be off limits. There should be no jokes made about them, concerning them, with them at all. No mockery, no mimicry - nothing.

Maybe I missed it, but did Beck come out and say that obviously he meant the other older daughter-- and just got their names confused?

I could careless who Letterman was talking about, whether he meant the older daughter or not. The fact still remains he went after a child.

Context wise one could be worse sure. That isn't the point. The point is both men went after children for a political joke which is sickening. In my book they are both equally as disgusting.

Children should be left out of politics, and it is wrong to bring them in too rants liked what Letterman, and Rush did in their rants. Attack the man not their Family, since I think that it some one with no morals or ethics that attacks the family of a politicians in congress.

There was nothing wrong with the skit until he got to the point of talking about the kids education to my mind. At that point, he crossed the line.

since we are discussing propriety, the content of the joke is not a seperate issue. the mere mention of a politicians' family is not verboten; had Beck said "now i will give him credit on this, he appears to have a very nice family, malia and her sister appear to be well adjusted happy girls" etc no one would have lost their mind exploding about howtheycan'tbelievebeckwouldbringuptheidslikethat. so the content is indeed part of the conversation. saying that a politicians' child would internalize that politicians' opinions about his opposition is a good deal less offensive than calling a politicians child a slut at best and thinking that their child being raped would be funny at worst.

i'm not out here saying that the idea was a good one. even beck doesn't think that. but to say this is the equivalent of the letterman bit? no.

There was nothing wrong with the skit until he got to the point of talking about the kids education to my mind. At that point, he crossed the line.

My impression was that the whole "skit" was essentially Beck mocking Obama for (arguably) fabricating the whole "father/daughter bathroom/shaving conversation" in the first place. When he (Obama) first made the "Daddy why don't you plug the hole" statement my eyes did the roll thingy. Not really an uncommon tactic used by politicians in general to add a little anecdotal warm 'n fuzzy to their message. Don't believe he was taking any potshots at the kids.

With that said, can't imagine that Beck didn't realize he would be getting blowback from doing that segment on the air.

Last edited:
I could careless who Letterman was talking about, whether he meant the older daughter or not. The fact still remains he went after a child.

Um... Palin's older daughter is an ADULT.

You're welcome.

since we are discussing propriety, the content of the joke is not a seperate issue. the mere mention of a politicians' family is not verboten; had Beck said "now i will give him credit on this, he appears to have a very nice family, malia and her sister appear to be well adjusted happy girls" etc no one would have lost their mind exploding about howtheycan'tbelievebeckwouldbringuptheidslikethat. so the content is indeed part of the conversation. saying that a politicians' child would internalize that politicians' opinions about his opposition is a good deal less offensive than calling a politicians child a slut at best and thinking that their child being raped would be funny at worst.

i'm not out here saying that the idea was a good one. even beck doesn't think that. but to say this is the equivalent of the letterman bit? no.

If he had not mentioned the children's education in an insulting manner, there would have been nothing wrong with the skit to my mind. Comedians have been using the children of presidents as the setup for jokes at least since Bob Hope and Amy Carter. The issue is in how some use them.

Nothing more to add other than to say Beck is an idiot.

Oh wait... children are off limits? :2razz:

Stupid skit and stupid comment. If I'd been listening I probably would have changed the station.

One question..

Was it inappropriate for Obama to use his daughter to reinforce his message regarding the oil spill?

Stupid skit and stupid comment. If I'd been listening I probably would have changed the station.

One question..

Was it inappropriate for Obama to use his daughter to reinforce his message regarding the oil spill?

Did he insult her by doing so? Then no. If Beck had refrained from insulting her education, would his skit been appropriate? Yup.

Did he insult her by doing so? Then no. If Beck had refrained from insulting her education, would his skit been appropriate? Yup.

Beck's comment was in response to Obama bringing his daughter to the forefront by including her comment (real or fictional, who knows) into the discussion. Somehere have said that children should be left out of politics, so does that mean all the time, or just when they are made fun of?

Beck's comment was in response to Obama bringing his daughter to the forefront by including her comment (real or fictional, who knows) into the discussion. Somehere have said that children should be left out of politics, so does that mean all the time, or just when they are made fun of?

I think as long as you are not insulting or making fun of the children, there is not a problem. As I mentioned earlier, I remember Bob Hope making jokes that involved Amy Carter, and it was not even a problem. Of course, Amy Carter was not the butt of the jokes, her dad was.

One question..

Obama is DAD - he can bring his children into the fray all he wants.
Other people should NOT.

Beck should know better.

Back
Top Bottom