• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beck: Obama won't meet with Hayward because "he's a white CEO"

Media Matters just posts clips, how are they full of **** exactly? From what i've seen, they are careful to keep the clips in context as well. I think Beckerheads just get pissed when someone documents all the crazy **** he says.

You can't be that niave. Please dear God tell me you aren't that niave.

Did you even listen to what Obama said pitting white businessmen against inner city youth?

Its painfully obvious you didn't watch the clip because Beck is dripping with sarcasm.

Media Matters is George Soros' bitch and the posterchild for far left suckers to mop up this garbage like the trolls that they are.

Well I work in video production for a living, and whenever I watch MediaMatters clips, IF they do make a cut, they make sure not to lose the context. Name one instance where they've posted something that was out of context? I think a lot of conservatives immediately dismiss mediamatters because the conservative media constantly berates them (which they have every right to do). If you compare aMM to conservative outlets like Parents TV Council, or Media Research Center, MM has a more mature approach, and isn't as blatantly partisan (as soon as you go to MRC's site a little box with Mark Levin pops up saying "DONT BELIEVE THE LIBERAL MEDIA!" for christ's sake!).
Exactly, MediaMatters is very credible, that's why conservatives attack them so much. Mediamatters are journalists whereas sites like Newsbusters are a bunch of hacks who complain day and night about the so-called liberal media.

Exactly, MediaMatters is very credible, that's why conservatives attack them so much. Mediamatters are journalists whereas sites like Newsbusters are a bunch of hacks who complain day and night about the so-called liberal media.

Another liberal falling for this garbage. Did you even watch the clip from Beck?

Another liberal falling for this garbage. Did you even watch the clip from Beck?

I just did and have come to one conclusion. How can one possibly watch Glen Beck in action without needing a barf bag?

I just did and have come to one conclusion. How can one possibly watch Glen Beck in action without needing a barf bag?

Classic liberal response. You can't object to what he said about Media Matters being deceptive, so you instead go for the personal attack.

I know, I know... You can't help yourself.

I can't comment on this specific one as I'm at work so can't watch the clip.

I have seen a number of times in the past where Media Matters does one of two things. They either take something completely out of context or relatively out of context OR they work at CHANGING the context.

What I mean is that they use their own individual commentary, headlines, and other such things to precondition the viewer (who, if they're reading Media Matters in and of itself generally already has some form of precondition) to what they want to see. As it was once put, the eyes see what the brain hears.

For example, lets say I tell you I have this neat black and white image of this young french lady circa the 1700's with a nice fur coat and two toned hair and ask you to tell me what details you like and then show you this:

illusion.jpg

Then you're far, far more likely to see that particular image out of this picture then the other image that is equally easy to see...that of the elderly native american woman in a hood.

If I talk about this neat abstract picture of Marilyn Monroe done in black and white and ask you to tell me if its a good depiction you're likely to see the woman in this one...

illusion_sax.gif

Instead of the long nosed man that could almost be bill clinton playing the sax.

Now, it doesn't mean you DEFINITELY will see one image over the other. And if you go into it knowing or having a good hunch there's more than one way to view it then it decreases it affect. But that's essentially what they're doing.

Beck, and any entertaininer or speaker or person really, caters to their audiance generally. They state things or do things with a bit of a predetermined understanding that those that watch them "get them". This is akin to how many people may act different, say things differently, when in the midst of a group of friernds and aquaintences then they would a group of strangers. So if Beck says something that is essentially his version of humor, a version of humor that his audiance has grown to know and understand as such, with proper prompting and casting prior to or immedietely after the clip to a person that either is unfamiliar with how Beck is or even better is predisposed to distrust and dislike Beck then it becomes far easier to paint a completely different picture of what his words mean.

The above, even more than the context thing, is one of Media Matter's favorite tricks with these kind of things. They are illusionists of the highest order. Rather than take something out of context they use their own words and the biases of most of those reading to rearrange the context to fit what they want to present.

I would actually say a key example of this on the other side would be how conservatives grasped onto the "Guns and Bibles" thing by Obama. Obama was speaking to a bunch of like minded liberals who, viewing that statement in a stereotypical liberal mindset, saw it clearly as Obama suggesting that these people were afraid that democrats would take these thinsg away so were clinging to them due to fear. Republicans grasped this and using the full statement but adding their own commentary before and after were able to present their own context and image to it to their predisposed listeners that what Obama was truly doing was belittling and insulting people for being religious or pro-second amendment. In both instances you could give the exact wording in the exact same way and based on the individual hearing its predisposition to the person mixed with the commentary given before and after it by those presenting the information two very different pictures can be painted.

Is that what happened in this particular case with Beck? I don't know, can't know till I get home and watch the video. But the vast majority of Beck or Limbaugh threads I've seen in this forum tend to be that or something taken out of context.

Very well stated. Furthermore, Media Matters is frequently and ironically cited by types who spend great amounts of time and energy kvetching about Rupert Murdoch owned enterprises and how his ownership renders the same "biased" and therefore unreliable. Because a George Soros owned enterprise is somehow, someway not supposed to be "biased" and therefore unreliable, as it performs the old pot and kettle show.:roll:

Yes, I watched it and watched it again. Would you change your impression of Glenn Beck if you knew that he left off words from the quote from Barack Obama?
Click on the following link and play the audio, advance the slider to about the 12 minute mark and hear what Obama said in full context.

Barack Obama - 1995 Audio Interview on "Dreams From My Father"

Certainly is easier to dismiss him than actually look at the video isn't it?

Yes, I watched it and watched it again. Would you change your impression of Glenn Beck if you knew that he left off words from the quote from Barack Obama?
Click on the following link and play the audio, advance the slider to about the 12 minute mark and hear what Obama said in full context.

Barack Obama - 1995 Audio Interview on "Dreams From My Father"

I listened to it. How does claiming the "browning of America" change ANYTHING in what he said in the book about white businesmen?

Explain that. I'd love to hear you spin it.

Last edited:
What is so compelling in the video?

He lays out the race baiting and racist language Obama has used in framing debates inserting false racism to keep the devisions because that's how Democrats retain power.

I listened to it. How does claiming the "browning of America" change ANYTHING in what he said in the book about white businesmen?

Explain that. I'd love to hear you spin it.

Please explain why Beck left out the part when Barack Obama spoke about the responsibility of the inner-city children? Regardless of what YOU think Obama was saying, wasn't Beck being biased when he left that part out at the end?

Please explain why Beck left out the part when Barack Obama spoke about the responsibility of the inner-city children? Regardless of what YOU think Obama was saying, wasn't Beck being biased when he left that part out at the end?

I'll ask again, what does that have ANYTHING do with what he said about white businessmen AT ALL?

and where is that in his book? Your link is to an interview NOT what is in the book

Last edited:
I'll ask again, what does that have ANYTHING do with what he said about white businessmen AT ALL?

and where is that in his book? Your link is to an interview NOT what is in the book

That interview is where Beck lifted Obama's words [see bolding below]:
[11:18 audio] THOMPSON: I'm wondering if the ethnically mixed couple of today, if when their child is 34 years old, if they'll find it any easier to deal with these issues then than you have found it now?

OBAMA: That's an interesting question. I'm not sure. I think in some ways there's less novelty to the idea of mixed couples. They're not seen as lurid or perverse in ways that I think they were 30 years ago. I think that this country is inevitably going to be undergoing changes simply due to demographics. I think that there's been a lot of talk about the "browning of America" --

THOMPSON: I was just going to use that same phrase.

OBAMA: Right. And I think that is going to be happening, and we can't ignore it. I think whether or not my children or your children will have to struggle with these same issues depends on what we do and whether we take some mutual responsibility for bridging the divisions that exist right now. And I really want to emphasize the word "responsibility."

I think that whether you are a white executive living out in the suburbs who doesn't want to pay taxes to inner-city children to -- for them to go to school
or you are a inner-city child who doesn't want to take responsibility for keeping your street safe and clean, both of those groups have to take some responsibility if we're going to get beyond the kinds of divisions that we face right now.

The bolding is what Glenn Beck presented in the video; the words in red are the words he left out as he cut the quote mid sentence.

[11:18 audio] THOMPSON: I'm wondering if the ethnically mixed couple of today, if when their child is 34 years old, if they'll find it any easier to deal with these issues then than you have found it now?

OBAMA: That's an interesting question. I'm not sure. I think in some ways there's less novelty to the idea of mixed couples. They're not seen as lurid or perverse in ways that I think they were 30 years ago. I think that this country is inevitably going to be undergoing changes simply due to demographics. I think that there's been a lot of talk about the "browning of America" --

OBAMA: Right. And I think that is going to be happening, and we can't ignore it. I think whether or not my children or your children will have to struggle with these same issues depends on what we do and whether we take some mutual responsibility for bridging the divisions that exist right now. And I really want to emphasize the word "responsibility."

I think that whether you are a white executive living out in the suburbs who doesn't want to pay taxes to inner-city children to -- for them to go to school
or you are a inner-city child who doesn't want to take responsibility for keeping your street safe and clean, both of those groups have to take some responsibility if we're going to get beyond the kinds of divisions that we face right now.

The bolding is what Glenn Beck presented in the video; the words in red are the words he left out as he cut the quote mid sentence.

And there are still those who argue Beck isn't dishonest. Sadly.

How do you continue to miss the point? You add on to that quote Beck laid out and NOTHING changes. He is still using race to separate poor from rich.

No matter how you spin it that hasn't changed a bit.

And there are still those who argue Beck isn't dishonest. Sadly.

There is nothing dishonest about what Beck did. I'll ask you the same question. How does adding that part onto the sentence change the fact that Obama is using racial devision between rich and poor?

Or are you under the impression that all exceutives are white? LOL

You add on to that quote Beck laid out and NOTHING changes.

It only changes in terms of context. Which is, you know, minor. Instead of Obama saying that white executives don't take responsability, it becomes a statement on people who don't take responsability. It's no longer a statement aimed at race but one aimed at a parcticular attitude.

How do you continue to miss the point? You add on to that quote Beck laid out and NOTHING changes. He is still using race to separate poor from rich.

No matter how you spin it that hasn't changed a bit.
If you think MY point is to prove to you that Obama isn't racist, you are wrong, there is now way in hades I could do that. If you point is that Obama is racist, that's just your opinion - who the heck cares what your opinion the matter anyway?

This subsection of the board is about bias in the media. By taking Obama's quotes out of context, the filter of Glenn Beck added bias to his story. He does it all the time, he tells the sycophant conservatives exactly what the want to hear. He's a liar.

There is nothing dishonest about what Beck did. I'll ask you the same question. How does adding that part onto the sentence change the fact that Obama is using racial devision between rich and poor?

Or are you under the impression that all exceutives are white? LOL

So you think obama is too lofty and haughty and sugar worded when he speaks but when he starts to speak common english using common conceptions such as rich white guy and poor black guy that have been demographically and traditionally true (and yet a stereotype, true) for a very long time you dislike it and call him a racist?

It only changes in terms of context. Which is, you know, minor. Instead of Obama saying that white executives don't take responsability, it becomes a statement on people who don't take responsability. It's no longer a statement aimed at race but one aimed at a parcticular attitude.

Wrong. It doesn't change his racial devision at all. It simply adds another.

If you think MY point is to prove to you that Obama isn't racist, you are wrong, there is now way in hades I could do that. If you point is that Obama is racist, that's just your opinion - who the heck cares what your opinion the matter anyway?

We aren't even in the same universe. This isn't about personal opinion. Its about the OP.

This subsection of the board is about bias in the media. By taking Obama's quotes out of context, the filter of Glenn Beck added bias to his story. He does it all the time, he tells the sycophant conservatives exactly what the want to hear. He's a liar.

It is NOT out of context. Stop lying. Nothing added to that statement changes the fact obama associated rich with white and poor with non white.

So you think obama is too lofty and haughty and sugar worded when he speaks but when he starts to speak common english using common conceptions such as rich white guy and poor black guy that have been demographically and traditionally true (and yet a stereotype, true) for a very long time you dislike it and call him a racist?

Read carefully. I said he used race to devide rich and poor. Its perpectuating a lie based on generaliities. Not all rich people are white and not all poor people are black. Its race baiting and Beck was right to point it out.

Back
Top Bottom