• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beck attacks Chris Coons as "a Marxist," a "staunch anti-capitalist"

Because I don't think he is one. He might have toyed with it at one time just like O'Donnell toyed with witch craft at one time.

What do you base your opinion on?

The sedition laws are still on the books.

Nobody said anything about sedition laws... geez, you sure are stretching one poster's statement to make it fit what you want it to say.

She said Marxism is anti-American. I'm not saying she's right (though she is, but that's beside the point), but nowhere did she even suggest that Marxists aren't free to their opinion. If there are laws making it illegal (there aren't, but again, beside the point), it has no relation to the context, since she never said anything about them.

I'm still waiting on O'Donnells platform. Last I checked all her web site said was more or less.

I dont know...She has said she believes in fully funding the war on terror, on efficient government, while at the same time she has indicated she supports effective federal spending on progams like education. I think there have been SOME issues discussed...but it kind of gets clouded when all the left wants to talk about is not Coons, but an MTV video from 1994.

Does Coons have a plan beyond raise taxes spend more federal money?

If it is "anti-American" it is sedition.

No, it's not. You can burn an American flag and police can't do jack sh*t, because there's this thing called the 1st Amendment protecting free speech.

EDIT: And what does it even matter? You said something like "and here I thought we had political freedom in this country"... in response to someone saying Marxism is anti-American. NOT in response to someone saying anti-American views are sedition, because nobody ever said that here. If you're mad about not being allowed to have certain views for some reason, okay then, but it's completely unrelated to the topic and has nothing to do with the comment you were responding to.

Last edited:
It turns out that Glenn Beck got it right. 25 years ago Coons wrote an article for the Amherst College Newspaper in which he talks about his own transformation from a close minded conservative to an open minded bearded Marxist.

So I'd say that's pretty cut and dried.

You forgot to mention he was only 21 then. The belief he ended up as a mature man is much more important than the meandering of his youth.

ricksfolly

You forgot to mention he was only 21 then. The belief he ended up as a mature man is much more important than the meandering of his youth.

ricksfolly

100 percent agree.

Now ... Let's all figure out what his political philosophy is currently.

ricksfolly

A fine point. And we can only hope that O'Donnell is given that same level of respect in the Senatorial race and from the media in general.

(just teasin'......they are gonna chew her up worse than they did Palin. ;) )

There is an awful lot of denial in this thread.

A fine point. And we can only hope that O'Donnell is given that same level of respect in the Senatorial race and from the media in general.

Of course. When situations change context, everyone has the right to change his/her mind... Easier on the stomach too.

ricksfolly

I think Marx was a genius and it is a free country and it might be good to have a Marxist or two running around.

You keep making statements like this, but you never explain specifically what you're talking about. So....why was Marx a genius? How would having Marxist leaders help our nation?

You keep making statements like this, but you never explain specifically what you're talking about. So....why was Marx a genius? How would having Marxist leaders help our nation?

If you've read any Marx you realize that our brilliant leaders have embraced a number of his (Marx) key principles.

Some of our leaders lean that way more than others......

Youre worse than my girl friends seven yr old kid with all the questions

Really? Says who? Please tell me what you know about Marxism that makes it anti-American? What works of Marx have you read that lead you to believe it is 'anti-American'? The Poverty of Philosophy perhaps? Das Kapital? Or do you think Marxism is 'anti-American' because somebody told you so?

Marx believed in a classless system where everyone is purely equal: equal pay, equal homes, equal stuff, equal everything. In Marx's utopia of pure communism, everyone sacrifices equally for the greater good. That sounds great, except it's completely unrealistic and truly anti-freedom. It suppresses the creative mind, creates slaves and squashes any notion that one can become ever better than they are. When all people are told by their government how to live, work, eat....how is that freedom?

The United States became the nation where "streets are made of gold" and everyone wanted to come here because we THRIVE on freedom. Freedom energizes the creative mind, encourages people to step out of the box and do something good not simply because it's a good thing to do, but because their spirit (and yes, their pockets as well) will be rewarded. When people do good things on their own accord, it lifts their spirits and makes them want to do more. When people are forced to do "good things" because the big man in the office says to, it crushes them.

I'm fascinated by the story of The Statue of Liberty and The Collosus. America is where you can make it because of our liberty. Liberty is what made us great. Liberty is what made people want to come here. Liberty is what Marxism is not.

:peace

Youre worse than my girl friends seven yr old kid with all the questions

If you'd explain what you mean then I wouldn't have to ask. :) I'm trying to understand and you're not helping me. It's quite frustrating. If you aren't interested in explaining why you believe what you believe, then perhaps we should just not have these discussions together. No hard feelings.

There's nothing to attack. Beck is an opinion show host, who formed an opinion based on the evidence. That's what political "opinion" people do. The fact that Media Matters went on another attack is almost as pathetic as the rubes that buy into their partisan BS.
This is fascinating to me, Media Matters has an audio clip of your hero Glenn Beck and you consider this an attack? Please explain!!!!

Honestly mell i think i go over your head.

This is fascinating to me, Media Matters has an audio clip of your hero Glenn Beck and you consider this an attack? Please explain!!!!

Oh, then are they heaping praise upon Beck?

If this wasn't an attack, then exactly what was it sir?

Honestly mell i think i go over your head.

You very well might if you'd ever actually explain why you believe what you believe. Until then....it's a mystery. :)

Marx believed in a classless system where everyone is purely equal: equal pay, equal homes, equal stuff, equal everything. In Marx's utopia of pure communism, everyone sacrifices equally for the greater good. That sounds great, except it's completely unrealistic and truly anti-freedom. It suppresses the creative mind, creates slaves and squashes any notion that one can become ever better than they are. When all people are told by their government how to live, work, eat....how is that freedom?

The United States became the nation where "streets are made of gold" and everyone wanted to come here because we THRIVE on freedom. Freedom energizes the creative mind, encourages people to step out of the box and do something good not simply because it's a good thing to do, but because their spirit (and yes, their pockets as well) will be rewarded. When people do good things on their own accord, it lifts their spirits and makes them want to do more. When people are forced to do "good things" because the big man in the office says to, it crushes them.

I'm fascinated by the story of The Statue of Liberty and The Collosus. America is where you can make it because of our liberty. Liberty is what made us great. Liberty is what made people want to come here. Liberty is what Marxism is not.

:peace

I suspect that the immigration to the US had far more to do with it being a democratic republic (given that most of the modern world was a democracy before WW1) with a relatively open economy vs the mercantilism that was largely practice in Europe. However, all this means is that a market economy is better than mercantilism.

Last edited:

Here, let me save you from having to spin and come up with a new way to defend Media Matters...

This is what Media Matters is all about, in their own words:

Media Matters for America is a Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.

The don't post information from the "conservative media" to heap praise upon it... They post what they feel is disinformation, which is another way of saying they post that which they do not agree with.

Okay, please show where Chris Coons has followed this path. But, you want to believe your hero Glenn Beck, so you will simply believe him.

Back
Top Bottom