• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beauty and the Beast's 'exclusively gay moment'

Then why are you in here complaining about a movie you never intended to watch anyway?

Because I would like this kind of trash to no longer be in movies, so perhaps I can enjoy them again.

for reasons that have nothing to do with the story.

Which is done in pretty much literally every movie when it comes to hetero romance. Considering that's about 10,000 : 1 ratio, maybe you should complain about that instead

Remakes that added characters that didn't exist in the original:

Kevin McCarthy in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Kirk Allyn and Noel Neill in Superman (1978)
Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum and Martin Balsam in Cape Fear (1991)
Sean Connery in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek (2009)

And that's just the cameos from original actors. There are hundreds more. So again, maybe should complain about those. Because disney did much less here - just took an existing character, whose sexuality wasn't explicitly stated in the original, and made him gay....which was already hinted at in the original

This is even less than what star trek did recently with the spock character

Last edited:
If Disney want to cater to the small minority...let them.

If the majority decides to continue to support Disney then that's on the majority....not Disney.

Yeah there's been goddamn thousands of movies with needless hetero romance and the notorious love triangle. All you have to do is ask "Could they have done without this?" In almost every movie, considering they're only 2 hours, the answer is yes, at least in any non explicitly romance flick. I'm sure some of that includes new characters in remakes too, though i almost never watch those.

Hey. I'm equal opportunity here. Your damn right there is bull**** pandering love stories that wreck what otherwise could have been quality content. Is there like a number we can call to tell them they suck ass?

That dude made HISHE for that reason. Cinemasins too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey. I'm equal opportunity here. Your damn right there is bull**** pandering love stories that wreck what otherwise could have been quality content. Is there like a number we can call to tell them they suck ass?

That dude made HISHE for that reason. Cinemasins too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck it seems like the only time there hasn't been a needless romance is when the character is obviously gay and the studio wanted to pretend otherwise, ex: lawrence of arabia, scores upon scores of tv characters. Or in more modern times, when there are gay characters, they're totally sexless by comparison and are just there to amuse the stereotyped audience:

TV?s sexless gay characters: It?s time to overcome the ?ick factor? and let them have some fun too! - Salon.com

I find it insulting more than integrating. And of course, a huge part of the problem is even a kiss would be slapped with an R rating. It's rare enough to find an authentic portrayal of life for a gay character that the ancient show "Queer as Folk", relegated to the subscription R rated channel, still stands alone

Last edited:
Did you know that support for gay rights is not the same thing as wanting to see gay make out/sex scenes? I know it's shocking, but those two issues are not connected.

Since you don't support gay rights, you wouldn't know

A hetero audience doesn't have to WANT to see it, but christ, can they just close their eyes for a few seconds so that gay audience too gets something they want to see on occasion / the characters seem real. Is that really such a sacrifice?

Then don't watch them. :shrug: Also, I had several reasons to walk away from movies and TV, not just this reason.

Yeah well, i walked away from movies and TV because there are no authentic gay characters. Seeing as over 95% of tv characters are hetero and those who aren't are stereotyped to hell and back and are totally sexless, i'd say my complaint is far more valid than yours

Yeah well, i walked away from movies and TV because there are no authentic gay characters. Seeing as over 95% of tv characters are hetero and those who aren't are stereotyped to hell and back and are totally sexless, i'd say my complaint is far more valid than yours

When I stopped watching TV I have to admit the gay characters seemed fake. I can see how that kind of thing would annoy you.

When I stopped watching TV I have to admit the gay characters seemed fake. I can see how that kind of thing would annoy you.

Does gay annoy you?

Since you don't support gay rights, you wouldn't know

So what, I support gays being stoned or something? Just because I find anti-discrimination laws bogus doesn't mean I'm against you having rights.

A hetero audience doesn't have to WANT to see it, but christ, can they just close their eyes for a few seconds so that gay audience too gets something they want to see on occasion / the characters seem real. Is that really such a sacrifice?

Plenty of hetero people are willing to do that for some reason, so be happy that I'm likely a minority. Hell, many of the shows with gay characters do pretty good in ratings. Well, good for a medium that is losing ratings across the board, but you get the point.

So what, I support gays being stoned or something? Just because I find anti-discrimination laws bogus doesn't mean I'm against you having rights.

Plenty of hetero people are willing to do that for some reason, so be happy that I'm likely a minority. Hell, many of the shows with gay characters do pretty good in ratings. Well, good for a medium that is losing ratings across the board, but you get the point.

For some reason? Because it's just miniscule by comparison to the makeout sessions a gay viewer has to put up with, even in a non romance. Consider a movie like "Titanic" that SHOULD be about the damn ship sinking. To enjoy that i have to put up with i don't know how much flirtation and kiss scenes and sexual simulation and even some female nudity. And that's not even rated R! And the characters never existed in reality. Why don't the critics of this gay couple in "Beauty" complain about THAT revisionism?

Now if i can enjoy that movie in spite of all that, i find your excuses pitiful and needlessly hateful to say the least

Well, more than we have seen since ww2, but then again I have been saying for many moons now that we are in a new dark age, that society is breaking down, the spirit is breaking down, the mind is breaking down.......civilization is breaking down.

The rest of ya'll can wake up at any time.....

:coffeepap

This is nothing new
15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything | Mental Floss
"These youths wearing their togas halfway down their legs" - society decline getoffmylawn | Ask MetaFilter

Woohoo another victory!

Simba will be gay in upcoming live-action Lion King remake, Disney confirms · PinkNews

"According to the source, Simba realises that he is gay during his teenage years after chancing upon same-sex couple Timon and Pumbaa in the wilderness."

After decades of disney (of all places) denying homosexuality even exists (and even fired the kid from "Old Yeller" after he grew up to be gay), we're starting to get some respect

Back
Top Bottom