• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beautiful Hockey Video

Fearandloathing

How long is now?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
IF anyone wonders what is the attraction for hockey for Canadians, take a look at this video.

This a lake that rarely freezes enough to support the weight of a person, and frozen pristine without a snow cover this makes for a beautiful video

https://youtu.be/OrIMBG5E9Bk

As an American, I absolutely love hockey. I wish more of my fellow citizens would take the time to attend a hockey game and learn it. It is not the most tv-friendly sport, especially before HD, and unfortunately that seems to be the extent of most people's hockey exposure.

Watching hockey is like watching soccer fast forwarded.

Awesome.

Awesome.

That is a good way to describe it. Personally, I cannot stand soccer. The field is way to large and it takes way too long for things to develop. There is always something happening in hockey.

As an American, I absolutely love hockey. I wish more of my fellow citizens would take the time to attend a hockey game and learn it. It is not the most tv-friendly sport, especially before HD, and unfortunately that seems to be the extent of most people's hockey exposure.

What I have found is that the game is too fast for a culture raised on baseball and football. Football is stop and start, where hockey is live steaming as it were. I am always amused when I hear "why don't they have organized plays?". They do, but there are being created on the fly and often involving a change of players. I actually sat through an entire Buffalo Sabers/Montreal Canadiens game in Buffalo where my seat mate never noticed a player change, which is one of the most important aspects of the game....

When you don't know that the player is only out there from 40 seconds to a minute it takes on a whole new perspective.

IF anyone wonders what is the attraction for hockey for Canadians, take a look at this video.

This a lake that rarely freezes enough to support the weight of a person, and frozen pristine without a snow cover this makes for a beautiful video

What a great video! I know Whonnock Lake, but I've never known it frozen over like that.
The video reminded me of this, shot in the eastern part of BC, in the Kootenays or Rockies.

Awesome.

Right on.....

The fastest game on the planet [as in movement of players, Jai Alia has the fastest ball].

But hockey doesn't have wimps who fall to the ground and writhe in agony for ten minutes ...you have players who take a puck in the face and are back out with stitches for his next shift.

I wonder whether there would be soccer if they allowed bare knuckle fighting like hockey. They're wimps

What I have found is that the game is too fast for a culture raised on baseball and football. Football is stop and start, where hockey is live steaming as it were. I am always amused when I hear "why don't they have organized plays?". They do, but there are being created on the fly and often involving a change of players. I actually sat through an entire Buffalo Sabers/Montreal Canadiens game in Buffalo where my seat mate never noticed a player change, which is one of the most important aspects of the game....

When you don't know that the player is only out there from 40 seconds to a minute it takes on a whole new perspective.

It can be a confusing game the first time you watch it, I guess.
I remember seeing a game in Carolina on the tube when the Hurricanes were new in the league. The crowd watched in silence until someone missed a hard slapshot that made a big booming sound on the end boards. Made the crowd clap and cheer.

That's pretty cool but, it didn't look like the ice was very thick.

That is a good way to describe it. Personally, I cannot stand soccer. The field is way to large and it takes way too long for things to develop. There is always something happening in hockey.

Soccer bores me even more than baseball. At least with baseball you know there's going to be something happening any second and if you're not paying attention will miss the 15 seconds of an awesome play.

My argument with soccer are the wimps who fall to the ground and writhe in agony for five minutes after taking a shin. Hockey players take knee on knee and likely won't miss a shift. If a soccer player ever had to take a hit along the end boards, he'd quit the game I suspect.

In my mid 20's in the best shape I was in, the NHL held as forum for prospective linesmen and referees [I had been a linesman in Jr.). I skated with all I had, I gave it everything and just about everyone else was going by me at three times the speed. I stayed in Jr.

What a great video! I know Whonnock Lake, but I've never known it frozen over like that.
The video reminded me of this, shot in the eastern part of BC, in the Kootenays or Rockies.

I've lived here since '78 and I have never known Whonnock to freeze over.

I have seen the other video before. I was awed when I saw it the first time,. and again now...and now nearing 70 a lot envious

It can be a confusing game the first time you watch it, I guess.
I remember seeing a game in Carolina on the tube when the Hurricanes were new in the league. The crowd watched in silence until someone missed a hard slapshot that made a big booming sound on the end boards. Made the crowd clap and cheer.

When the NHL first came to Atlanta the crowd cheered off sides.

Soccer bores me even more than baseball. At least with baseball you know there's going to be something happening any second and if you're not paying attention will miss the 15 seconds of an awesome play.

My argument with soccer are the wimps who fall to the ground and writhe in agony for five minutes after taking a shin. Hockey players take knee on knee and likely won't miss a shift. If a soccer player ever had to take a hit along the end boards, he'd quit the game I suspect.

In my mid 20's in the best shape I was in, the NHL held as forum for prospective linesmen and referees [I had been a linesman in Jr.). I skated with all I had, I gave it everything and just about everyone else was going by me at three times the speed. I stayed in Jr.

:twisted:

That's kind of what makes it so cool.

I suspect it's a combination of the crystal clear water and the fact it froze fast.

I know it's not frozen now.

Y'all haven't been getting all this cold air there?

Italians and French are the worst. I think Italian Serie A teams employ drama coaches.
Up in Scotland they don't play soccer, they play fitba and they invented the 'Glasgow kiss'.

glasgow kiss.jpg

Hey, if you could keep up to the play in the Juniors, you were doing great.
World Juniors coming up, back home in Canada again. That's one of my favourite things about the holiday season.

Y'all haven't been getting all this cold air there?

The Lower Mainland of British Columbia rarely gets snow at sea level usually we have a pineapple express for Christmas.

Having said that, the least storm stops the city. This last storm they effectively shut down the buses when we got about 4 inches. The city is all hills and shoreline, we don't own snow specific equipment, the best they can do is move it around and wait for rain, which is happening now.

Italians and French are the worst. I think Italian Serie A teams employ drama coaches.
Up in Scotland they don't play soccer, they play fitba and they invented the 'Glasgow kiss'.

View attachment 67211495

Hey, if you could keep up to the play in the Juniors, you were doing great.
World Juniors coming up, back home in Canada again. That's one of my favourite things about the holiday season.

I LOVED officiating junior. For me, junior is more exciting because of the 'wild west' style of play.

Do you know the two most frightening words in junior hockey?

"Let 'em go"

As in fight. Breaking them up was always a risk. I always tried to shut them down before things got started, but I also believed in "the unwritten code" and as a linesman you just stand back and make sure their not injuring each other.

I played a fund raising game with some ex NHL's in 1994. It was supposed to be tap and go, but you know what it's like and yep, Tiger Williams stapled me to the ice. I threw out my skates, my lower legs and ankles hurt so bad and I was bruised everywhere.....

some 'tap and go'.

I LOVED officiating junior. For me, junior is more exciting because of the 'wild west' style of play.

Do you know the two most frightening words in junior hockey?

"Let 'em go"

As in fight. Breaking them up was always a risk. I always tried to shut them down before things got started, but I also believed in "the unwritten code" and as a linesman you just stand back and make sure their not injuring each other.

I played a fund raising game with some ex NHL's in 1994. It was supposed to be tap and go, but you know what it's like and yep, Tiger Williams stapled me to the ice. I threw out my skates, my lower legs and ankles hurt so bad and I was bruised everywhere.....

some 'tap and go'.

Great story!
Junior hockey is so fast and competitive it's hard to see how you guys could keep a lid on things at all. Especially if the score's lopsided- the third period becomes a slugfest.
If I were you, I'd own three tee-shirts with the bolded quote printed on them.

I think part of the reason why the dive/flop is such a big part of soccer is because it rarely gets punished.

In hockey, if you get caught diving this is what happens:

God, I hate James Neal so much.

Why are they playing in the middle of the lake? Back when we played on a lake (pond, actually) we stuck primarily to the edges because chasing an errant puck halfway across the ice got old really quick.

Great story!
Junior hockey is so fast and competitive it's hard to see how you guys could keep a lid on things at all. Especially if the score's lopsided- the third period becomes a slugfest.
If I were you, I'd own three tee-shirts with the bolded quote printed on them.

That's a great idea! Wished I had thought of it.

Tiger would love it.

Junior hokey is far more competitive, but the issue is that they play their close opponents a lot through the season, and resentments build up. The best film representation of that attitude in "Miracle" with Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks. As soon as the team is assembled one players nails his own teammate with his head down...over a game more than a year before.

As an official you have to always be mindful these are still kids. Yes, they can probably tear a barn apart by the bare hands, come in at 6' 5" and tip the scales over 200, but their brains are not fully developed and like any kid has no action-consequence thinking....that's why you see the hooking and slashing etc. near the end of a blow out.

That's when Linesmen earn their pay.

Why are they playing in the middle of the lake? Back when we played on a lake (pond, actually) we stuck primarily to the edges because chasing an errant puck halfway across the ice got old really quick.

I suspect they had a real good, hard look at that ice beforehand, as they were organized enough to call in a video guy. The absolutely beautiful pristine ice probably led them to want to create art. They waited and were careful to get to the play point without leaving skate marks. And the filming of the 'perfect face off' tells me much of it was directed and staged for the effect.

I think part of the reason why the dive/flop is such a big part of soccer is because it rarely gets punished.

In hockey, if you get caught diving this is what happens:

God, I hate James Neal so much.

I don't get to see him much, but he was a major force in Junior especially in international play. Some players simply never make the transitition.

But you are correct. Diving is a penalty.

Back
Top Bottom