• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BBQ Restaurant Called Rubbin' Buttz To Hold 'White Appreciation Day'

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
krznuvgau6o84hmb1gzh.jpg

"White Appreciation Day" began as a joke among the staff of the Colorado barbecue restaurant, Rubbin' Buttz.

But owner Edgar Antillon told television station KUSA he decided to follow through with the idea and mark a day where white customers could enjoy a 10 percent discount.

Thoughts? Is this racist?

krznuvgau6o84hmb1gzh.jpg

"White Appreciation Day" began as a joke among the staff of the Colorado barbecue restaurant, Rubbin' Buttz.

But owner Edgar Antillon told television station KUSA he decided to follow through with the idea and mark a day where white customers could enjoy a 10 percent discount.

ahhh I don't think the guy's racist. I think he means what he's saying. I think it's a little silly, misguided, and risky from a legal standpoint, but I'm not going to condemn this guy. if he's guilty of anything, it might be of making a really poor argument for why they're declaring a white appreciation day, but all in all this seems fairly harmless.

that said, I support laws that forbid discrimination based on race, and I do think that offering a discount only to members of one race falls into that category, so there's that.

Replace "White" with any other race and ask yourself if this would have made the news at all. I seriously doubt it. And if it had, my opinion on the matter would be the same: Don't like it? Eat elsewhere. If enough people do it, he won't be a "problem" any more. If they don't, he never was.

ahhh I don't think the guy's racist. I think he means what he's saying. I think it's a little silly, misguided, and risky from a legal standpoint, but I'm not going to condemn this guy. if he's guilty of anything, it might be of making a really poor argument for why they're declaring a white appreciation day, but all in all this seems fairly harmless.

that said, I support laws that forbid discrimination based on race, and I do think that offering a discount only to members of one race falls into that category, so there's that.

I am not calling the man a racist, but I do question his wisdom.

Just a stupid thing to do.

I like it, but I think he should do it for all ethnicities on different days of the year. That would be a smart business decision, unless of course he is actually trying to be racist, then I suppose the ends, in this case, would not justify the means.

Tim-

I'm not so sure it is. The sign says "White Appreciate Day" but does not say "Only Whites Allowed." The discount part may add an element of debate here. But, I also did not see anything in the article about restrictions on other customers for that day, just the logic that others have a Month devoted to them.

Tough call, but in our PC world odds are this will end in all kinds of hate.

Who could imagine that a business owner sophisticated enough to name his enterprise "Rubbin' Buttz" would make such a lowbrow promotion?

I'm thoroughly shocked.

According to the article in the op -

"We have a whole month for Black History Month, we have a whole month for Hispanic Heritage Month, so we figured the least we could do was offer one day to appreciate white Americans," Antillon told KUSA. The station said the owner is Hispanic and that his parents were from Mexico.

My question would be do they give discounts to blacks/hispanics during those months? Or are whites the only ones who get a discount on "their" day?

Sounds stupid to me. Sounds like it may break anti-discrimination laws as well. On the other hand, somehow bars get away with "ladies appreciation nights" where women get discounts and men don't.

So blacks will be sure to show up, complain, and then sue him for discrimination if they do not get a discount on this day (and rightfully so). He might not be a conscious racist, but he is going to get himself sued.

krznuvgau6o84hmb1gzh.jpg

Really, fellow poster, do you genuinely believe it necessary to ask such a transparently bigoted question?! To only "serve White customers a discount" while bypassing non-whites is the very essence of discrimination; however, here lately, nothing would surprise me in certain pockets of our nation where racism is alive and well.

Really, fellow poster, do you genuinely believe it necessary to ask such a transparently bigoted question?! To only "serve White customers a discount" while bypassing non-whites is the very essence of discrimination; however, here lately, nothing would surprise me in certain pockets of our nation where racism is alive and well.

I think it was probably something that started as a joke. What if he also gives discounts to others during other times of the year?

Regardless, who really cares? It's BBQ, if it's good, go eat it. If not, then don't.

My question would be do they give discounts to blacks/hispanics during those months? Or are whites the only ones who get a discount on "their" day?

Sounds stupid to me. Sounds like it may break anti-discrimination laws as well. On the other hand, somehow bars get away with "ladies appreciation nights" where women get discounts and men don't.

Can you elaborate on how it might break anti-discrimination laws?

Who could imagine that a business owner sophisticated enough to name his enterprise "Rubbin' Buttz" would make such a lowbrow promotion?

I'm thoroughly shocked.

That's because you don't know jack about BBQ. "Rubbin' Butts" refers to the spice rub used on pork butts prior to BBQing them. I'm a big BBQ fan (my rub is out of this world and my smoked leg of lamb has been known to make grown men cry for pure joy) and I think that it's a great name.

I like it, but I think he should do it for all ethnicities on different days of the year. That would be a smart business decision, unless of course he is actually trying to be racist, then I suppose the ends, in this case, would not justify the means.

Tim-
You like it, really? Do you feel uncomfortable with other ethnicities present? Why do you think other ethnicities would enjoy it?

That's because you don't know jack about BBQ. "Rubbin' Butts" refers to the spice rub used on pork butts prior to BBQing them. I'm a big BBQ fan (my rub is out of this world and my smoked leg of lamb has been known to make grown men cry for pure joy) and I think that it's a great name.
The double entendre was not lost on me.

krznuvgau6o84hmb1gzh.jpg

It's not racist on its face...but the intention behind it almost certainly is influenced at least to some degree by racism. Oh, the owner will claim it's not racist, he just wants to celebrate all ethnic groups, and (gasp!) he's even got black friends! But does he also celebrate black history month? Or Hispanic history month? Or does he decorate for Passover or Eid? Somehow I doubt that.

Been there, done that, and because I know it so well, it's almost as if racism has its own particular stench.

You like it, really? Do you feel uncomfortable with other ethnicities present? Why do you think other ethnicities would enjoy it?

Why not, we're a mixed bunch aren't we? Why not appreciate other races and stuff? People can go in anytime but only the one's being appreciate will get the discount. The market will react however it wants too, that a good thing brah!

Tim-

Whites don't need an appreciation day. They own the calendar.

A small handful of states have made those illegal, too.

Does this make any difference to anybody here saying this is racist?

"We have a whole month for Black History Month, we have a whole month for Hispanic Heritage Month, so we figured the least we could do was offer one day to appreciate white Americans," Antillon told KUSA. The station said the owner is Hispanic and that his parents were from Mexico. "

Is it OK for a Latino to offer a discount to white people for this one day? Is the action less racist?

Back
Top Bottom