• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

BBC news - Volunteers begin Mars500 isolation

Mell

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
''Six would-be cosmonauts have entered a sealed facility where they will spend 18 months with no windows and only e-mail contact with the outside world.

The men are taking part in the Mars500 project, which aims to simulate a mission to Mars.''
Quote from BBC News - Volunteers begin Mars500 isolation

Would you volunteer to do this? Explain your answer.

-- Would you volunteer to do this? Explain your answer.

No, I wouldn't. I couldn't live without my kids and my partner. Also I have a windowless office and am really happy to get away at the end of any day I am office bound and not teaching or elsewhere in the University. 18 months of a cooped up tin can with no real windows on the world would drive me crazy. (Not to mention the hygiene question)

''Six would-be cosmonauts have entered a sealed facility where they will spend 18 months with no windows and only e-mail contact with the outside world.

The men are taking part in the Mars500 project, which aims to simulate a mission to Mars.''
Quote from BBC News - Volunteers begin Mars500 isolation

Would you volunteer to do this? Explain your answer.

It's an intresting study and I suppose I'm glad they're doing it. Similar studies have been conducted in the past.

As for me, no. I have a teenage child to raise, and an elderly widowed mother to take care of. The main breaking point for me is that if the payoff at the end was to actually set foot on Mars, it would be worth the isolation, crowding and confinement... but since it is just a study and they aren't actually going anywhere, my sense of adventure says "Ho hum." :mrgreen:

I would do it for the right amount of cash. But they'd have to make it worth my while.

I woundnt do it, because it would involve neglecting my boyfriend and daughter. As well as that, I read it is pretty hard on the body healthwise.

Yes, I'd do it. This is a scientific precursor to a manned Mars mission. What an honor!

Back
Top Bottom