• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Battle at Dieppe 1942. Have you heard of it?

Battle at Dieppe 1942. Have you heard of it?

• Yes, I've heard of it

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, never heard of it

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

This is the first time I've heard of this battle. Have you heard of it?

I would rate it sixth on the list of famous British WW2 battles.
Lower than Battle of Britain, Battle of the Atlantic (pre-1942), Dunkirk, El Alamein, and Crete. I would put it in the same category, but rated higher than, Arras, Caen, Singapore, or Narvik.

Lower than Battle of Britain, Battle of the Atlantic (pre-1942), Dunkirk, El Alamein, and Crete. I would put it in the same category, but rated higher than, Arras, Caen, Singapore, or Narvik.
surprised you rate it that highly

surprised you rate it that highly

Well, you can hardly read a page about the planning for D-Day without Dieppe being mentioned three times...

Perhaps not, I have a bad memory. But I have read a lot of pages about D-Day, and honestly Dieppe didn't ring a bell. However, I didn't notice before you said BRITISH WW2 battles, that makes a difference. Anyway, gonna read up now, god knows I have the library for it.

Perhaps not, I have a bad memory. But I have read a lot of pages about D-Day, and honestly Dieppe didn't ring a bell. However, I didn't notice before you said BRITISH WW2 battles, that makes a difference. Anyway, gonna read up now, god knows I have the library for it.

Dieppe was one of the primary reasons why the Brits developed all those odd D-Day gadgets.
I've heard it theorized that the reason why the US didn't do the same was because it didn't have a corresponding disaster.

I notice you don't mention, st Vallery....... in Scotland it is still subject to a Westminster government D notice and cannot be openly talked about or discussed in the English owned media!
St Vallery affected every single household in Scotland.

Dieppe was one of the primary reasons why the Brits developed all those odd D-Day gadgets.
I've heard it theorized that the reason why the US didn't do the same was because it didn't have a corresponding disaster.
The US “Dieppe” came too close to “D-Day” to be of use. See “Slapton Sands.”

I notice you don't mention, st Vallery....... in Scotland it is still subject to a Westminster government D notice and cannot be openly talked about or discussed in the English owned media!

Citation for this gag order?

Remember reading about that and being stunned at how poorly it went.

Poor Canadian troops. So much asked of them for so little gained.

I had two great uncles who swam back to the ships.

My uncle got off in Dunkirk six weeks after the majority of troops got off! He served in Egypt, tabruk Sicily, Italy France

I had friend, his father was with the kings own Scottish borderers tried to get onto a boat at Dunkirk with six others from the same regiment, there were a number of army officers already on the empty boat, they said, it's an officers only boat, and used rifle butts to break the fingers of the men trying to get on the boat! They were taken prisoner!

My uncle got off in Dunkirk six weeks after the majority of troops got off! He served in Egypt, tabruk Sicily, Italy France

I had friend, his father was with the kings own Scottish borderers tried to get onto a boat at Dunkirk with six others from the same regiment, there were a number of army officers already on the empty boat, they said, it's an officers only boat, and used rifle butts to break the fingers of the men trying to get on the boat! They were taken prisoner!

Citation for the gag order?

So, no.

You made up shit.
At one time these facts were readily available, but as your lot control the "facts" every day it's becoming more difficult to access the truth, just like the records over every single Jew pole American, French Russians who died in "concentration camps" your lot along with American politicians refuse historians access to those records, six miles of air conditioned tunnels, which would prove your well laundered historical facts..... you and your lot..... stop the extrapolation of these facts! Why?
Brother Nathanial, taken off YouTube, by your friends! Press tv taken off by your friends! There seems to be only one side, frightened of the truth...... only one side that restricts access to proof...... I know why that is...... but would you like to explain why honesty is abhorrent to your friends my German friend of Zion? I have nothing to hide!

At one time these facts were readily available, but as your lot control the "facts" every day it's becoming more difficult to access the truth, just like the records over every single Jew pole American, French Russians who died in "concentration camps" your lot along with American politicians refuse historians access to those records, six miles of air conditioned tunnels, which would prove your well laundered historical facts..... you and your lot..... stop the extrapolation of these facts! Why?
Brother Nathanial, taken off YouTube, by your friends! Press tv taken off by your friends! There seems to be only one side, frightened of the truth...... only one side that restricts access to proof...... I know why that is...... but would you like to explain why honesty is abhorrent to your friends my German friend of Zion? I have nothing to hide!

By "your lot" your are referring to Jews. Right?

The Jews are suppressing the history of the Scots who fought in France?

And what are you babbling about "six miles of air conditioned tunnels, which would prove your well laundered historical facts.".

As to Brother Nathaniel. Is YouTube obligated to keep a raging antisemitic loon on the site?

Presstv. Broke the rules. Didn't pay the fines. Suicide by obstinance.

Nothing stops you from accessing either through the internet.

You do so want to blame Jews for your imagined inability to access antisemitic propaganda.

Last edited:
Dieppe was Britain's Kasserine Pass. They had hard lessons, but learned from them.

Yes. It's taught in Canadian schools that Dieppe was a practice run for D-day.
Also it demonstrated how convenient it was to have regiments of colonial troops available to practice with.
To be fair though it might have had something to do with the Canadian success on Juno Beach.

By "your lot" your are referring to Jews. Right?

The Jews are suppressing the history of the Scots who fought in France?

And what are you babbling about "six miles of air conditioned tunnels, which would prove your well laundered historical facts.".

As to Brother Nathaniel. Is YouTube obligated to keep a raging antisemitic loon on the site?

Presstv. Broke the rules. Didn't pay the fines. Suicide by obstinance.

Nothing stops you from accessing either through the internet.

You do so want to blame Jews for your imagined inability to access antisemitic propaganda.
No I'm not referring to Jews!
Brother Nathanial ..... and lies or deceit..... you never mentioned any..... no surprise there then!
Who owns YouTube?
As for the six miles of tunnels..... you forget, you have already spoke previously in past posts, so YOU, cannot deny the fact the tunnels and documents exist! Nor the fact, the American government and Israel refuse to allow historians access.... can you guess why?

No I'm not referring to Jews!
Brother Nathanial ..... and lies or deceit..... you never mentioned any..... no surprise there then!
Who owns YouTube?
As for the six miles of tunnels..... you forget, you have already spoke previously in past posts, so YOU, cannot deny the fact the tunnels and documents exist! Nor the fact, the American government and Israel refuse to allow historians access.... can you guess why?

Brother Nathaniel the antisemitic sack.

Six miles.

What do you IMAGINE are in there?

I don't remember ever reading about it before now, but it gets plenty of hits on Google, including what appears to be a very cool grognard site for the 51st Highlanders, that has an article on the engagement.

There are a lot of things that don't make it into the history books. Sometimes because noone prioritized it for publication, other times because doing so could damage their careers. Lots of historical records placed in temporary secrecy for 50 or 100 years tend to disappear just before they are due to become public (Cold War espionage records). At other times the "newly discovered" documents turn out to be fake (the Hitler diaries). And sometimes things just become acceptable to talk about after a few decades (Allied war crimes). One of the first off-the-record things my old history professor cautioned us about when we were getting into he subject of source critique, and which stays with me because I notice variations of it played out again and again.

I don't remember ever reading about it before now, but it gets plenty of hits on Google, including what appears to be a very cool grognard site for the 51st Highlanders, that has an article on the engagement.

There are a lot of things that don't make it into the history books. Sometimes because noone prioritized it for publication, other times because doing so could damage their careers. Lots of historical records placed in temporary secrecy for 50 or 100 years tend to disappear just before they are due to become public (Cold War espionage records). At other times the "newly discovered" documents turn out to be fake (the Hitler diaries). And sometimes things just become acceptable to talk about after a few decades (Allied war crimes). One of the first off-the-record things my old history professor cautioned us about when we were getting into he subject of source critique, and which stays with me because I notice variations of it played out again and again.
Yes, the truth, is always restricted, but it's restricted by a D notice. The facts are even on your site, cannot be clear or concise, but I have talk to men who survived. Churchill sacrificed the Scottish troops, they were ordered to stand to last man and last bullet, or shot.
One can go anywhere in Scotland, any existing village or villages taken over via the clearances, which is still on going, and look at war memorials, with all four side covered with names of those that never came back! Or you can go down south, Nottingham, where there are two names on the war memorial!
More people died from the highlands or east coast of Scotland per head of population than any other country involved in WW2. I'm not sure of WW1.

Yes, the truth, is always restricted, but it's restricted by a D notice. The facts are even on your site, cannot be clear or concise, but I have talk to men who survived. Churchill sacrificed the Scottish troops, they were ordered to stand to last man and last bullet, or shot.
One can go anywhere in Scotland, any existing village or villages taken over via the clearances, which is still on going, and look at war memorials, with all four side covered with names of those that never came back! Or you can go down south, Nottingham, where there are two names on the war memorial!
More people died from the highlands or east coast of Scotland per head of population than any other country involved in WW2. I'm not sure of WW1.
Still waiting for citation on the "D notice".

And do you understand what that means?

Of course.. it was the precursor/test to D-Day.... it was also a monumental **** up by Churchill, which is why we dont hear about it that much. However despite sacrificing 3623 mostly Canadians, the Allies did polish the turd to learn a lot and use that knowledge for D-Day. One could argue that the Mulberry Harbours were the direct result of this monumental **** up.

Back
Top Bottom