• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Battery powered chainsaw?

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm starting to research battery powered chainsaws. Any suggestions?

This would be for regular home use -- clearing out some dead trees now and again, basic pruning, etc. I don't imagine we'd ever need to cut anything thicker than 12". So it seems that an intro brand tool like Wen, Kobalt or Ryobi would be fine considering the limited use it would get, and that a Makita, Milkwaukee, Dewalt or Bosch is over the top. I'm reflexively biased against black and decker, but if you have reason to disagree because you know that a B&D chainsaw happens to be good, then that's fine.

Thoughts?

This would be for regular home use -- clearing out some dead trees now and again, basic pruning, etc. I don't imagine we'd ever need to cut anything thicker than 12". So it seems that an intro brand tool like Wen, Kobalt or Ryobi would be fine considering the limited use it would get, and that a Makita, Milkwaukee, Dewalt or Bosch is over the top. I'm reflexively biased against black and decker, but if you have reason to disagree because you know that a B&D chainsaw happens to be good, then that's fine.

Thoughts?
The brands that are “over the top,” because of costs?

The brands that are “over the top,” because of costs?
Correct. I can't justify dropping over $300 for something that's going to get such limited use. It takes a damn fusion bomb to destroy a DeWalt, which is why I own a Dewalt drill and impact driver. But then, those get worked hard. That wouldn't be the case with a chainsaw.

Thoughts?

If you're using a chainsaw in your B & D activities, you're really hardcore! :p

Last edited:
If you're using a chainsaw in your B & D activities, your really hardcore! :p
🤟

They really need to offer a "gimp suit" emoji.

Correct. I can't justify dropping over $300 for something that's going to get such limited use. It takes a damn fusion bomb to destroy a DeWalt, which is why I own a Dewalt drill and impact driver. But then, those get worked hard. That wouldn't be the case with a chainsaw.
You are aware of Dewalt’s parent company, right?

My philosophy is, if It's a tool you're going to use a lot, get the best one you can afford. If you're only going to use it a couple times a year, go cheap.

Go get a modest Husqvarna gas chainsaw, and you'll be fine. It'll have the power you need to cut 12" stuff, and.it'll be reliable. A little Echo might not be bad either. The electrics won't deliver the performance of gas chainsaws.

My philosophy is, if It's a tool you're going to use a lot, get the best one you can afford. If you're only going to use it a couple times a year, go cheap.
Mine is get more than what you need. Better to have the capacity and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Go get a modest Husqvarna gas chainsaw, and you'll be fine. It'll have the power you need to cut 12" stuff, and.it'll be reliable. A little Echo might not be bad either. The electrics won't deliver the performance of gas chainsaws.
@Cardinal is on record as “green.”

True, but there's another way that I approach cost that's equally important to me: If you spend too little, then you get a piece of garbage that dies after a year, and then you have to spend more money in the long run, so as an example:

Get a Bosch chainsaw (I'm just making this up). Cost: one...million...dollars. This is the buy once, cry once philosophy, and for the most part I adhere to this.

Or

Get a Mr. Junior Chainsaw. Cost: $50. But then Mr. Junior Chainsaw dies right after the warranty expires, forcing you go and buy that Bosch anyway. Total cost: One million, fifty dollars.

So the trick is to go as cheap as possible without totally screwing myself in the long run.

Last edited:
Don't tell me how to live my life. If I want to cut off both my legs then by golly that's what I'm gonna do.

I am sure you have used one for years but when shit goes south and it happens all the time, those things will tear you apart.
peace

Thoughts?
I have a friend who was looking at small planes. He was notoriously cheap. His wife said to him, "For God's sake, don't scrimp on a plane." I'd say the same applies to chainsaws. It's worth paying more for quality and safety.

But today, 'cheap' often means so 'cheap' it borders on fraudulent! China is very good, at that.

I like the idea of buying value-oriented quality. But, that takes a lot of research and dedication to root it out.

I am sure you have used one for years but when shit goes south and it happens all the time, those things will tear you apart.
peace
I've literally never used a chainsaw. I plan on watching multiple youtube videos first. But I use a circular saw, jigsaw, miter saw and table saw with some frequency, so I'm familiar with electric cutty things wanting to murder me.

But today, 'cheap' often means so 'cheap' it borders on fraudulent! China is very good, at that.

I like the idea of buying value-oriented quality. But, that takes a lot of research and dedication to root it out.
It’s not rocket science.

🤷

Falling down with a running chainsaw is more excitement than anyone needs.
Forget where I read that but I've never forgotten the words.
That reminds me: the ability to chase hot college-age females around a lake with the chainsaw is a must, so it can't be corded.

Back
Top Bottom