• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Battery powered chainsaw?

I've literally never used a chainsaw. I plan on watching multiple youtube videos first. But I use a circular saw, jigsaw, miter saw and table saw with some frequency, so I'm familiar with electric cutty things wanting to murder me.
My advice- get a file guide for sharpening your chain. It's just a strip of steel you clip onto the file and it has marks at various angles to let you get the right angle on the teeth. When I was doing it free hand I was going at a slightly different angle on the right-hand pass and the left-hand pass and the saw wouldn't cut straight, it would drift into an arc on deep cuts.

I'm definitely getting a "skip the introductory consumer brand" vibe in this thread.

I have owned both gas and electric chainsaws (corded). I burned up the electric chains within 2 years of purchase. That was with occasional use around the yard.
imo, the homeowner version (battery or corded) chainsaws don't hold up under any heavy loads.

- For small diameter trimming (<6") I have used by Ryobi recip saw with a brush blade. Cuts quickly. I have had that tool for years and it has been abused. It keeps on cutting.

- imo, occasionally cutting 12" diameter wood with the "homeowners" cheap version is going to burn up the saw in short order.

- I would look for information on battery run time, battery replacement costs, automatic oiler or not, chain tensioner, overall quality.

Had a McCullock electric chainsaw back in the 80's. It was built with heavy plastic. It lasted years. The homeowner versions out now are so flimsy compared to it.

- You may be better off just renting a chainsaw for the few times you made need to do some heavy cutting.

I have owned both gas and electric chainsaws (corded). I burned up the electric chains within 2 years of purchase. That was with occasional use around the yard.
imo, the homeowner version (battery or corded) chainsaws don't hold up under any heavy loads.

- For small diameter trimming (<6") I have used by Ryobi recip saw with a brush blade. Cuts quickly. I have had that tool for years and it has been abused. It keeps on cutting.

- imo, occasionally cutting 12" diameter wood with the "homeowners" cheap version is going to burn up the saw in short order.

- I would look for information on battery run time, battery replacement costs, automatic oiler or not, chain tensioner, overall quality.

Had a McCullock electric chainsaw back in the 80's. It was built with heavy plastic. It lasted years. The homeowner versions out now are so flimsy compared to it.

- You may be better off just renting a chainsaw for the few times you made need to do some heavy cutting.
Mike is onto something here. A reciprocating/saws all is a versitile tool in the yard and in the shop. The terror factor is lower as well. Usually one is available as part of a kit including two or three other “must haves” for the shop.

Mike is onto something here. A reciprocating/saws all is a versitile tool in the yard and in the shop. The terror factor is lower as well. Usually one is available as part of a kit including two or three other “must haves” for the shop.
The worst case scenario is a 12" cut (well...maybe). How practical do you see a reciprocating saw for that?

True, but there's another way that I approach cost that's equally important to me: If you spend too little, then you get a piece of garbage that dies after a year, and then you have to spend more money in the long run, so as an example:

Get a Bosch chainsaw (I'm just making this up). Cost: one...million...dollars. This is the buy once, cry once philosophy, and for the most part I practice this.

Or

Get a Mr. Junior Chainsaw. Cost: $50. But then Mr. Junior Chainsaw dies right after the warranty expires, forcing you go and buy that Bosch anyway. Total cost: One million, fifty dollars.

So the trick is to go as cheap as possible without totally screwing myself in the long run.

I know nothing about chain saws, but do often ascribe to purchasing the 'value oriented quality' segment of products. However, to properly ferret those products out requires a lot of effort and dedication.

But crazy as it sounds, I've found Amazon to often be a good research source for a plethora of products; it seems they handle pretty much everything these days.

Research products with a high number of reviews and a high star rating, and sort the reviews by various parameters to assist your search.

I look at 4 star reviews, because those reviewers often sensibly point-out the slight or moderate negatives in an otherwise good product. I then glance at the 1 star reviews, only to see if there's a common critical complaint or caveat. Besides that, I avoid the 1 star reviews as they often are 1 star for skewed reasons, often reasons not even related to the product itself.

And I must say, if an item has either an 'Amazon Best value', 'Amazon Top Seller', or 'Amazon Best Rated' tag, I tend to buy with confidence if the item seems to otherwise meet my needs.

Also, Amazon buyers - by their nature - seem to predominately buy value oriented products. Yes, there may be some high-end products on Amazon; but they invariably are of lower sales volume. But the ones that are high volume sales, those that sell in the many hundreds and thousands, tend to be of good value.

Seriously, if you find a high volume sales Amazon product that has the 'Amazon Best Value' or 'Amazon Top Seller' tag, and it otherwise seems to fit your needs after your perusing the reviews, I'd consider buying it. I don't think I've ever been let down, doing that myself.

(I also might add I've used this Amazon research technique for products I've purchased elsewhere, as well)

I'm starting to research battery powered chainsaws. Any suggestions?

This would be for regular home use -- clearing out some dead trees now and again, basic pruning, etc. I don't imagine we'd ever need to cut anything thicker than 12". So it seems that an intro brand tool like Wen, Kobalt or Ryobi would be fine considering the limited use it would get, and that a Makita, Milkwaukee, Dewalt or Bosch is over the top. I'm reflexively biased against black and decker, but if you have reason to disagree because you know that a B&D chainsaw happens to be good, then that's fine.

Thoughts?

We have one lone palm tree in the postage stamp we call a "front yard".

House Pacifica smaller.jpg

But you wouldn't believe how many dead fronds that damn thing releases every month, it's
incredible. So I too have been looking into a battery operated chainsaw but I'd really
rather get a product where the battery system will work with a variety of tools instead
of JUST a chainsaw.
But if and when I finally DO get one, it will mostly get used to chop up all the dead
palm fronds that keep raining down on us.
Too bad we don't live in a climate with real actual cold weather, I could burn them in the
fireplace but as long as I can rid us of them in short order I don't really care what
happens to them.

I'm leaning toward Milwaukee or Ryobi.

I am sure you have used one for years but when shit goes south and it happens all the time, those things will tear you apart.
peace

I hate to say it, but there are advantages to having contracted landscapers . . .

This would be for regular home use -- clearing out some dead trees now and again, basic pruning, etc. I don't imagine we'd ever need to cut anything thicker than 12". So it seems that an intro brand tool like Wen, Kobalt or Ryobi would be fine considering the limited use it would get, and that a Makita, Milkwaukee, Dewalt or Bosch is over the top. I'm reflexively biased against black and decker, but if you have reason to disagree because you know that a B&D chainsaw happens to be good, then that's fine.

Thoughts?
The eGO brand is pretty decent.

We have one lone palm tree in the postage stamp we call a "front yard".

View attachment 67376058

But you wouldn't believe how many dead fronds that damn thing releases every month, it's
incredible. So I too have been looking into a battery operated chainsaw but I'd really
rather get a product where the battery system will work with a variety of tools instead
of JUST a chainsaw.
But if and when I finally DO get one, it will mostly get used to chop up all the dead
palm fronds that keep raining down on us.
Too bad we don't live in a climate with real actual cold weather, I could burn them in the
fireplace
but as long as I can rid us of them in short order I don't really care what
happens to them.

I'm leaning toward Milwaukee or Ryobi.

If you lived in a place with legit 'cold weather', you would not have a palm tree! ;)

It’s not rocket science.

🤷

Agreed.

But, it does take a bit of effort.

However if it's a subject or hobby I'm interested in, it's effort I usually enjoy it. Which, the growing clutter in my house will attest to!

I'm definitely getting a "skip the introductory consumer brand" vibe in this thread.
And I'll throw in a "skip the battery power" chainsaw. Granted it was a decade or so that I bought my battery powered chainsaw, but suffice it to say I was not at all pleased with it. It was a Poulan, if I recall correctly.

I hate to say it, but there are advantages to having contracted landscapers . . .

Yeah, I let a young landscaper use my barn , it's a good sized barn. He takes care of the yard. Trees, bushes... does a lot in exchange.

I know nothing about chain saws, but do often ascribe to purchasing the 'value oriented quality' segment of products. However, to properly ferret those products out requires a lot of effort and dedication.

But crazy as it sounds, I've found Amazon to often be a good research source for a plethora of products; it seems they handle pretty much everything these days.

Research products with a high number of reviews and a high star rating, and sort the reviews by various parameters to assist your search.

I look at 4 star reviews, because those reviewers often sensibly point-out the slight or moderate negatives in an otherwise good product. I then glance at the 1 star reviews, only to see if there's a common critical complaint or caveat. Besides that, I avoid the 1 star reviews as they often are 1 star for skewed reasons, often reasons not even related to the product itself.

And I must say, if an item has either an 'Amazon Best value', 'Amazon Top Seller', or 'Amazon Best Rated' tag, I tend to buy with confidence if the item seems to otherwise meet my needs.

Also, Amazon buyers - by their nature - seem to predominately buy value oriented products. Yes, there may be some high-end products on Amazon; but they invariably are of lower sales volume. But the ones that are high volume sales, those that sell in the many hundreds and thousands, tend to be of good value.

Seriously, if you find a high volume sales Amazon product that has the 'Amazon Best Value' or 'Amazon Top Seller' tag, and it otherwise seems to fit your needs after your perusing the reviews, I'd consider buying it. I don't think I've ever been let down, doing that myself.

(I also might add I've used this Amazon research technique for products I've purchased elsewhere, as well)
Assuming the product has a good review weight and doesn't fail a Fakespot test:

1 star - I skip these because the problems are almost always outliers: the problem ends up being user error more often than not.
2 stars - A lot like 1 star, but less stupid.
3 stars - I pay attention to these guys the most, but they also tend to be curmudgeons, unfairly comparing the product to a higher end product (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with this either).
4 stars - these are good to pay attention to because the buyer isn't expecting miracles.
5 stars - hard pass. These buyers will give such sterling reviews as "Shipping was fast and on time! Easy unboxing!" Almost nothing deserves 5 stars because almost nothing is actually perfect.

Yeah, I let a young landscaper use my barn , it's a good sized barn. He takes care of the yard. Trees, bushes... does a lot in exchange.

My spread might be a bit smaller and more urban than yours, but I've had contracted landscaping & snow removal for years now, and I swear it is amazing peace-of-mind! My stress is way down, especially with the snow! I'll never go back to doing it myself. Never!

Thoughts?

I have the milwaukee chainsaw, only because I'm fully invested in the brand and I have a lot of milwaukee cordless tools. I also have a mid size stihl.

For occasional use, electric chainsaws are awesome, because they can sit for a year and they will always start. The pros are it cuts pretty good for what it is, it's quiet, and it always starts. Cons are it's heavy for such a small saw. Last winter I had a 10" or so tree fall on the roof of a rental house I own, and I had to climb up on a snowy, icy roof to remove it, and the milwakee was perfect for that. It's so nice to be able to just grab it and go without worrying about gas and 2 stroke oil or if it will start.

Electric chain saws are for the "Cafe Mocha Latte" bro's
Yeahbut, I watched my neighbour use one and it was cutting the full length of the bar. My 61cc Husqvarna can't do that.
But we heat with wood and one cutting season would probably kill any electric chainsaw.

Assuming the product has a good review weight and doesn't fail a Fakespot test:

1 star - I skip these because the problems are almost always outliers: the problem ends up being user error more often than not.
2 stars - A lot like 1 star, but less stupid.
3 stars - I pay attention to these guys the most, but they also tend to be curmudgeons, unfairly comparing the product to a higher end product (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with this either).
4 stars - these are good to pay attention to because the buyer isn't expecting miracles.
5 stars - hard pass. These buyers will give such sterling reviews as "Shipping was fast and on time! Easy unboxing!" Almost nothing deserves 5 stars because almost nothing is actually perfect.

Hah! I see I've been preaching to the choir!

1] Did you write, that I quoted?

2] Do you have an opinion on, 'Amazon Best Value' and 'Amazon Best Seller' tags?

The worst case scenario is a 12" cut (well...maybe). How practical do you see a reciprocating saw for that?
Are all sides of the tree accessible?

I think the blades are available up to 12”. The longer the blade, the floppier it is. If you can get to all sides, it should be doable.

Hah! I see I've been preaching to the choir!

1] Did you write, that I quoted?

2] Do you have an opinion on, 'Amazon Best Value' and 'Amazon Best Seller' tags?
Actually I did not have an opinion on those things, but I will pay attention to them now.

Yeahbut, I watched my neighbour use one and it was cutting the full length of the bar. My 61cc Husqvarna can't do that.
But we heat with wood and one cutting season would probably kill any electric chainsaw.

As much as I like you, Grand Mal, I'm so glad we're not (nearby) neighbors! :eek:

Any chainsaw under 21" and not gas powered is a waste of time

They are cheap crap.

I own 4 saws ranging from 27" to 21"

Back
Top Bottom