• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baton Rouge press conference today.

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If you have an opportunity to see it on line, take the time. Apparently the whole unfolding event was caught on multiple video cameras. Very interesting recap. And so damned sad.

Saddest part was the rundown on when the shooter killed one officer. Wounded another. The wounded LEO managed to get around the corner of the building at which time he dropped. Another officer, having taken shelter behind a dumpster, saw that the downed officer was still moving. He left cover to help the downed officer at which time the shooter came around the building, shot and killed the officer coming to help his friend, and then put two more shots into the wounded officer killing him. The cop describing events said one could see the downed wounded officer continuing to fire his gun as they could see the bullets ricocheting off the cement.

So sad.

The sniper who eventually took him down made his shot through an empty building from 100 yards away.

Another officer probably isn't going to make it. He's on life support.

Band of Brothers.

Any thoughts?

America has, long ago, lost its sense and sensibility. We now react emotionally and irrationally as often as possible. I'm not sure if there's something in the water, or if this is just the trend of societies, or why it is that we're on this anti-intellectual course.

In the end, there is an issue that needs to be addressed, but running around shooting cops is not going to solve it, it's not going to make it better. It will, in fact, make it worse. We cannot allow these acts of violence against the police continue, just as we need to be serious about abuse of power by the police and ensure that there is proper oversight and that abuses are properly punished. I'm not sure if this is going to get worse or not, I'd hope that reason could prevail, but then again i don't see reason as prevailing in general in America.

Either way, the fundamental issues need to be addressed, but these actions by these lone nut jobs are only going to exacerbate them. I'm not sure what the solution is...or rather how we can properly approach the solution.

Best part of the press conference was when the officer took issue with those calling for a demilitarization of police forces.

No doubt that SWAT team saved more lives with that one shot kill.

Best part of the press conference was when the officer took issue with those calling for a demilitarization of police forces.

No doubt that SWAT team saved more lives with that one shot kill.
Then again, many of these police ambushes wouldn't even be happening if not for the militarization of police.

We reap what we sew.

Which could also be said for some in the black community, too.

What's the answer? Hard to say, but I doubt taking what we've been doing and putting it on steroids is the answer.

Then again, many of these police ambushes wouldn't even be happening if not for the militarization of police.

We reap what we sew.

What's the answer? Hard to say, but I doubt taking what we've been doing and putting it on steroids is the answer.
I think along the lines of militarization of criminals. Like Prohibition, for example. Name one person of interest that was killed for their skin color. Not one.

Not even the kid in Cleveland who was killed when he refused to put away the phony but lifelike gun. You still think those cops in Cleveland were in the wrong, after all that's gone down? You want your law enforcement officers even more on edge? Not responding? What's your response to that?

Last edited:
If you have an opportunity to see it on line, take the time. Apparently the whole unfolding event was caught on multiple video cameras. Very interesting recap. And so damned sad.

Saddest part was the rundown on when the shooter killed one officer. Wounded another. The wounded LEO managed to get around the corner of the building at which time he dropped. Another officer, having taken shelter behind a dumpster, saw that the downed officer was still moving. He left cover to help the downed officer at which time the shooter came around the building, shot and killed the officer coming to help his friend, and then put two more shots into the wounded officer killing him. The cop describing events said one could see the downed wounded officer continuing to fire his gun as they could see the bullets ricocheting off the cement.

So sad.

The sniper who eventually took him down made his shot through an empty building from 100 yards away.

Another officer probably isn't going to make it. He's on life support.

Band of Brothers.

Any thoughts?
I saw on the news a video that the shooter had previously published. He said that the only way to effect change was through action, meaning violence. He said that zero change has ever been effected through peaceful protest. He was quite animated and emphasized the "only" and "zero" aspects, btw.

I want to say that he's simply wrong regarding zero change resulting from peaceful protest, but am having a hard time coming up with examples.

We reap what we sew.

You don't know that. The black community has been ginned up by its so-called leaders to view themselves as victims. Even the POTUS has contributed to that erroneous perspective. By design. Where he could have sown beautiful examples from his OWN remarkable life, he chose, instead, to castigate others and blame everyone except the black community.

None of that has much to do with the militarization of police.

I want to say that he's simply wrong regarding zero change resulting from peaceful protest, but am having a hard time coming up with examples.

Gandhi

I saw on the news a video that the shooter had previously published. He said that the only way to effect change was through action, meaning violence. He said that zero change has ever been effected through peaceful protest. He was quite animated and emphasized the "only" and "zero" aspects, btw.

Then someone with brains needs to step up and lead BLM. What is it specifically that they want? What do they think will help them? Where the dialogue SHOULD start now is at the negotiating table. Not sniping in a parking lot in Baton Rouge.

There is a color war involving the police. Blue is being shot.

The Civil Rights Movement of the 60's?

You don't know that. The black community has been ginned up by its so-called leaders to view themselves as victims. Even the POTUS has contributed to that erroneous perspective. By design. Where he could have sown beautiful examples from his OWN remarkable life, he chose, instead, to castigate others and blame everyone except the black community.

None of that has much to do with the militarization of police.
I believe you believe that. I believe you are also incorrect.

I do not believe it is the only reason. The other reasons you cite are indeed part of it, but not solely. Our police have been kicking (figuratively speaking) blacks for a long time and giving these so-called leaders fodder to work with. Plus, you can kick a person for only so long before even the most timid will begin to fight back.

Then someone with brains needs to step up and lead BLM. What is it specifically that they want? What do they think will help them? Where the dialogue SHOULD start now is at the negotiating table. Not sniping in a parking lot in Baton Rouge.
I'm with you on this. Keep in mind that I was simply reporting on what I saw.

I believe you believe that. I believe you are also incorrect.

I do not believe it is the only reason. The other reasons you cite are indeed part of it, but not solely. Our police have been kicking (figuratively speaking) blacks for a long time and giving these so-called leaders fodder to work with. Plus, you can kick a person for only so long before even the most timid will begin to fight back.

I completely agree with you here. The LE community is a dismal failure, DISMAL FAILURE, when it comes to policing their own. That culture simply must change. The mechanism is there, in my opinion. And cops deserve to be a large part of that oversight. I have no problem in believing that civilians don't get it when it comes to split second decisions in the field. How can they?

All the cops hate Internal Affairs. That's a good sign that they're doing something right, in my opinion. My quick solution would be to have IA investigate. Make them Federal whatevers. Lie to them and off to jail you go.

The Lequan McDonald shooting in Chicago saw almost every police officer on the scene reporting that he lunged at the shooting officer. They, of course, didn't know there was dash cam video...or they thought it would be covered up. Pretty clear in my opinion that he was shot in the back. And shot a total of 16 times by the officer involved. People should go to jail for that kind of blatant misrepresentation. For a long time. AND it took almost two years to arrest the officer involved, and then only because the video became public.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom