• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Batman V Superman, the good, the bad, and the wtf? Spoiler Free

Ntharotep

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I was already lowering my expectations when the pre-release "sneak peek" reviewers were dogging the movie. And, perhaps, this made me enjoy it more than I would have but, IMHO, this movie was not nearly as bad as the critics remarks.
I was in another forum and one poster said this was "the worse superhero movie ever" to which I replied with images of the movie posters for Batman and Robin and Superman IV.

Anyhow, here's my break down without giving things away and my :twocents: on the good and bad of it.

GOOD
• There were scenes directly from the comics, beautifully done scenes that ranged from Perez to Miller homage stuff that was just sweet.
• Gal Gadot was amazing as Wonder Woman. Even when she was losing a fight she had this "YES! THIS is a fight" grin on her face and she ran between sophisticated and fierce warrior nicely.
• Afleck was a good, aged Bruce Wayne. And was a rather good match up for Cavill's Clark Kent/Superman.
• I had my trepidations with Jesse Eisenberg as Lex...he looks 12. BUT, he did a pretty good job at not only playing the egomaniac but bringing it into his own with a different, more insane take on the character. I was most pleasantly surprised by his performance. His plans actually made some twisted sense to.
• The other hero types that appear do so in a way that doesn't take away from the movie's plot at all but gives a nice nod to them nonetheless.
• ACTION! This movie is the longest movie I've seen in awhile and still flew by with everything happening.
• Magic works on Kryptonian types...I won't elaborate but yeah...
• Plot Twist :)
• Lois Lane did things!! ;)

NOT SO GOOD
• There were scenes that really needed more explaining and were confusing (still nicely and beautifully done scenes but kind of wtf is going on here? in their placement).
• One character got his butt handed to him one time too many for a guy with his skills and powers.
• C'mon guys...learn something from Marvel and have afters...
• Some of the acting...some of the dialogue just made no sense... "I failed him in life" especially...you knew him for two seconds...c'mon!!

Now. I think personally one of the biggest things against Batman v Superman is Marvel. Marvel took years to bring a team together in a way that DC is doing in a few movies.
I think this is more the fans and critics' faults than DC's as well. They got tunnel vision with Marvel and decided that this was the only approach to a team movie. It isn't and DC hasn't done a bad job with their own approach.
The downside IS that we don't get to know the characters as well as we know the Marvel characters because we are only seeing them in a movie or two before they are thrown together but if that's the worse thing we face going into JLA then it is definitely not a showstopper.
I hope this franchise survives (despite its showing and money, Warner can be pretty skiddish so there's still a chance they shelve JLA which would be too bad). It seems Wonder Woman, at least, is green lit and in the making which is nice. It will be good to see a good showing of a female superhero in her own movie, something we haven't really gotten yet (the 80s Supergirl far far far aside).

That's what I've got.

I was already lowering my expectations when the pre-release "sneak peek" reviewers were dogging the movie. And, perhaps, this made me enjoy it more than I would have but, IMHO, this movie was not nearly as bad as the critics remarks.
I was in another forum and one poster said this was "the worse superhero movie ever" to which I replied with images of the movie posters for Batman and Robin and Superman IV.

Anyhow, here's my break down without giving things away and my :twocents: on the good and bad of it.

GOOD
• There were scenes directly from the comics, beautifully done scenes that ranged from Perez to Miller homage stuff that was just sweet.
• Gal Gadot was amazing as Wonder Woman. Even when she was losing a fight she had this "YES! THIS is a fight" grin on her face and she ran between sophisticated and fierce warrior nicely.
• Afleck was a good, aged Bruce Wayne. And was a rather good match up for Cavill's Clark Kent/Superman.
• I had my trepidations with Jesse Eisenberg as Lex...he looks 12. BUT, he did a pretty good job at not only playing the egomaniac but bringing it into his own with a different, more insane take on the character. I was most pleasantly surprised by his performance. His plans actually made some twisted sense to.
• The other hero types that appear do so in a way that doesn't take away from the movie's plot at all but gives a nice nod to them nonetheless.
• ACTION! This movie is the longest movie I've seen in awhile and still flew by with everything happening.
• Magic works on Kryptonian types...I won't elaborate but yeah...
• Plot Twist :)
• Lois Lane did things!! ;)

NOT SO GOOD
• There were scenes that really needed more explaining and were confusing (still nicely and beautifully done scenes but kind of wtf is going on here? in their placement).
• One character got his butt handed to him one time too many for a guy with his skills and powers.
• C'mon guys...learn something from Marvel and have afters...
• Some of the acting...some of the dialogue just made no sense... "I failed him in life" especially...you knew him for two seconds...c'mon!!

Now. I think personally one of the biggest things against Batman v Superman is Marvel. Marvel took years to bring a team together in a way that DC is doing in a few movies.
I think this is more the fans and critics' faults than DC's as well. They got tunnel vision with Marvel and decided that this was the only approach to a team movie. It isn't and DC hasn't done a bad job with their own approach.
The downside IS that we don't get to know the characters as well as we know the Marvel characters because we are only seeing them in a movie or two before they are thrown together but if that's the worse thing we face going into JLA then it is definitely not a showstopper.
I hope this franchise survives (despite its showing and money, Warner can be pretty skiddish so there's still a chance they shelve JLA which would be too bad). It seems Wonder Woman, at least, is green lit and in the making which is nice. It will be good to see a good showing of a female superhero in her own movie, something we haven't really gotten yet (the 80s Supergirl far far far aside).

That's what I've got.

I'm glad you liked the movie, Ntharotep. I agree with your review. I would add that Affleck brings an unyielding performance, and the interpretation of Bruce Wayne as a highly cynical, aged, smoldering hero was a unique twist.

I'm a bit of a Superman purist, and so I'm not pleased with how they've handled him. I didn't like that he killed Zod in Man of Steel, nor do I think he needs to be questioning his optimistic vision of the world in every other scene.

Though I think they should drop Snyder, I think DC will get better at these films. They might never match Marvel, but there's no doubt that Wonder Woman and the Justice League movies have some real potential.

Last edited:
"Is she with you?"

"I thought she was with you."

...Batman? You've been exchanging email with this woman.

Am I the only one that noticed that Batman provided nothing in the final fight scene? His only contribution was to run like hell and not die. That's it. He never even once attacked the big bad monster. I'm sorry, but Batman should have had some gadget that at least distracted the monster. Running like a little girl was just pathetic.

Worst part of the movie was Lex Luthor, because he wasnt Lex Luthor.
He was an awesome Joker though!

Am I the only one that noticed that Batman provided nothing in the final fight scene? His only contribution was to run like hell and not die. That's it. He never even once attacked the big bad monster. I'm sorry, but Batman should have had some gadget that at least distracted the monster. Running like a little girl was just pathetic.

He shot the krypton it's gas at it, which weakened it while Wonder Woman roped it so Superman could spear it

No, you're not the only one who noticed that. Literally all he did was grapple-hook his ass out of the way.

No, you're not the only one who noticed that. Literally all he did was grapple-hook his ass out of the way.

When gods battle the best a mortal can do is get outta the way ;)

He shot the krypton it's gas at it, which weakened it while Wonder Woman roped it so Superman could spear it

I don't remember that at all, and neither does Kobie:

I'm glad you liked the movie, Ntharotep. I agree with your review. I would add that Affleck brings an unyielding performance, and the interpretation of Bruce Wayne as a highly cynical, aged, smoldering hero was a unique twist.
I'm a bit of a Superman purist, and so I'm not pleased with how they've handled him. I didn't like that he killed Zod in Man of Steel, nor do I think he needs to be questioning his optimistic vision of the world in every other scene.
Though I think they should drop Snyder, I think DC will get better at these films. They might never match Marvel, but there's no doubt that Wonder Woman and the Justice League movies have some real potential.
I really did like the Frank Milleresque Batman and bringing it together with the Doomsday story (nice merge and kudos to the writer/director on that).
I also have to agree this is definitely not the pure superman of comics and movies gone by. I have had that same issue but also understand it a little bit with the darker takes on the movie. Maybe he will stand out more as a shining beacon in JLA.

That's because he "failed him in life" :D
It would have been nice to see a remote batman airstrike though...even if it would have been ineffectual.

I'm still not sure of the aged, MIller Batman being a part of the JLA but it should be fun.
Speaking of fun, this is kind of priceless too:

I love this series in general. Funny stuff.

It's understandable. Half the theater was asleep by then.

But it happened.

I noticed it but I was already so disappointed inthe huge ridiculous creature thing that towards the end I was tuning out. Except when Wonder Woman was on. She stole the show.

I noticed it but I was already so disappointed inthe huge ridiculous creature thing that towards the end I was tuning out. Except when Wonder Woman was on. She stole the show.

"Is she with you?"
"I thought she was with you."

Batman. You were exchanging emails with her. She's here because of you!

No she didn't! She did literally nothing until the end.

Correct-a-mundo!

Sure, Gal Godot is attractive, but she's not much of an actress and Batman's reaction to her appearance made no sense. You've been basically Tindering with her for months. You don't recognize her?

Sure, Gal Godot is attractive, but she's not much of an actress and Batman's reaction to her appearance made no sense. You've been basically Tindering with her for months. You don't recognize her?

Huh?

Batman was swapping emails with her, knew what she looked like, then seemed surprised when she showed up to fight Doomsday.

"I thought she was with you?"

Batman was swapping emails with her, knew what she looked like, then seemed surprised when she showed up to fight Doomsday.

Oh. All I know is she was a bad ass...

Actually Batman knew she was looking into stuff and didn't really know who she was. She may well have been another Kryptonian as far as he knew. She was never explained in the movie so there was no way Batman could know.

And she is eye candy. We shall see in the next one if she is more than that.

Did you actually watch the movie? It was dreadful.

It was by a million miles the best batman movie ever made.
Ben Afleck was surprisingly the best batman in any movie ever made.
That being said it was a merely a decent film.

Back
Top Bottom