• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bastille Day Terrorist had Support, Planned Attack for 1 Year

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A truck driver who killed dozens of Bastille Day revelers in Nice, France, had been planning the attack for months and had at least five accomplices, the Paris prosecutor said Thursday.

Analysis of Bouhlel's cell phone uncovered photos, texts and phone calls that indicated he started planning last Bastille Day, Molins said, adding that Bouhlel took photos of fireworks on July 14, 2015 an in August 2015, and centered the photos around the crowds watching them.

The suspected accomplices — four men and one woman — were in custody in Nice, Francois Molins told a news conference, and will be charged Thursday on several terrorist counts.

Nice Truck Driver Planned Attack a Year Ago, Had Accomplices - NBC News

It appears that the Bastille Day Attack was carefully planned over the course of 12 months. 5 accomplices will be charged with terrorism related offences.

Thoughts?
Comments?

It appears that the Bastille Day Attack was carefully planned over the course of 12 months. 5 accomplices will be charged with terrorism related offences.

Thoughts?
Comments?

My thoughts?

Innocent until proven guilty.

'Will be charged' means little to me. 'Have been convicted' means a lot to me.

IMO, the guy was nuts. That is why he did it.

Whether he had accomplices or not should be left to the actual courts and not the court of public opinion.

Hopefully, it he did it all by himself with no help from anyone.

Thoughts?
Comments?

No surprise. It should be expected. Also that does not account for the other Muslims who knew about it and said nothing. Can I prove others knew, no. But what are the chances they did? I'd say pretty damn good.

My thoughts?

Whether he had accomplices or not should be left to the actual courts and not the court of public opinion.

I also think the guy was nuts, especially when considering his brother's statement.

But I could be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see.

I also think the guy was nuts, especially when considering his brother's statement.

But I could be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see.

I believe that anyone that would deliberately kill dozens of innocent civilians (including children) HAS to be insane...no matter what their 'cause' was.

Btw, I really like your avatar and I am not sure why.

This will come as a surprise to no one. The rush to make excuses as to why this isnt REALLY Islamic terrorism will also come as no suprise.

My thoughts?

From our perspective, it would be easy to say that anyone who kills because they think God digs it is nuts. There's just no part of our culture that feels that way. However, Isis and their supporters come from a completely different culture than ours. That's important to remember.

I believe that anyone that would deliberately kill dozens of innocent civilians (including children) HAS to be insane...no matter what their 'cause' was.

Btw, I really like your avatar and I am not sure why.

Islam does not consider non-Muslims innocents. Remember that.

This will come as a surprise to no one. The rush to make excuses as to why this isnt REALLY Islamic terrorism will also come as no suprise.

It's important to get all the facts straight because we're seeing 2 dangerous things occurring right now:

1. Isis is recruiting random people from Muslim backgrounds online to carry out attacks. This makes them more powerful.

2. The media is trying to say that online recruits somehow aren't really Isis members, and therefore they aren't committing Islamic terrorism. With an election coming up, the media wants to do everything possible to distract people from connecting the dots.

It's important to get all the facts straight because we're seeing 2 dangerous things occurring right now:

1. Isis is recruiting random people from Muslim backgrounds online to carry out attacks. This makes them more powerful.

2. The media is trying to say that online recruits somehow aren't really Isis members, and therefore they aren't committing Islamic terrorism. With an election coming up, the media wants to do everything possible to distract people from connecting the dots.

Aside from ISIS making an unsubstantiated claim that it was their operation, there is still no proof that the truck driver was a part of that organization. Even the article in the OP says that the ones that have been arrested have no ties to Islamic radicalism.

Thoughts?
Comments?

Yes, hold all terrorists and those who have knowledge of their plans accountable. But if you add together all the Muslims involved in all the terrorist attacks in Europe and America this century, you're going to find that's a very small percentage indeed.

The world has entered a new era of warfare - and those who have much less money, much less in the way of industrial capability and logistical support, are forced to find other ways to "get the most bang for the buck", as it were. This has also been called "asymmetrical warfare"...and that's precisely what it is. As a direct result, instead of sending in armies, risking a few thousand to maybe kill a few thousand, they (the relatively very few who are involved in or materially support terrorism) instead send in a handful to kill dozens, or hundreds. It's much more cost-effective...warfare on the cheap.

What's more, this isn't warfare of nation against nation - and NO, it's not religion against religion (religion's the excuse, not the reason). What this is, is a time in human history where allegiance is determined by what sect of what religion, and what websites one frequents. Such a time has been posited before in speculative fiction (William Gibson, IIRC) in which instead of religious sects initiating violence, it was multinational corporations that initiated violence. And if one thinks about it, both are examples of organizations that have little need for recognizing borders, but are able to extend their power and influence across borders with relative ease.

Hitler is despised by most everyone, and rightly so...but as with all other genocidal maniacs, he wasn't always wrong in his observations - one of which that a major factor in the loss of WWI was that the Triple Entente - the allies - were much better in the field of propaganda than the Central Powers (Germany and Austria-Hungary). England, France, and America were able to use the press to drum up support for the Entente and against the Central Powers, and this had a direct and telling influence against Germany. For their part, Germany's greatest success in this arena was by secretly sending Lenin into Russia, where he began a revolution that ended any threat Germany faced on the Eastern Front.

The lesson here is that America needs to remember that propaganda - as much as most of us despise the word - is a very important part of warfare...and if we want to win the war against terrorists (which can't be "won" per se, but can be minimized and marginalized), we need the skillful use of propaganda to deglamorize the terrorists in the eyes of those who are most likely to be radicalized by the terrorists - in other words, we need to get the regular everyday Muslims on OUR side, instead of driving them away. Otherwise, the more we drive them away, the more we violate the old maxim of "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer", the more terrorist attacks will be conducted against us.

My thoughts?

The man was quite probably nuts as you say. Of course, many criminals are nuts.
But that does not mean he wasn't part of a plan. The cutting edge of the sythe or maybe a symitar or whatever.

Thoughts?
Comments?

What difference, at this point, does it really make? ;)

The powers that be do not wish to admit that "non-radicalized" Muslim acquaintances are quite prevalent. The effort to connect all of the dots of those that supported (encouraged?) the act just may lead to the Koran itself - then it gets into quite politically incorrect territory. Many more than they wish to admit do not see infidels as innocent.

Can someone help me find that video of bin laden reading the Koran and the parts that say (I am paraphrasing here) they don't differentiate between civilians and soldiers? It was one of his famous infidel speeches.

And the Bible says gays should be killed and it is alright to not only have slaves but to beat them to death - provided they take at least 2 or 3 days to die. Remember that.

All major religions are ridiculous.

Wrong. Flatly wrong. But please read the whole post before going off the deep end.

What you and the other Islamophobes simply don't get is that the Qur'an - which shares a great many passages and stories with the Bible - has (like the Bible) many passages that are either contradictory with other passages, or can be easily misconstrued.

For instance, if you'd actually take a few minutes to learn about what the Qur'an says, you'd realize that in the words attributed to God (note the phrasing there - I did that for a reason), that the killing of innocents is not only forbidden, but a sure way to damnation. Not only that, but the destruction of NON-Islamic places of worship is ALSO, according to the Qur'an, against God's will.

So where does all the violence come from? Tribalism, the lust for power, from xenophobia, and the Middle Eastern tradition of holding grudges not just over decades, but across entire generations...and so those who search for recruits use verses that contradict the verses listed in the link above. It's much like how the words of the Bible has been used many times for great crimes - "Thou shalt not kill" is contradicted by "Do not suffer a witch to live" and "Leave no one in the nation alive, not even animals". It's like I said above - the religion is not the reason, but is used as an excuse. The examples of precisely this in human history are legion indeed.

Now, concerning the phrasing I pointed out above, I am very much a Christian - the words in the Bible (when translated properly) do contain the words of God. The reason I know a bit about Islam is that I wrote a book...and researching the book took me places I'd never expected, from how to properly curry a horse to pre-CRISPR gene manipulation to Syrian culture...and as a result I have a very healthy respect for other writers, for just how much research goes into most books.

Aside from ISIS making an unsubstantiated claim that it was their operation, there is still no proof that the truck driver was a part of that organization. Even the article in the OP says that the ones that have been arrested have no ties to Islamic radicalism.

The story changes in installments, as we get new information every few days.

Several days ago, according to what people were saying, Bouhlel;
Wasn't a Muslim.
Carried out the attack because he had had a tough separation from his wife and kids.
Was a "lone wolf" with no accomplices.
Had absolutely nothing to do with Isis.

We now know all of those things to be false.

What we now know about Bouhlel:

Attended mosque.
Sent $100,000 in cash to his family (Isis sends cash to jihadists in Europe)
Had pictures of Isis members stored on his computer
Had cell phone records connecting him to Isis recruiter Omar Diaby
Had been planning the Bastille attack since summer 2015
Had 5 accomplices who are being charged with terrorism TODAY by French prosecutors.

Why are people still denying that Bouhlel was an Islamic terrorist with ties to Isis?

What difference, at this point, does it really make? ;)

The powers that be do not wish to admit that "non-radicalized" Muslim acquaintances are quite prevalent. The effort to connect all of the dots of those that supported (encouraged?) the act just may lead to the Koran itself - then it gets into quite politically incorrect territory. Many more than they wish to admit do not see infidels as innocent.

Good points. I do however think that it makes a difference, unless we want to just live with 84 or 140 people being killed every 6 months or so in terror attacks.

Maybe believing that Bouhlel was just a random nut helps people to put these things out of their mind, idk. I can see the psychological aspect of that, so I'm not really expecting people to dig too deep. I just think its a damn shame when we get to the point of living with this problem, and not finding a solution.

Wrong. Flatly wrong. But please read the whole post before going off the deep end.

What you and the other Islamophobes simply don't get is that the Qur'an - which shares a great many passages and stories with the Bible - has (like the Bible) many passages that are either contradictory with other passages, or can be easily misconstrued.

For instance, if you'd actually take a few minutes to learn about what the Qur'an says, you'd realize that in the words attributed to God (note the phrasing there - I did that for a reason), that the killing of innocents is not only forbidden, but a sure way to damnation. Not only that, but the destruction of NON-Islamic places of worship is ALSO, according to the Qur'an, against God's will.

So where does all the violence come from? Tribalism, the lust for power, from xenophobia, and the Middle Eastern tradition of holding grudges not just over decades, but across entire generations...and so those who search for recruits use verses that contradict the verses listed in the link above. It's much like how the words of the Bible has been used many times for great crimes - "Thou shalt not kill" is contradicted by "Do not suffer a witch to live" and "Leave no one in the nation alive, not even animals". It's like I said above - the religion is not the reason, but is used as an excuse. The examples of precisely this in human history are legion indeed.

Now, concerning the phrasing I pointed out above, I am very much a Christian - the words in the Bible (when translated properly) do contain the words of God. The reason I know a bit about Islam is that I wrote a book...and researching the book took me places I'd never expected, from how to properly curry a horse to pre-CRISPR gene manipulation to Syrian culture...and as a result I have a very healthy respect for other writers, for just how much research goes into most books.

Psst...don't forget abrogation. You know, all the good parts and nice, peaceful words (stolen from Judaism/Christianity before Mohammad had any power and he expected the Jews and Christians to follow him...except the Jews knew him for what he was and rejected him...too smart for him, which is why he developed a pathological hatred for Jews) are abrogated by later, violent verses invented by him after he gained power and a larger following and could slaughter happily. Abrogation is the key word.

One need not be a member of ISIS to be a fundamentalist Islamist terrorist. One needs only to kill in the glorious name of Allah.

Psst...don't forget abrogation. You know, all the good parts and nice, peaceful words (stolen from Judaism/Christianity before Mohammad had any power and he expected the Jews and Christians to follow him...except the Jews knew him for what he was and rejected him...too smart for him, which is why he developed a pathological hatred for Jews) are abrogated by later, violent verses invented by him after he gained power and a larger following and could slaughter happily. Abrogation is the key word.

I suggest you read the following explanation of what the Qur'an actually says. Read it carefully and you should see that NO, Jews aren't to be hated or killed or whatever. In fact, it's rather easy to look up the verse that says there is to be no compulsion in religion.

In other words, there's a LOT of Muslims out there who don't follow what the Qur'an actually says. In fact, Mohammed left instructions that after he died, there was to be nothing else to be written about what he himself said or did. However, after he died, they did exactly that, and now they're called "Hadith" and "Sunna" - recordings of what Mohammed said or did...and if you read them, some of them are pretty ridiculous, like the one by some guy named Bukhari who said that Mohammed supposedly proclaimed that if a woman or a black dog walks in front of a man while he's praying, his prayers will not be heard. Pretty silly, huh?

But if you dig into things, the Muslims don't hate the Jews for being Jewish - but they do hate the Zionists (and there's a significant difference between Jews and Zionists). However, if you really do want to find hatred against Jews, look into what Martin Luther (the "Father of Protestantism") actually wrote - he hated Jews with a passion, and his writings were used by the Nazis to excuse their earlier persecutions of the Jews in majority-Lutheran Germany.

Didn't some of the Muslim apologists say that it was just a guy who had marital problems and snapped?

Cough...cough....

Back
Top Bottom