• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Basic Questions for Evolutionists

Also birds use sticks and even stones, and they make nests. I have read most amazing observations of crows. Ibelieve somebody was sharing about a crow putting a hard nut on a road so that a car tire would crash the shell for her... or something like this.

I certainly was meaning what I was meaning. Animals do not make tools or houses. They follow instincts but no thoughts. They cannot be in a process of tool making, by definition. ''I will make a spear with a pointed end so I will reach further and pear flesh of an animal'' – there is no such a thought or any other thought in animal brain.

Classic example of moving the goal posts.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalpost]Moving the goalpost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Moving the goalpost, also known as raising the bar, is an informal logically fallacious argument in which evidence presented in response to a specific claim is dismissed and some other (often greater) evidence is demanded. In other words, after an attempt has been made to score a goal, the goalposts are moved to exclude the attempt. This attempts to leave the impression that an argument had a fair hearing while actually reaching a preordained conclusion.

:rofl
Justone got banned. I guess he won't be responding. I wonder what he did?

The man was insane.

Plus at the personal level I really do not accept it in the sense that it shows all life evolved from a common ancestor. But it cannot breed with other mosquitoes so that does that make it a macroevolution example. It is still a mosquito but..........

Back to shifting those goalposts.

You asked for evidence that supported macro-evolution.

No it is an argument from allotted time for the evolution to take place.

No, it is YOUR personal incredulity.

The age of the Earth was something that had the potential to falsify evolution.

Guess what? It didn't do so.

The problem that you are running into is that the time frames are virtually incomprehensible.

I know you are aware that is we uses viruses and bacteria to study evolution because of the prolific reproduction rate so we can study many generations in a relatively short period of time. The mosquito and E. coli have produced more generations and numbers far beyond human generations and numbers and even with that huge number of all those E. coli/mosquito generations/populations the end result is really not much.

They are not huge numbers. On the time scales that we are talking, they are on the order of a litre of water in an Olympic-sized swimming pool.

I can see where it is a big deal to evolutionists but to average guys like me it is, oh great just we need another species of mosquito!

So?

Why do you think that you are qualified to make a judgment of the veracity of evolution? Is there any other field of science that you feel you are qualified to judge?

It is hard to get good information

No. It isn't.

I agree so I usually go with the most stated examples admitted by both sides. Everything I have ever heard or read concerning mutation states that there is a loss information regardless of the type of mutation.

Then you are only reading ID and creationist sources.

Polyploidy is a duplication of genes. It doubles (or triples, quadruples..) the genes. If genes are information, then that is an increase by any definition.

A frame-shift changes the protein made by a particular coding.

A frame-shift in a duplicated area can give us completely new information.

That's an off-the-cuff explanation based on my (very) limited knowledge of some of the things that can happen during reproduction.

The way I have always seen it written is mostly neutral, sometimes harmful and rarely beneficial all resulting in a loss of information. I saw an argument once for frame shift mutation that states this adds new information and a counter argument stating that although new information may be added more old information is still actually lost and they are usually detrimental.

The common information I have read for a beneficial mutation is you gain function but still lose information. Why do you disagree with this?

See my above comment. It was new information without any loss.

I read somewhere that somebody managed to breed horses and cows in some kind of reverse evolution type manner and eventually produce offspring strains that had been extinct.

You may have read it, that doesn't make it true.

And this doesn't pass the "smell" test.

If such be true then maybe much more in the junk DNA than any of us think.

Whether or not it is true doesn't matter.

"Junk DNA" is such a broad term that it is virtually meaningless. It pretty much means all of the stretches of DNA that doesn't currently do anything that we know of.

We both already agreed that the bible does not give a written in stone definition of kind. Also even in biology and zoology they have what they call the species problem even to this day. The KJV bible was written in 1611. At that time there was no real definition of a species. The biological definition of a species was not introduced until the 1680's and has been revised and argued about ever since. In 1611 the idea of a species was the agricultural concept similar gives birth to similar. As stated there is no solid definition from then until even today. Now if the biologists zoologists etc can't come up with a solid definition why do you seem to think I can?

I said from the outset that you probably couldn't. Nobody that I know of has been able to produce a coherent, intelligible and useful definition of "kind".

But part of what you are saying is that evolution is limited to variation within Biblical kinds.

I'm saying that you cannot make that claim if you cannot define what a "kind" is.

No rather an argument of complexity.

That is an argument from incredulity.

"It's complex. I don't see how it could have happened. Therefore, God (oops, an anonymous, indeterminate intelligent designer) did it."

I know we do not yet know how the information arose. If we can not explain the actual source of the information then it is little early to be popping Champaign corks claiming victory that it can all be explained by natural processes.

The entirety of human history and knowledge consists of our increasing understanding of natural explanations for things.

The entirety of human history and knowledge consists of the complete failure of explanations other than natural ones.

Scientists aren't stating that abiogenesis has a natural cause. They are investigating natural causes because that is the only thing that they can investigate. It just so happens that everything that we have ever come to understand has a natural explanation.

Not surprised to here you say that but he is always going toe to toe with somebody over on his blog site.

So what? Behe deserves to be completely dismissed. He has been forced to admit that the standards that he uses to claim that ID is a science would also mean that astrology would be a science. When presented with entire textbooks describing what he claimed to be impossible (evolution of the human immune system), he admitted that he was not familiar with them, but he dismissed them, unread, as not relevant to his claims.

Behe is an embarrassment.

No I am not even talking about the origin of life. I am talking about the origin of information in the genes.

The evidence thus far seems to indicate that genes predate life.

Besides, you are still being so vague with your terminology that an answer is virtually impossible.

What do you mean by "information in the genes"?

Even starting 6 million years ago with the supposed common ancestor for humans

Common ancestor with what?

Six million years ago is about one million years before Ardipithicus ramidus...and nearly 4 million before Homo habilis.

Nevermind...google-fu to the rescue. Six million years would be the last common ancestor between humans and chimpanzees...

that is one heck of a lot of information to add to get from that point to here starting with a small population via natural selection with random mutations.

Hold on. What information was added? Humans have 23 pairs of genes, chimpanzees (and the other great apes) have 24. Human chromosome 2 is a fusion of two "chimpanzee" genes.

If you're interested, here's a YouTube clip (only about 4 minutes) of Dr. Ken Miller (Biology Professor and Roman Catholic) explaining this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8FfMBYCkk"]YouTube- Ken Miller on Human Evolution[/ame]

Humans are great apes, along with chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans. There is nothing about us that is not a variation of a characteristic found in the other great apes. And fairly minor variations, at that.

And that is just considering humans. That is not taking into account all the other millions of species. I know you say argument from incredulity but so be it. I just do not see the process of evolution being able to get the job done.

That is a fault with your understanding, not with evolution.

ID is nothing more than creationism presented in a dishonest fashion in an attempt to make it look valid.
Do you feel the same way about theistic evolution? After all they believe that God started it all thus everything we see according their view still has an intelligent cause.

No, that's God-of-the-gaps. It is an attempt to reconcile faith in God with scientific advances in knowledge.

ID is the dishonest attempt to pass religious creationism off as science.

My claim: "Every single piece of relevant evidence supports the Theory of Evolution."

Show me one piece of relevant evidence that does not support the Theory of Evolution.
We are discussing only a very thin slice of the issue here and I have no desire to expand it but to me from the universe itself to the most micro level of the cell we see complexity that seems to show that life was intended to rise in one form or another.

And this is the primary difference.

I'm talking about evidence. You are talking about how things seem "to you".

Complicated symbiotic systems simply do not just happen.

That's right. They don't. They evolve very, very gradually.

If it were all simple and just a few systems I might be persuaded but it isn't.

It was...about 3 billion years ago.

We are see numerous complicated systems in a very extreme form.

That have arisen after about 3.5 billion of years of evolution.

That is about how many seconds there are in 1,000 years.

To think that from the big bang until today all this arose due to random evolution to me is an appeal to incredulity in itself.

No. That would be a strawman representation of cosmology and evolution.

Evolution is not random. It is a selective process.

Maybe you are in a better position to see and evaluate the actual evidence than I am but from my limited perspective I just do not see it.

There are a couple of rules that will help you with that.

1) Creationists tell lies. They either naively and innocently repeat lies (the majority), or they directly tell lies (like Ken Hamm and Kent Hovind).
2) There is no scientific conspiracy regarding evolution (or anything else, for that matter).

I have never heard of that. How can they tell there are amino's in an inter stellar cloud???

Spectrographic analysis.

But, apparently I overstated somewhat. Only one amino acid has been found, glycine. They have also found pre-biotic compounds (the building blocks of amino acids).

Well I need to wrap things up I am leaving in 24 hours so all the last minute stuff.

The horse and cattle experiments I found by accident just browsing around and I cannot find that specific site again but I did find an allusion to the cattle experiments. They are called Heck cattle. It was sponsored by the Nazi's.
It was an attempt to resurrect the Aurochs' They had some results and these cattle are still around but the original article I read seems to have overstated the actual results.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heck_cattle]Heck cattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Apparently now there has been an perhaps unwanted development in the Lenski E. coli experiment. The DNA has lost the ability to repair itself and the E.coli are mutating 70 times faster than normal. Behe is claiming that this is something that ID has been predicting concerning mutations. That they would produce no new systems and the be mostly degradative. So it would seem at least by this experiment that evolution via Natural Selection and Random mutation has its it limits

New work by Richard Lenski | Uncommon Descent - The Weblog of Michael Behe

There is a link there to a paper by Lenski but I can only access the abstract

The mosquito's breed slower than E.coli so may it will be interesting to see in the future if we will see them self destruct or not.

The Video's were very nice thanks for posting them.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heck_cattle]Heck cattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

It has been very nice talking to you all and I do hope that you all stay happy healthy and wise.

Moe

Last edited:
Nothing is "proven" in science. That said, it's common to say "proven" in place of "tons of evidence".

That said, no. Relativity, while a great step up from Newton's gravity, is still not it. It's macroscopic and nobody has yet fit it in with microscopic phenomena.

It is rather a twisting of the concept of science to suit your own religious agenda.

Truth is evidence independent. Evidence is for a human brain (or rather human belief system) to recognise a truth. There's always a gap between what's inside a human's brain (belief system) and what the truth itself is. When the gap is reduced to 0, our brain hits a truth, yet we can never be sure about if it's truly a 0. That's where the Matrix advocate is coming from.

Because each and every human belief system is unique, that's why what's evident to someone may not be evident enough to another.

Science is a bit special. Science is about the discovery of existing natural rules. These natural rules can predict precisely for your brain (belief system) to reckon them as the truth. For example, water will decompose into oxygen and hydrogen. You can use this rule to predict that water everywhere inside this universe will decompose so. Before each and every experiment you can expect that the result is so, or to say that no experimental results can falsify your prediction, no experiments can falsify this rule.

As a result, the so-called empirical evidence is actually an imaginary evidence which possesses the effect of fooling a certain mass of people's belief systems to belief in something is a truth.

Last edited:
That have arisen after about 3.5 billion of years of evolution.

That is about how many seconds there are in 1,000 years.

Thank you to the person who PMed me with this error. I shifted a decimal point.

It's closer to 100 years (about 110).

However, in the future, please make a correction of something that I say public and in thread. I have no problem admitting when I make an error.

The gods know this isn't the first time, and probably won't be the last...

Last edited:
I think the most telling part of this debate comes when you ask questions. The side that refuses to answer or simply calls you a loony for believing what you believe, in my opinion, usually is weaker.

On that note, here are my questions that still remain unanswered for the most part:

1. How and why did and would sex evolve in a survival of the fittest system? If there were only women in the world, the human race would die out. Something as complex as the female and male sex organs could not evolve over night, or even within 100 years. Some have said that we all started out a-sexual, but then how and why would sexual organs that are incompatible within genders evolve? And how genetically would the parent DNA be able to separate out into male and female? I call this my "where did Cain get his wife" question for evolution.

2. Within the last 10,000 years we have gone from caves to space travel, rock etchings to computers, sticks and stones to robots and microchips. What were we doing for the first 990,000 years of human existence?

3. How did reproducing living cells evolve from rock? If you put a dead piece of rock in a vacuum, is there any serious scientists who would hypothesize that even in a trillion years a human would come out of it?

4. Speaking of vacuums, where did matter come from? If you had a true vacuum, with absolutely no outside influence, is there any serious scientist would hypothesize that given a trillion years that empty vacuum would develop into a universe?

Nevermind all the probabilities and better chances that a million monkeys on typewriters would type Genesis 1:1 or playing a slot machine five miles long and winning. What about the possibilities? Are any of these things possible? Could humans be stagnant in development for 990,000 years and then suddenly accomplish what we have in 10,000? Would sex actually evolve from a-sexual, self-reproducing beings within one generation? Can life come from dead matter? Can matter appear out of nowhere?

Sounds like atheistic evolutionists have more faith than I do.

Some say that religion has no place in scientific debate, and to a certain extent I concede that point. Much of religion is based on emotion. However, if a God who is powerful enough to fit the answer to these four questions exists, wouldn't it be unscientific to create an entire theory based on there being no supernatural influence in our origins? If the equation is X + 2 = 3 and you don't believe in the number 1, then you better have a pretty good alternative theory. Evolution has a great deal of distance to cover in order to become a viable theory as evidenced by these four simple questions.

I don't claim to have all of the answers to these questions, but I think I can clarify some of them for you

1. Survival of the fittest only applies to situations in which genetic variability can occur. Sex is the most practical way for complex organisms to have genetic variability as yet conceived by nature/God and observed by humans.

Bacteria and other simple organisms have a type of proto-sex (I believe it is called conjugation) by which they share genetic information and then leave the process as two genetically different individuals.

Sex was selected for because it improved the process by which evolution could happen leading to a more rapid selection of "the fittest" traits

In fact the genitalia of humans and other mammals are very complex and not every animal has them; one could possibly even see evidence of evolution by seeing the progressively more complex sexual anatomies of various classes of animals

2. Your time scale is quite off 8000 BC was the end of the ice age and agriculture still had yet to be perfected (it is hypothesized to have been conceptualized around 10000 BC) So we were long out of caves. What was going on before then was the invention of the tool and fire and tribal hierarchies. Furthermore, this is in line with theories about the rate of technological advancement. In fact the singularity conspiracy draws from the supported idea that the rate at which technology advances will increase showing an exponential increase in overall technology

3. Yes, there are several- after all, that is essentially what the Earth is, just a big piece of rock floating in a vacuum. I don't know the actual chemical processes that would cause mineral/elemental matter to catalyze into organic matter, but I am convinced that they exist otherwise this whole business would be swiftly disproved

4. Here we somewhat agree, I do believe God created the universe, but I disagree in the formulation of your question. No scientist thinks that even a vacuum existed because that implies dimensionality without matter to fill it. The current theory is that nothing existed before the universe, not even the notion of space.

What theory are you talking about? Please state it.

I actually don't know, I just assumed since you and Cephus always talk about it. I think it's called M-theory or something like that

But besides that, it's just an offshoot of the Big Bang theory which says that nothing existed before the big bang "inside" the "context" of "existence"

Friday said:
Originally Posted by friday
I think the most telling part of this debate comes when you ask questions. The side that refuses to answer or simply calls you a loony for believing what you believe, in my opinion, usually is weaker.

On that note, here are my questions that still remain unanswered for the most part:
This 'Deduction' that because there are unanswered questions, that there must be some god is itself completely Illogical.
We USED to have Moon, Sun, Rain, Thunder, gods and 50,000 others for the same 'reason'.
If you can't explain it YET, it must be God.
You understand, I hope, what faulty reasoning that is.

1. How and why did and would sex evolve in a survival of the fittest system? If there were only women in the world, the human race would die out. Something as complex as the female and male sex organs could not evolve over night, or even within 100 years. Some have said that we all started out a-sexual, but then how and why would sexual organs that are incompatible within genders evolve? And how genetically would the parent DNA be able to separate out into male and female? I call this my "where did Cain get his wife" question for evolution.
Why would a God create Sex?
Far simpler for a creator would have been for a woman merely to ask pray to 'him' directly for a child.
You know, immaculate.
2. Within the last 10,000 years we have gone from caves to space travel, rock etchings to computers, sticks and stones to robots and microchips. What were we doing for the first 990,000 years of human existence?
Well it certainly wasn't anything in Holy Books that enabled these Scientific advances.
May have even been faster without Galileo, Copernicus, etc being Stifled by the Church.

3. How did reproducing living cells evolve from rock? If you put a dead piece of rock in a vacuum, is there any serious scientists who would hypothesize that even in a trillion years a human would come out of it?
Again.. can't we just say we don't know yet (like Lightning 3000 years ago).
Must we say God did it" for anything we can't explain?
4. Speaking of vacuums, where did matter come from? If you had a true vacuum, with absolutely no outside influence, is there any serious scientist would hypothesize that given a trillion years that empty vacuum would develop into a universe?
You're pursing the same fallacy.

Nevermind all the probabilities and better chances that a million monkeys on typewriters would type Genesis 1:1 or playing a slot machine five miles long and winning. What about the possibilities?
???
Some say that religion has no place in scientific debate, and to a certain extent I concede that point. Much of religion is based on emotion. However, if a God who is powerful enough to fit the answer to these four questions exists, wouldn't it be unscientific to create an entire theory based on there being no supernatural influence in our origins? If the equation is X + 2 = 3 and you don't believe in the number 1, then you better have a pretty good alternative theory. Evolution has a great deal of distance to cover in order to become a viable theory as evidenced by these four simple questions.
You barely even touched on 'evolution'!
It has NOT to do with the Origin of matter, scientific advance, or even the origin of life, (that's abiogenesis).
Evolution starts after a life form already exists.
-

Last edited:
I actually don't know, I just assumed since you and Cephus always talk about it. I think it's called M-theory or something like that
M-theory, string theory and other theories within the domain of THEORETICAL PHYSICS have yet to be demonstrated with evidence or experiment that they are true.

They have mathematical backing and conform to what evidence is currently available but they lack backing or experiments to support them. They are good candidates for what could be true but they are not accepted as true by the scientific community until the evidence and experiments validate them.

The Large Hadron Collider is supposed to be capable of providing experiments that will support or contradict some of these theories. (I think... I don't follow theoretical physics that much.)

But besides that, it's just an offshoot of the Big Bang theory which says that nothing existed before the big bang "inside" the "context" of "existence"
I responded because you claimed that nothing came "before" the Big Bang based on current day theoretical physics. This is patently false. (I quote "before" and "prior" because talk of causality and notions of time as we understand them may be nonsensical "before" the Big Bang.) According to these theories "something" or "some things" existed "prior" to the big bang, not nothing as you have claimed.

I responded because you claimed that nothing came "before" the Big Bang based on current day theoretical physics. This is patently false. (I quote "before" and "prior" because talk of causality and notions of time as we understand them may be nonsensical "before" the Big Bang.) According to these theories "something" or "some things" existed "prior" to the big bang, not nothing as you have claimed.

Ah yes, I see the sticking point, I was referring to existence inside the scope of our universe (before said universe's creation) as being theorized to contain nothing, as it was a "container" incapable of "holding" anything as the OP described

Back
Top Bottom