• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bashing Religion

So you did not engage in "veiled personal attacks" on him... instead you engage in "blatant personal attacks"?
I thought you only speak against babies. I'm glad you attack adults at times too. Spare the babies from your hatred. They are innocent to your bitterness.

I thought you only speak against babies. I'm glad you attack adults at times too.

Huh? Are you able to focus? You said that you did not make veiled attacks against him and in that very same post you made blatant personal attacks against him

Spare the babies from your hatred.

What are you flailing about with now? I have children.

They are innocent to your bitterness.

More personal attacks? Are you not religious and full of love for your fellow man?

You're wrong because you lie. People like you made more of a bigger deal out of that walk across the street than anybody. I think he did it just to piss you off. That's one thing he excels at: trolling the left.

Forgive me for going back to the issue of Trump violently clearing Lafayette Park of peaceful protesters and Australian journalists so that he could stage his photo opportunity awkwardly holding The Bible as if it were a weight he was lifting. I am new here and I do not know all the players about whom you are speaking. I am, however, outraged at Trump. My outrage is rooted more in an ingrained sense of my rights as an American being trampled by what Trump, Barr, et al did than by Trump's attempted use of religion. That "walk across the park" was a very, very big deal because it violated many laws and many norms and Trump is not above the law. Whenever he gets away with an illegal act, it reinforces his sense that he can get away with more.

You're wrong because you lie. People like you made more of a bigger deal out of that walk across the street than anybody. I think he did it just to piss you off. That's one thing he excels at: trolling the left.

There was no lie. I’m sure you know that it’s your great hero Trump who lies. I don’t keep close track. I imagine it’s up to 17,000 or 18,000 by now in just four years.
So you think that the job of a president is trolling instead of doing his job? I guess that’s so, because he has basically screwed up everything he has touched. 180,000 dead due to the CORONA virus. Thank you so much, Mr Trump.

How do you like living in Thailand? I was stationed at Nakhon Phanom during the Vietnam War and I really like the pleasant attitude and openness of so many of the Thai people. Perhaps it has to do with the Buddhism that many of them practice.

Hi Watsup,

I love living in Thailand. Things have changed dramatically since those days. I actually live just a few kilometers from the U-Tapao Airport. One of the bases where the B52's took of for raids on Vietnam. Pattaya is on the other side with some 30km to go and i stay maybe 3km east of the airport. Very nice area close to the beach.

The Buddhist mentality makes it a pretty relaxed place indeed. Or at least it plays a big part in there life.

The Thai people are great people. But the cultural differences are big and it takes time to start understanding the culture. And a lot of people never understand that.

15 years and counting.

Joey

Forgive me for going back to the issue of Trump violently clearing Lafayette Park of peaceful protesters and Australian journalists so that he could stage his photo opportunity awkwardly holding The Bible as if it were a weight he was lifting. I am new here and I do not know all the players about whom you are speaking. I am, however, outraged at Trump. My outrage is rooted more in an ingrained sense of my rights as an American being trampled by what Trump, Barr, et al did than by Trump's attempted use of religion. That "walk across the park" was a very, very big deal because it violated many laws and many norms and Trump is not above the law. Whenever he gets away with an illegal act, it reinforces his sense that he can get away with more.

Then you need to go back to Newfoundland, I am sure you will find it more to your liking, and we will trust law enforcement to enforce our laws, not leftist crybabies.

There was no lie. I’m sure you know that it’s your great hero Trump who lies. I don’t keep close track. I imagine it’s up to 17,000 or 18,000 by now in just four years.
So you think that the job of a president is trolling instead of doing his job? I guess that’s so, because he has basically screwed up everything he has touched. 180,000 dead due to the CORONA virus. Thank you so much, Mr Trump.

There is nothing wrong with the job Trump is doing, and the fact that it has driven you to hysterics is icing on the cake. Thank China for the Corona virus.

In the relatively short time that I have been here, I have noticed that the great majority of the atheists don't spend much time at all bashing religion. Yes, they (we) will sometimes make pointed remarks regarding the existence of god, per se, but mostly overlook participating in discussions in which religion is the primary topic.
Religionists, on the other hand, get almost hateful in the manner in which they go after one another as regards particular religions, particular beliefs, and Bible interpretation. Which religion is true? What particular beliefs make one a Christian? How is this passage or that passage on the Bible correctly interpreted? All that the atheists do is sit back and shake their head that there could be so many differences among those who all label themselves as "Christian".

As for religion in general, I have no big problem with it. If it provides a moral basis for people who participate, so much the better. If it provides charity to fellow humans, good for them. Who knows, I might even be willing to participate in a religion if it didn't have "God" as its center and I didn't have to get up on Sunday morning to go to church. Like Buddhism, for example. But there are not many Buddhists where I live, so just living an ethical life based on Humanist principles is good enough at the present time.

Now if religion is used as an instrument of hate, then it should indeed be condemned. I'm talking about the manner in which Islam is practiced in the Middle East at this point, but it could apply to any act of violence committed against another human being based on religion.

So Protestants don't think that Catholics represent true Christianity and vice-verse, and lots of Protestant sects have big differences in many areas from other Protestant Sects, and there is the Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church, and Shiites and Sunni Moslems who hate one another to the point of waging war and killing one another, and Orthodox and Hasidic and "regular" Jews, plus all those other various religions like Hindu and Baha'i and Eastern Religions such as Tao, etc. I swear, it's enough to make your head spin. Or at least to wonder why God can't somehow allow people to come together of fighting over him with both words and sometimes fists and armament.

opposite in my experience

Hi Watsup,

I love living in Thailand. Things have changed dramatically since those days. I actually live just a few kilometers from the U-Tapao Airport. One of the bases where the B52's took of for raids on Vietnam. Pattaya is on the other side with some 30km to go and i stay maybe 3km east of the airport. Very nice area close to the beach.

The Buddhist mentality makes it a pretty relaxed place indeed. Or at least it plays a big part in there life.

The Thai people are great people. But the cultural differences are big and it takes time to start understanding the culture. And a lot of people never understand that.

15 years and counting.

Joey

Sounds good!

The Bahai would be fine, if it was not for one thing: They do not allow wine.
One big drawback!
What? When I looked at the during my 'Latent Catholic' phase, I never noticed! Oh well, guess I'll file them with LDS! Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with the job Trump is doing, and the fact that it has driven you to hysterics is icing on the cake. Thank China for the Corona virus.

I wasn't aware that Trump was actually doing the job he was elected to do. He mainly does a sales job on things he never delivers on. Just like he did in all his personal business dealings.

I wasn't aware that Trump was actually doing the job he was elected to do. He mainly does a sales job on things he never delivers on. Just like he did in all his personal business dealings.

Those are lies, how about spelling it out instead of telling vague lies so we can pick you apart?

Those are lies, how about spelling it out instead of telling vague lies so we can pick you apart?

Trump sucks. All he has delivered is BS, hyperbole, and insults. Where exactly are the beautiful wall and beautiful health care plan? All he has tried to do is to undo things that Obama did. Trump has had no original ideas and has done nothing positive. He is the worst president ever. He should have a plaque on his desk reading "The buck passes here".

What? When I looked at the during my 'Latent Catholic' phase, I never noticed!

I did not notice myself - but I asked them when I visited the Bahai centre hier in Germany.

I did not notice myself - but I asked them when I visited the Bahai centre hier in Germany.
Baha'is are surprisingly strict for a new "religion". They pretend to respect all religions and to accept them, but in reality they distort all scriptures to make them fit. They pretend to believe in the Bible and the Qur'an even though the two contradict innumerable times. The good thing is, despite the corruption they too reject homosexual behaviour.

I liked your final paragraph. If I wasn't born into Roman Catholicism, and used my intellect purely, I doubt I'd ever become a member of organized religion - due to the things you brought-up in that paragraph.

Actually. I might take that back. There's a pretty cool religion called 'B'hai'. They basically believe all the paternals of the major religions - Jesus, Abraham, Muhammad, etc. - are all prophets of the same deity. We just are humanly incapable of understanding & perceiving that deity. It's basically an 'umbrella' religion that attempts to encompass all other religions, and as such one can keep their other formal religion and still become a B'hai. As such, they're very diverse here in the States, and very open minded & tolerant of other faiths. It's more of a 'brotherhood of man', which I find appealing.

Yes I have heard of the Baha’is as well. If I had to pick one religion, that would be it.

Baha'is are surprisingly strict for a new "religion". They pretend to respect all religions and to accept them, but in reality they distort all scriptures to make them fit. They pretend to believe in the Bible and the Qur'an even though the two contradict innumerable times. The good thing is, despite the corruption they too reject homosexual behaviour.

It’s the spirit that counts. Basically they are saying stop letting dogma get in the way of world peace and brotherhood. So who cares how many times you want to pray or how you want to dress? It’s not reason not to see you as a fellow human being. We could use more if that kind of thinking in the world.

It’s the spirit that counts. Basically they are saying stop letting dogma get in the way of world peace and brotherhood. So who cares how many times you want to pray or how you want to dress? It’s not reason not to see you as a fellow human being. We could use more if that kind of thinking in the world.
like I said, they're surprisingly strict.
Obligatory Bahaʼi prayers - Wikipedia

Trump sucks. All he has delivered is BS, hyperbole, and insults. Where exactly are the beautiful wall and beautiful health care plan? All he has tried to do is to undo things that Obama did. Trump has had no original ideas and has done nothing positive. He is the worst president ever. He should have a plaque on his desk reading "The buck passes here".

So ya got nothing but lies. There is a wall if you cared enough to look, and Obamacare still exists if you can afford it, don't say we didn't warn you.

It was only a matter of time. I wish these leftists would keep church and state separate.

Hi It's just me,

Sorry, but this is one of the weirdest posts I have read. Republican and conservative go hand in hand. And this results in many conservative people being conservative because of their religion. Because the society changes fast and the very nature of being conservative is holding on to what you have and reject changes. The church is a master in keeping things the way they are, and this is what is often preached as well. I mean they are still preaching things that science has proven wrong ages ago. It took 350 years (YES 350 YEARS!!) for the church to admit that Galileo was actually right and that the earth is indeed round. Something that the Greeks, as I mentioned in an earlier post, had figured out in 500BC and actually calculated the circumference of the earth in about 250BC.

So how you can justify a statement as the one you made puzzles me.

Joey

Last edited:
Hi It's just me,

Sorry, but this is one of the weirdest posts I have read. Republican and conservative go hand in hand. And this results in many conservative people being conservative because of their religion. Because the society changes fast and the very nature of being conservative is holding on to what you have and reject changes. The church is a master in keeping things the way they are. I mean they are still preaching things that science has proven wrong ages ago. I believe that the catholic church has still not unequivocally stated that the earth is round!

So how you can justify a statement as the one you made puzzles me.

Joey
How does being republican result in "Conservative people being Conservative because of their religion"? What kind of things does the church preach that science has proven wrong? The earth is not round.

Back
Top Bottom