• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baseball 2012 Thread

Because two of my teams dominated Philly

PhiLOLdelphia.jpg

Indeed, the Texas Rangers are a huge powerhouse this year.

They are the best team in the game.

My Tigers are hugely disappointing. All those bats paid all that money and their run production is anemic. Pitiful.

They are the best team in the game.

My Tigers are hugely disappointing. All those bats paid all that money and their run production is anemic. Pitiful.

What makes you think they are the best team in the game?

What makes you think they are the best team in the game?

Texas - they have it all - everything they had last year plus improvements in pitching with the fine addition of Darvish who is very impressive. I watched them two weeks ago against my Tigers and they clearly were the better team.

Last edited:
Texas - they have it all - everything they had last year plus improvements in pitching. I watched them two weeks ago against my Tigers and they clearly were athe better team.

Well, if they beat the Tigers... :rofl

Hamilton with 2 more... only the third player since 1918 to have 17 homers in his teams first 33 games.

He also missed 3 of those 33 games with back issues.

Hamilton with 2 more... only the third player since 1918 to have 17 homers in his teams first 33 games.

He also missed 3 of those 33 games with back issues.

The only reason I dont see Hamilton not getting a nice big contract is the possible unknown damage his previous addictions has done on his body. Other than that, the guy is a ****ing beast!

Looks like Texas once again loading up on pitching by getting Oswalt. I think they will go to the WS again

The Buffalo Bills of baseball.

With the MLB Draft being held tonight I have to say I hate the current CBA.

Apparently it was more than that.
It was a perfect game, of which only 21 had been thrown prior to Matt Cain's. Add to that, it was probably one of the best pitching performances in quite some time.

On that note, it is amazing just how quickly pitching became dominant over the past three years or so. Obviously more strenuous steroid/PED testing plays a large role in that, but then there are other factors like increased scouting information and analysis, better training regimens, etc... It will be hard to adjust from the strong offenses I watched when growing up, but this looks to become an even better era for baseball.

It was a perfect game, of which only 21 had been thrown prior to Matt Cain's. Add to that, it was probably one of the best pitching performances in quite some time.

On that note, it is amazing just how quickly pitching became dominant over the past three years or so. Obviously more strenuous steroid/PED testing plays a large role in that, but then there are other factors like increased scouting information and analysis, better training regimens, etc... It will be hard to adjust from the strong offenses I watched when growing up, but this looks to become an even better era for baseball.
I think it is more scouting than PED enforcement. The best line I ever heard is "steroids don't improve your eyes", meaning you have to have the right timing and eye on the ball to make contact, though PEDs could make contact a bit more potent.

I think it is more scouting than PED enforcement. The best line I ever heard is "steroids don't improve your eyes", meaning you have to have the right timing and eye on the ball to make contact, though PEDs could make contact a bit more potent.
To a certain degree I do agree with you that steroids only play a part in the new dominance of pitching. As you said, it takes other skills that steroids do not help you with in order to be a successful hitter. There are still plenty of great hitters in the league today, but I do not think you will ever see a hitter with offensive numbers that come close to those put up during the late 1990s/early 2000s. That is where I think steroids as an easy way to gain that extra power comes into effect.

The more I think about it, the more I do think that the development and proliferation of information of every variety, whether scouting, statistics, etc... plays a much greater role. Even as a fan, sites such as Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, and Baseball-Reference are troves of useful information that can help anybody better understand the intricacies of the game. The stats those sites have is, I imagine, just the tip of the iceberg for teams that actually use advanced statistics. The use of defensive shifts this season is just one example of how scouting and data collection has begun to change the game.

This most likely is not going to last forever. Pitchers have utilized scouting and statistics to a far greater than hitters have up to this point. Once offensive players learn to do the same and make the necessary adjustments, then hitters will have an advantage. It is all just part of the self-correcting nature of the game.

To a certain degree I do agree with you that steroids only play a part in the new dominance of pitching. As you said, it takes other skills that steroids do not help you with in order to be a successful hitter. There are still plenty of great hitters in the league today, but I do not think you will ever see a hitter with offensive numbers that come close to those put up during the late 1990s/early 2000s. That is where I think steroids as an easy way to gain that extra power comes into effect.

The more I think about it, the more I do think that the development and proliferation of information of every variety, whether scouting, statistics, etc... plays a much greater role. Even as a fan, sites such as Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, and Baseball-Reference are troves of useful information that can help anybody better understand the intricacies of the game. The stats those sites have is, I imagine, just the tip of the iceberg for teams that actually use advanced statistics. The use of defensive shifts this season is just one example of how scouting and data collection has begun to change the game.

This most likely is not going to last forever. Pitchers have utilized scouting and statistics to a far greater than hitters have up to this point. Once offensive players learn to do the same and make the necessary adjustments, then hitters will have an advantage. It is all just part of the self-correcting nature of the game.
Absolutely right. Baseball is a very dynamic game with an ever changing learning curve, I think there will be a couple of young players today that will threaten the records when their careers are over. Jesus Montero, who I think the Yankees were incompetent for trading to the Mariners has a real chance of being a lethal hitter by the time he gets to the middle of his career, and there are a couple of other young phenoms as well, there's the Bryce kid with the Washington Nationals, and a couple of others I can't think of currently.

In other news, I completely screwed the pooch by not picking Trout as my ROY. Had no idea he would be called up this early and absolutely dominate. Although to my credit I did predict he would be a better big leaguer than Harper. Kid's an absolute stud.

In other news, I completely screwed the pooch by not picking Trout as my ROY. Had no idea he would be called up this early and absolutely dominate. Although to my credit I did predict he would be a better big leaguer than Harper. Kid's an absolute stud.
I've noticed that the last couple of draft classes were phenom heavy. The next decade of baseball should be pretty solid if these kids stay healthy and perform to expectations. Many times a player will spend quite a few years in the farm system before call up and this last couple of years we've seen early twenties players called up and perform admirably. Should be an interesting future.

It really should not have been all that surprising the Angels called him up as early as they did. Last year they called him up shortly after the All-Star Break, and all things considered, he held his own for being so young. After having nothing to prove at AAA, an early call-up makes sense. The only thing that should have given the Angels pause were the free agency implications that his early call up will lead to.

It also is too soon to be declaring he is a better player than Bryce Harper. Obviously, Trout is having a better season up to this point, but I have reservations about whether or not Trout will continue to put the numbers that he is. At some point his BABIP will fall to within a reasonable range, and that should bring his slash line closer to Harper's. Not to mention that Harper is having a better season than Trout did at the same age.

I am not disputing that Mike Trout is an elite talent, only that it is far too early to declare one is a better player than the other. I imagine this is a debate that baseball fans will be having so long as both players are in the league.

Hell yeah bullpen problems again.
But the New York Mess may have the worst bullpen problem of them all, nothing but left handers. They've got one of the worst hold ratings in the MLB right now.

But the New York Mess may have the worst bullpen problem of them all, nothing but left handers. They've got one of the worst hold ratings in the MLB right now.

When Youk was tried I died inside.

Hell yeah bullpen problems again.

I don't think your bullpen has the problems ours does.

Hell I don't think your starting lineup has the problem ours does either.

Back
Top Bottom