• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Barr resigns

ataraxia

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
There is so much chaos and commotion in the Trump administration that this may have gone unheeded: William Barr has resigned with barely a month left of the administration.

As the president had continued to pressure the attorney general William Barr to call into question the election despite the lack of any evidence, Barr had refused to do so. This had angered the president, who began publicly insulting, humiliating, and undermining him. His resignation was inevitable because he was trying to at least keep some dignity in his job, and not willing to sacrifice all American democracy to sycophancy.

But before anyone says “good riddance”, remember this means Trump can now appoint an “acting” attorney general, who will be a true sycophant and act like his new personal lawyer Michael Cohen in the whitehouse. There can be all sorts of unchecked behavior and damage done in the last monthof the Trump administration, which may take years to undo.

“For much of the last two years, Bill Barr was regarded as Donald Trump's most-valued wingman.

The attorney general enabled the President's darkest instincts on the possibility of vote fraud in mail-in ballots. He compared lockdown orders as a result of the coronavirus pandemic to slavery. He tried to have the Justice Department take over the President's defense in a defamation suit filed against Trump...

While there's no doubt that Barr, on a number of occasions, made himself a willing participant in Trump's efforts to turn the Justice Department into his own private score-settling agency, there's been several examples of late in which Barr bucked the President's wishes in critical moments.

* According to The Wall Street Journal, Barr went out of his way this past fall to ensure that the federal investigation into Hunter Biden's financial dealings never went public in the course of a presidential campaign in which Trump sought to make the son of his Democratic opponent a major issue.

* Earlier this month, Barr directly contradicted Trump's repeated claims that there was widespread voter fraud in the presidential election. "To date, we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election," Barr told the Associated Press in an interview.”
(Cont’d)

Last edited:
“Those twin moves suggest that, while he was willing to bend to Trump's will, Barr's ultimate loyalty -- at least in these instances -- was with the rule of law.

Which, of course, made Trump angry. And made him want to get rid of Barr. Which, effectively, he did on Monday night -- as Barr's resignation is rightly understood as one forced by the President's repeated public attacks on him. (Don't forget: Trump suggested,in an interview with Fox's Maria Bartiromo that both the FBI and Department of Justice might be involved in the attempt to keep him from winning. He offered no proof of this massive claim.

All of which begs this question: If Barr wasn't loyal enough to Trump or willing to do everything the President asked of him, what will the post-Barr DOJ look like for the final weeks of the Trump presidency?

In announcing Barr's resignation, the President also said that Deputy Attorney General Jeff Rosen would serve as the acting attorney general -- although he did not specify whether Rosen would hold that job for the remainder of Trump's term.

Trump has previously expressed his preference for "acting" officials in key roles. "I like acting because I can move so quickly," he said in 2019. "it gives me more flexibility."

It also gives him more control over the broader government apparatus as he can place unquestioning loyalists in posts without having to worry about those people being confirmed by the Senate.

(Cont’d)

Last edited:
“What that means for the DOJ is that Trump is very likely to enjoy something close to unfettered control over the department between now and January 20.
That could mean the appointment of a special counsel to ensure the Hunter Biden investigation continues beyond the Trump presidency.
It could mean increased pressure on special counsel John Durham, who is investigating the origins of the Russia counter-intelligence probe in 2016, to announce his findings and/or bring charges.

Or 1,001 other things that Trump has unsuccessfully pushed the Justice Department to look into -- virtually every one of them involving his political enemies -- over his four years in office.

Most presidents before Trump understood that while the attorney general -- and the wider Justice Department -- work for him, that it was important for the rule of law to ensure that the AG had significant autonomy. Trump never seemed to understand that need for independence. And now, with Barr gone, the last major obstacle to him doing (or at least trying to do) whatever he wants is now gone.”

———————

Buckle up America, it’s going to be a tough final month with this administration; as you reel from the pandemic, you have other problems to be dealing with; namely a president whose priority is undermining the rule of law and sowing further chaos and confusion.

Last edited:
There is so much chaos and commotion in the Trump administration that this may have gone unheeded: William Barr has resigned with barely a month left of the administration.

As the president had continued to pressure the attorney general William Barr to call into question the election despite the lack of any evidence, Barr had refused to do so. This had angered the president, who began publicly insulting, humiliating, and undermining him. His resignation was inevitable because he was trying to at least keep some dignity in his job, and not willing to sacrifice all American democracy to sycophancy.

But before anyone says “good riddance”, remember this means Trump can now appoint an “acting” attorney general, who will be a true sycophant and act like his new personal lawyer Michael Cohen in the whitehouse. There can be all sorts of unchecked behavior and damage done in the last monthof the Trump administration, which may take years to undo.
Time to start calling democrats to tell them to stop sitting idly by and start putting an end to this mess. Start prosecuting these people.

Time to start calling democrats to tell them to stop sitting idly by and start putting an end to this mess. Start prosecuting these people.

I think the dems are eager to put this all behind them and “heal” the nation. But Trump and his supporters are absolutely shameless and just don't know when to stop. The only language they may understand is the full force of the law.

I think the dems are eager to put this all behind them and “heal” the nation. But Trump and his supporters are absolutely shameless and just don't know when to stop. The only language they may understand is the full force of the law.
There is no healing this nation.

Another side of the Trump pathology/psychopathy. He uses people up and then disposes of them. Keeps pushing even the most corrupt, like AG Barr, beyond lines they would otherwise never cross until finally even the worst of them are pushed to the brink of a line they refuse to cross. In the case of Barr, Barr warned of election fraud and the danger of mail ballot before the election. After the election, he authorized investigation of "substantial allegation" of voter fraud. Upon completion of the investigation, Barr said no widespread voter fraud was found that would change the election result. Be mindful that Barr did not say there was no fraud. By what Barr said, it could be argued there may have been widespread voter fraud. It was just not enough to overturn the election result. The line Barr refused to step over that Trump pushed him to was fraudulently making up that there was such fraud as to overturn the election and that is what had Trump dispose of Barr. That is what Trump does. It's His nature. Trump is all about destruction and, as sister Mary Trump said, sadism.

Cross posting this from the other thread........my take on Barr.

------------------------------------------------

Bill Barr is as low as they get in my books but I think he honestly believes in the absolute power of the Presidency. He thinks that power is bestowed upon the President in the Constitution. I think his nauseating resignation letter bears that out. His actions seem more about that belief than about any personal feelings for Trump. I also think it is his strong belief in the Constitution, at least his interpretation of it, that would not allow him to defend or permit any actions or words that attacked the democratic election process specifically the Hunter investigation and voter fraud.

Don't get me wrong, I loathe the man and the damage he has done to the traditional independence of the DOJ by politizing it but I think there is a weird logic driving him NOT a devotion to Trump the man. Good riddance but I worry what the next month may bring, maybe we will see Rudy as AG !

Cross posting this from the other thread........my take on Barr.

------------------------------------------------

Bill Barr is as low as they get in my books but I think he honestly believes in the absolute power of the Presidency. He thinks that power is bestowed upon the President in the Constitution. I think his nauseating resignation letter bears that out. His actions seem more about that belief than about any personal feelings for Trump. I also think it is his strong belief in the Constitution, at least his interpretation of it, that would not allow him to defend or permit any actions or words that attacked the democratic election process specifically the Hunter investigation and voter fraud.

Don't get me wrong, I loathe the man and the damage he has done to the traditional independence of the DOJ by politizing it but I think there is a weird logic driving him NOT a devotion to Trump the man. Good riddance but I worry what the next month may bring, maybe we will see Rudy as AG !

Barr knew that he could not prove fraud by opinion but only by evidence, which he didn't have. Therefore, Barr would have to fabricate evidence of fraud and thus commit fraud in a vain-enabling of Trump attempt to support that there was evidence to overturn the election. Barr was not willing to commit what was an indisputable crime he could not escape.

I give Barr no credit for anything. His warped belief in a democratic system that the POTUS power is absolute is to make the prez a king, dictator, emperor and thus be obsessively devoted to the man, not the constitution. If Barr was devoted to the constitution and not the man, he would not have carried out his interpretation that the power of the president is absolute.

The Biden administration's AG pick should be a very busy prosecutor.

The Biden administration's AG pick should be a very busy prosecutor.

Maybe. I don't get that Biden has much appetite for going after people. That, I believe, he will relate to his AG.

Maybe. I don't get that Biden has much appetite for going after people. That, I believe, he will relate to his AG.
I know Biden wants to stay out of it, but something needs to be done about such blatant corruption and damage to the system, because no deterrent is exactly that.

Given your assessment of the situation post departure, do you think this implies cooperation between Trump and Barr or an adversarial relationship?

Given your assessment of the situation post departure, do you think this implies cooperation between Trump and Barr or an adversarial relationship?

I think Barr is just realizing he can no longer keep pushing for unlimited power for a president with no interest in the rule of law or the welfare of the country over his personal ambitions.

I think Barr is just realizing he can no longer keep pushing for unlimited power for a president with no interest in the rule of law or the welfare of the country over his personal ambitions.

In what way and by what action did Barr ever do what you charge?

I know Biden wants to stay out of it, but something needs to be done about such blatant corruption and damage to the system, because no deterrent is exactly that.

The more fouls you commit, the more fouls you get away with. The more drugs caught crossing into our country, the more drugs that are getting into our country. The more crimes an admin commits, the more crimes they will get away with. This admin is already letting a whole slew of people get away with crimes through pardons, let alone the number who will slip through the cracks because you've only got so many investigators and prosecutors to stomp on the great many cockroaches once the search light turns on and they start to scurry.

The more fouls you commit, the more fouls you get away with. The more drugs caught crossing into our country, the more drugs that are getting into our country. The more crimes an admin commits, the more crimes they will get away with. This admin is already letting a whole slew of people get away with crimes through pardons, let alone the number who will slip through the cracks because you've only got so many investigators and prosecutors to stomp on the great many cockroaches once the search light turns on and they start to scurry.
Imagine what QAnon is going to put forward under verge large support for the 2024 election. We may have the first openly insane candidate running for president.

I believe this time healing the nation needs to be a surgery to remove the cancer allowed to go stage 4.... ✌

Imagine what QAnon is going to put forward under verge large support for the 2024 election. We may have the first openly insane candidate running for president.

With Proud Boys as their Secret Service (SS).

In what way and by what action did Barr ever do what you charge?
It'll take 5000 words to describe all that. Just take us at our word. It'll be in the history books soon enough.

The most ethical thing he has done.

It'll take 5000 words to describe all that. Just take us at our word. It'll be in the history books soon enough.

So, then, like almost everything alleged to be true by the TDS victims, this also is a fantasy.

It's so sad...

Back
Top Bottom