• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Barr: It would be a crime for president to pardon someone in exchange for their silence

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...a-crime-if-a-president-pardoned-individual-in

William Barr, President Trump's nominee to serve as attorney general, said on Tuesday that it would be illegal for a U.S. president to pardon an individual if that person agreed not to incriminate the commander in chief in a criminal offense.

"Do you believe a president could lawfully issue a pardon in exchange for the recipient's promise not incriminate him?" Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) asked Barr during his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"No, that would be a crime," Barr said.
========================================
I'm sure this option has either crossed Trump's mind or been discussed among his legal defense team.

That's great, but it would likely require an explicit quid pro quo. A link and a nod or a lawyer to lawyer confab would not cut it.

That's great, but it would likely require an explicit quid pro quo. A link and a nod or a lawyer to lawyer confab would not cut it.

Maybe. But what would the odds be that Trump just happens to pardon someone that could incriminate him in this investigation with no ulterior motive? It might be possible but so unlikely as to put it outside the realm of “reasonable doubt”.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...a-crime-if-a-president-pardoned-individual-in

William Barr, President Trump's nominee to serve as attorney general, said on Tuesday that it would be illegal for a U.S. president to pardon an individual if that person agreed not to incriminate the commander in chief in a criminal offense.

"Do you believe a president could lawfully issue a pardon in exchange for the recipient's promise not incriminate him?" Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) asked Barr during his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

I'm sure this option has either crossed Trump's mind or been discussed among his legal defense team.

Barr is pooping all over the President.

Has anyone else notice the startling difference between how Barr is comporting himself and the way he speaks and how Kavanaugh did?

But not a crime to jail reporters he doesn't like.

Based on his intentionally vague answer to Amy Klobuchar, I cannot come to any other conclusion, even though it would be possible to do so under other circumstances. The law already provides for actionable consequences when members of the press violate restrictions on national security and classified information, thus there is no need for an AG to make statements which indicate that he has additional plans to enhance such actions based on ideas which cross over into 1A suppression of the press.

Given the vagueness of his answer, one does not know how far he intends to go.

Yes, Barr is giving good answers.

I hope he has principles, and stands by these answers. I don't know a lot about Barr, but from what little I have seen, he seems to be OK.

I hope he has principles, and stands by these answers. I don't know a lot about Barr, but from what little I have seen, he seems to be OK.

I agree. I watched enough of the judiciary hearings today to see him as an honest man. No reading on my Deceit Detector.

Yeah, this whole confirmation is looking bad for Barr.

He'll be easily confirmed, but Trump might just pull his nomination for several of the answers.

"That's not my Roy Cohn!"

Yes and remaining silent is an explicit quid pro quo.

Ok but...Barr suggests Mueller’s long-awaited report might not be made public.

I ask you why am I not surprised ?

I think this in the right's (GOP) DNA...cover-up ? There is no other reason to keep Mueller's report classified.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ef28312c8b9_story.html?utm_term=.5b11eb6b230d

Oh anyone who chooses to work for Trump is automatically suspicious in my Opinion, he could be lying to everybody like a snake, but I'm enjoying what he is doing to the President currently nonetheless.

Ok but...Barr suggests Mueller’s long-awaited report might not be made public.

I ask you why am I not surprised ?

I think this in the right's (GOP) DNA...cover-up ? There is no other reason to keep Mueller's report classified.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ef28312c8b9_story.html?utm_term=.5b11eb6b230d

I'm starting to think the GOP is trying to corner Trump. McConnell's giving him the rope to hang himself. They're signalling to him they'll install yes-men (Kavanaugh, Barr) but these guys are turning out to be loyal to the country, or at least the party rather than Trump. These guys are being installed as checks on him. Maybe they even want him to order Barr to fire Mueller as an excuse to remove him.

Has anyone else notice the startling difference between how Barr is comporting himself and the way he speaks and how Kavanaugh did?

Barr hasn't been falsely accused of sexual assault...yet.

I hope he has principles too; and corrects any impropriety he discovers regarding Mueller's investigation. Including filing charges for crimes committed by Mueller's team.

I hope he has principles too; and corrects any impropriety he discovers regarding Mueller's investigation. Including filing charges for crimes committed by Mueller's team.

giphy.gif

Did anyone ask Barr about Uranium 1 today?

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1085301461565825024

Peter Baker@peterbakernyt

Questions have been raised about what Bill Barr told us for a story in 2017. Here is his full email from then responding to our request for comment. We're grateful he replied and hope this clarifies any confusion.

Dw_D7RNWoAYdd2B.jpg

2:23 PM - 15 Jan 2019

Are you saying that misconduct on the part of the Mueller team should be ignored?

What particular misconduct would that be?

Back
Top Bottom