• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Barr accuses Justice Department of headhunting and meddling with politics

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Oh boy...

Attorney General William P. Barr delivered a scathing critique of his own Justice Department on Wednesday night, insisting on his absolute authority to overrule career staffers, who he said too often injected themselves into politics and went “headhunting” for high-profile targets.

Speaking at an event hosted by Hillsdale College, a school with deep ties to conservative politics, Barr directly addressed the criticism that has been building for months inside the department toward his heavy hand in politically sensitive cases, particularly those involving associates of President Trump.

“What exactly am I interfering with?” he asked. “Under the law, all prosecutorial power is invested in the attorney general.”

Barr’s comments were remarkable in that the head of the Justice Department catalogued all of the ways in which he thought his agency had gone astray over the years, and in its current formulation harms the body politic. Barr has drawn considerable criticism for intervening in criminal cases in ways that help benefit the president’s friends.

The attorney general said it was he, not career officials, who has the ultimate authority to decide how cases should be handled, and he derided less-experienced, less-senior bureaucrats who current and former prosecutors have long insisted should be left to handle their cases free from interference from political appointees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...86dac4-f887-11ea-a275-1a2c2d36e1f1_story.html

Let me put it bluntly: Barr is out of his bloody mind. His word is not the law and the notion he should interfere in every case taken by the Justice department is so insane it sounds like something out of judge dread.

The unitary executive theory needs to be discredited and Barr’s vision of how the justice department operates needs to be stopped.

Oh boy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...86dac4-f887-11ea-a275-1a2c2d36e1f1_story.html

Let me put it bluntly: Barr is out of his bloody mind. His word is not the law and the notion he should interfere in every case taken by the Justice department is so insane it sounds like something out of judge dread.

The unitary executive theory needs to be discredited and Barr’s vision of how the justice department operates needs to be stopped.
Do you want everyone held to the strictest standards of the law or only people associated with Trump?
I am also curious if you think that its the responsibility of the AG to supervise the depts use of prosecutional discretion?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oh boy...

Chubby man is a wannabe dictator like his ignorant boss.

Oh boy...

Barr is a mafai lawyer.

Chubby man is a wannabe dictator like his ignorant boss.

Barr is sloppy, Trump said that NSA McMaster looked like “ a beer salesman!”

AB6AA933-3E6F-41E1-ABD0-EC1B54D137AD.jpg

That tie is nearly horizontal!

Next week Barr will want medical leave.......

Oh boy...

And not a peep out of the libs when Holder was ignoring the law. I don't see where the libs know what they want.

And not a peep out of the libs when Holder was ignoring the law. I don't see where the libs know what they want.

Where did Holder ever say anything as BS as this?

“What exactly am I interfering with?” he asked. “Under the law, all prosecutorial power is invested in the attorney general.”

The attorney general said it was he, not career officials, who has the ultimate authority to decide how cases should be handled, and he derided less-experienced, less-senior bureaucrats who current and former prosecutors have long insisted should be left to handle their cases free from interference from political appointees.

Cite your source if you have one.

Do you want everyone held to the strictest standards of the law or only people associated with Trump?
I am also curious if you think that its the responsibility of the AG to supervise the depts use of prosecutional discretion?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

An all-powerful AG is certainly an interesting assertion and, indeed, if Barr insists that all prosecutorial power resides solely with him then I’m looking forward to the evidence that he involves himself in all cases and not just those involving a Trump associate.

Where did Holder ever say anything as BS as this?

Cite your source if you have one.

Irrelevant, my question was why didn't you call Holder out? and you ignored it to chase your own tail.

What changed?

Someday, people will build doctoral theses and careers studying this ****show. I'm already seeing pieces of it it show up in dystopian fiction.

EXACTLY. Whatabout? Why the reversal of interest?

Not even closely comparable..

You can scream about Holder but you cannot find any case of Holder or any other AG intervening when Obama's personal friends and allies were under investigation. If anything, Comey was left free to make a damaging to Hillary statement right before the election.

I am asking do you have an exact quotation.

Cite your source or back up my claim.

Stop trying to change the discussion. I have no intention of giving you ANY quotation. I asked you a question, and you dodged it.

Not even closely comparable..

You can scream about Holder but you cannot find any case of Holder or any other AG intervening when Obama's personal friends and allies were under investigation. If anything, Comey was left free to make a damaging to Hillary statement right before the election.

No, Comey unscrewed a situation he caused by popping off, and then had to walk it back. The fact that it damaged Hilarity, if it did, is irrelevant.

You don't seem to hold liberal hacks to the same standard you hold conservative hacks...

Back
Top Bottom