• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Barr accuses Justice Department of headhunting and meddling with politics

Stop trying to change the discussion. I have no intention of giving you ANY quotation. I asked you a question, and you dodged it.

This is coming from you who came up with Holder lolol

The question was not dodged by me. You must be confusing with with somebody else. I just explained to you why your question is wrong.

Trump's (current) Fixer

He absolutely refused to enforce the border security laws.

No, that isn't what happened. Since border security lies with the executive branch, (which the current administration exerts as absolutely true), he was directed to selectively enforce the laws. Concentrating on criminal elements and not families, etc.
Barr is saying that he alone should control the prosecutorial power of the justice department. I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of cases are considered nation wide? Does he intend to review all of them? Blue states? Red states? What will be his trigger for his review? So far, it seems it is only the ones involving Trump or Trump associates or the ones Trump tells him to.

Oh boy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...86dac4-f887-11ea-a275-1a2c2d36e1f1_story.html

Let me put it bluntly: Barr is out of his bloody mind. His word is not the law and the notion he should interfere in every case taken by the Justice department is so insane it sounds like something out of judge dread.

The unitary executive theory needs to be discredited and Barr’s vision of how the justice department operates needs to be stopped.
This is Barr's quote in full context...

This is what Presidents, the Congress, and the public expect. When something goes wrong at the Department of Justice, the buck stops at the top. 28 U.S.C. § 509 could not be plainer: “All functions of other officers of the Department of Justice and all functions of agencies and employees of the Department of Justice are vested in the Attorney General.”

And because I am ultimately accountable for every decision the Department makes, I have an obligation to ensure we make the correct ones. The Attorney General, the Assistant Attorneys General, and the U.S. Attorneys are not figureheads selected for their good looks and profound eloquence.

They are supervisors. Their job is to supervise. Anything less is an abdication.

Here is a link to his full speech(yes, I know it's Red State but this was the only place I could find his full speech transcript. Scroll down until you get to this: This is the full speech:)

Attorney General Bill Barr Uses Hillsdale Speech to Hammer DOJ's Culture of Political and Extreme Prosecutions

After reading the full speech in full context, I am of the opinion that WAPO is engaging in what I like to call "hysterical nonsense".

No, that isn't what happened. Since border security lies with the executive branch, (which the current administration exerts as absolutely true), he was directed to selectively enforce the laws. Concentrating on criminal elements and not families, etc.
Barr is saying that he alone should control the prosecutorial power of the justice department. I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of cases are considered nation wide? Does he intend to review all of them? Blue states? Red states? What will be his trigger for his review? So far, it seems it is only the ones involving Trump or Trump associates or the ones Trump tells him to.

We don't pay them the "selectively" enforce the laws. The one ignored that was giving us the most heartburn was all the illegal aliens flooding our border, and Holder ignored it.

This is Barr's quote in full context...

Here is a link to his full speech(yes, I know it's Red State but this was the only place I could find his full speech transcript. Scroll down until you get to this: This is the full speech:)

Attorney General Bill Barr Uses Hillsdale Speech to Hammer DOJ's Culture of Political and Extreme Prosecutions

After reading the full speech in full context, I am of the opinion that WAPO is engaging in what I like to call "hysterical nonsense".

WAPO is engaging in selective reporting. as usual. They only select what helps their cause.

We don't pay them the "selectively" enforce the laws. The one ignored that was giving us the most heartburn was all the illegal aliens flooding our border, and Holder ignored it.

Nope, prosecutorial discretion is used in every prosecutors office in the nation. If you have $200 worth of prosecutions and only a $100 budget, cases get passed on. Your use of heartburn is misplaced. America needs immigrants economically, and as such we pull them here to pick and process our food. If they didn't come you wouldn't have heartburn, you'd just be hungry.

Oh boy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...86dac4-f887-11ea-a275-1a2c2d36e1f1_story.html

Let me put it bluntly: Barr is out of his bloody mind. His word is not the law and the notion he should interfere in every case taken by the Justice department is so insane it sounds like something out of judge dread.

The unitary executive theory needs to be discredited and Barr’s vision of how the justice department operates needs to be stopped.

As Barr correctly pointed out, he the assistant AG's and the district attorneys are SUPERVISORS. Their job is to ensure that the lawyers doing the actual work of building a case and prosecuting it are doing so correctly according to law, ethics, department policy and so on. They are supposed to be a step back so they can take take a more dispassionate and objective view of what their direct reports are doing. As Barr said, his job and that of the others in leadership of the DOJ is not to sit around and look pretty. Its classic and basic management.

Trump and his DOJ are selectively enforcing the laws. They are not trying to hunt down and deport the European and Asian people who have overstayed visas. They are going after the low hanging poor fruit.

Oh boy...

Ummmmmmmmmmm, Barr is the boss. That's what his position is. It's not up to the anti-Trumpers in his department to go rogue.

And not a peep out of the libs when Holder was ignoring the law. I don't see where the libs know what they want.

It's very clear what the repubs want. Namely, a conservative dictator, immune from prosecution and investigation. Mission accomplished, fascists.

Soo... Dems are pissed because someone is doing their job?

Oh boy...

Barr does the typical narssistic technique of 'accuse others of which you are guilty of yourself'

He is the Attorney General, like it or not. All final decisions are his - period. I do understand the total love many fascist police-state Democrats have of career bureaucrats who each should be their own independent total authority demigods. But they are in the wrong country for that perspective.

He absolutely refused to enforce the border security laws.
In fact, he did the exact opposite - deciding HE makes and voids all federal laws as a little demigod.

No, Comey unscrewed a situation he caused by popping off, and then had to walk it back. The fact that it damaged Hilarity, if it did, is irrelevant.

You don't seem to hold liberal hacks to the same standard you hold conservative hacks...

Your comment makes no sense... Comey made a statement about reopening the Clinton investigation just 2 weeks before the election. Comey could not "walk back" the political damage for Hillary.

And you still have not shown anything that can establish a comparison between how the DOJ handles Trump associates and how the DOJ handled Obama's associates. On top of that, the DOJ is controlled by Barr, and we have not seen him holding accountable any Obama associate.

Back
Top Bottom