• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Barney Frank: "Give us more authority"

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

Remove everything after & and it will work here.

I think he was there looking for love in all the wrong places. And I'd just like some of our resident "Partisan Hack" callers, to listen to Barney Frank speak.

Hey Reverend....I was just wondering how we go about giving Barney "more ability".......I thought his ability was something he was supposed to bring to the table when he got elected to office...good ole Barney...couldn't run a service station on a dead-end street......Harv

Last edited:
Every so often, leftie / progressive ideolgues slip up and expose exactly what they are, and a complicit, obfuscating media, our own short memories, complacency and apathy prop open the gelding pen gates.

Every so often, leftie / progressive ideolgues slip up and expose exactly what they are, and a complicit, obfuscating media, our own short memories, complacency and apathy prop open the gelding pen gates.

Very true - and usually it's when they're in front of their own groups feeling very confident and getting the love from the audience. We need more of those occurances to be video taped to out these ideologues and statist for what they are... power hungry hacks who hurt this country.

I honestly don't know who Barney Frank is, and don't care. ANY politician that says "Give us more authority" scares the ****ing hell out of me.

I honestly don't know who Barney Frank is, and don't care. ANY politician that says "Give us more authority" scares the ****ing hell out of me.

Bawney is special.....

The fun starts at 40 seconds. Barney Frank, Banking Queen.

Franks is one of the last people we need to give more power to.

Franks on Fannie and Freddie:

Rep. Frank: Let me ask [George] Gould and [Franklin] Raines on behalf of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, do you feel that over the past years you have been substantially under-regulated?

Mr. Raines?

Mr. Raines: No, sir.

Mr. Frank: Mr. Gould?

Mr. Gould: No, sir. . . .

Mr. Frank: OK. Then I am not entirely sure why we are here. . . .

Rep. Frank: I believe there has been more alarm raised about potential unsafety and unsoundness than, in fact, exists.

"I do think I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness that we have in OCC [Office of the Comptroller of the Currency] and OTS [Office of Thrift Supervision]. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing."

Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA): "You can reach out to your fellow young people and make it clear to them, that when [sic] they may not be satisfied with everything we've done -- we're not satisfied with everything we've done. The way to cure that is to give us more authority and more ability"

Because nothing says "stick it to the man" like giving the man more authority.
Young people (especially my generation) are seriously messed up in the heads... the ones who think of themselves as authority-hating rebels end up supporting guys like Barney Frank.

Another thing. If the Federal government messes up, why should that cause people to want to give them more power? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

a couple of other quotes from that cite were not posted and deserve not to be missed:
Senate Banking Committee, June 15, 2006:

Sen. Robert Bennett (R., Utah): I think we do need a strong regulator. I think we do need a piece of legislation. But I think we do need also to be careful that we don't overreact.

I know the press, particularly, keeps saying this is another Enron, which it clearly is not. Fannie Mae has taken its lumps. Fannie Mae is paying a very large fine. Fannie Mae is under a very, very strong microscope, which it needs to be. . . . So let's not do nothing, and at the same time, let's not overreact. . .
Sen. Richard Shelby (R., Ala.): [T]he federal government has [an] ambiguous relationship with the GSEs. And how do we actually get rid of that ambiguity is a complicated, tricky thing. I don't know how we do it.

I mean, you've alluded to it a little bit, but how do we define the relationship? It's important, is it not?
those examples should derail your attempts to make this a partisan issue

....He was talking about the midterm elections. When he said "give us more authority" he meant send us back to Washington rather than electing the Republicans. He wasn't asking people to give up their civil liberties or support changing the constitution to make the government more powerful. He was campaigning in front of a group of likely supporters, you can disagree with his policies all you want but you can't fault him for campaigning. This thread is silly.

a couple of other quotes from that cite were not posted and deserve not to be missed:

those examples should derail your attempts to make this a partisan issue

You realize Bennet was voted out by his party in a convention, right?
Anyways, their statements aren't anywhere near the same as Barney Frank's. I don't see where they even say anything remotely similar. And in any case, they were talking about specific issues, where Frank was talking in general.

People were making this an ideological issue, not a partisan one.

....He was talking about the midterm elections. When he said "give us more authority" he meant send us back to Washington rather than electing the Republicans. He wasn't asking people to give up their civil liberties or support changing the constitution to make the government more powerful. He was campaigning in front of a group of likely supporters, you can disagree with his policies all you want but you can't fault him for campaigning. This thread is silly.

More authority and ability.

If you read the whole thing it seems pretty clear he is talking about the federal government, not the Democratic party.

More authority and ability.

If you read the whole thing it seems pretty clear he is talking about the federal government, not the Democratic party.

No offense, but I think you might be reading a little too much into it. I watched it again and again after you said this and honestly I don't see what you're talking about. He's addressing a Young Democrats group, and he's saying "us" as well as being very critical of the Republicans. I think it's pretty clear he is talking about the party, not the government. Not that I don't think he was being overly critical of the Republicans.

But that's the thing about Barney Frank, he's not just a regular Democratic Congressman. He's a long time incumbent and a party boss. It's basically his job to be a partisan more than an ideologue and to bash the Republicans at every opportunity, especially with elections right around the corner. That may be annoying or repulsive to you in and of itself but I think his intentions in this video are being misrepresented.

Last edited:
No offense, but I think you might be reading a little to much into it. I watched it again and again after you said this and honestly I don't see what you're talking about. He's addressing a Young Democrats, and he's saying "us" as well as being very critical of the Republicans. I think it's pretty clear he is talking about the party, not the government. Not that I don't think he was being overly critical of the Republicans.

But that's the thing about Barney Frank, he's not just a regular Democratic Congressman. He's a long time incumbent and a party boss. It's basically his job to be a partisan more than an ideologue and to bash the Republicans at every opportunity, especially with elections right around the corner. That may be annoying or repulsive to you in and of itself but I think his intentions in this video are being misrepresented.

Well, if I'm misreading it, so is pretty much everyone else who has reported on this. And anyways, you can't give a party "more ability" just by voting more of them into power; more ability requires more government funcitons.
Though, I wouldn't be surprised if later Frank tries to claim that what he meant is what you are saying.

Well, if I'm misreading it, so is pretty much everyone else who has reported on this. And anyways, you can't give a party "more ability" just by voting more of them into power; more ability requires more government funcitons.
Though, I wouldn't be surprised if later Frank tries to claim that what he meant is what you are saying.

That's not really true, if more Democrats were voted into Congress like he wants, they'd have a greater ability to advance their policies. I think in this context the words authority and ability basically mean the same thing; more influence in Congress than the Republicans/more influence in Congress than they have now. You can't really fault them for wanting either of those things.

Last edited:
I watched it. He meant send democrats not republicans and says as much in prelude.

Of course, it does sound both evil and funny out of context.

Last edited:

Really?

tell me what is the definition of "authority"?

Power.

And how does he want more power? It is obvious - he said so. He wants more democrats (the kind that toe the line, specifically) elected to office. He repeatedly says "put more of us in office", this is equivelant (given context) to "give us more power". Lacking any reference in the speech to expanded government powers, I don't see an honest misinterpretation here.

This seems pretty obvious, right? Maybe I don't understand the purpose of this section of the forum and, being an independent, the joke is on me.

Last edited:
I watched it. He meant send democrats not republicans and says as much in prelude.

Of course, it does sound both evil and funny out of context.

(Whenever "elmer fudd" speaks it sounds a little bit funny... :doh )

Really?

tell me what is the definition of "authority"?

Yes, he is talking about getting more power for his party by attempting to get more of them democratically elected. Not only is that not unconstitutional or worrisome from a civil liberties perspective, it's exactly what any politician is expected to do. I understand you disagree with the Democratic party and its policies (I do as well) but you can't blame them for campaigning, the Republicans are doing the same thing. There's no conspiracy here.

Back
Top Bottom