• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Barbara Bush's Comments

Connecticutter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I saw on the news that Barbara Bush, the president's mother, said that many of the Hurricane evacuees like Houston and want to live there. She also said that many of them were underprivaledged, and could find a better life in Texas.

Now these statements could cause a huge controversy, but I see at least an element of truth here. Louisiana was clearly unprepared for the tradgedy, while Texas looks like it should be a model for crisis preparation. New Orleans was probably one of our poorest cities with one of our highest crime rates.

My opinion isn't set in stone, I'd just like to know what y'all think about Barbara Bush's recent comments.

Good for Laura and speaking her mind? Especially in an administration that, um....frowns on that. But, then again, they have used the fact that they frown upon that and the fact that people like her in conjunction before in a ploy like this...so it may just be another rovian style trick. One would hope not, but that is a possibility.

I was talking to a professor of mine and this is what I got out of the conversation besides there are some of the poorest people in america living in the hardest hit areas. Do not take the ideas as my own, just read and enjoy.
*The ball was dropped. Local, state, and federal governments all dropped it.
*Engineers told Washington that the levees were old and needed to be fixed back in May. Were ignored.
*They had at least 48 hour warning for the hurricane so they could have thought up a disaster plan then.
*After the hurricane, nothing happened for 3 days! Nothing!
*If you live in a city protected by old levees about to be hit by a hurricane that's 300 feet or so below sea level, don't you think you would have a plan for if it flooded??
*The people that were left in the city were the poor and the infirm. Almost all the people who had the means got out. The poor got ****ed. Again.
*It sounds like War of the Worlds come true (minus the terrifying, killing aliens)
*You know that half of the relief money being raised isn't going to get there.
*There is a mobile medical unit with 117 beds, full pharmacy, electrical equipment, and 100 doctors that has been waiting in Baton Rouge for 3 days, unable to get into New Orleans because of the red tape. IE the government won't let them in. People are dying and hospitals are overflowing and disease is rampant and they won't allow this federally funded mobile unit through, even after they had called ahead 2 days earlier and have all the permits. What. The. ****.
*Evacuation seems to be happening at the speed of a sloth. Not only that, but they appear to be getting evacuated to places that are almost as bad.

ShamMol said:
There is a mobile medical unit with 117 beds, full pharmacy, electrical equipment, and 100 doctors that has been waiting in Baton Rouge for 3 days, unable to get into New Orleans because of the red tape. IE the government won't let them in. People are dying and hospitals are overflowing and disease is rampant and they won't allow this federally funded mobile unit through, even after they had called ahead 2 days earlier and have all the permits. What. The. ****.
This is a problem I keep on hearing about. Lots of groups, orgs. and others are showing up as scheduled to help and are being turned away by FEMA. I've heard that Walmart and FedEx trucks bringing supplies have been turned away. Several Christian groups with mobile kitchens(to feed 20,000!) and medical supplies were turned away. Groups bringing in fleets of flat water boats were turned away. I don't get it at all...

Connecticutter said:
I saw on the news that Barbara Bush, the president's mother, said that many of the Hurricane evacuees like Houston and want to live there. She also said that many of them were underprivaledged, and could find a better life in Texas.

Now these statements could cause a huge controversy, but I see at least an element of truth here. Louisiana was clearly unprepared for the tradgedy, while Texas looks like it should be a model for crisis preparation. New Orleans was probably one of our poorest cities with one of our highest crime rates.

My opinion isn't set in stone, I'd just like to know what y'all think about Barbara Bush's recent comments.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I like Barbra Bush!

And YES! Texas should be a model for crisis preparation!
After all they had much experience dealing with G. Bush there as their GOV.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

scottyz said:
This is a problem I keep on hearing about. Lots of groups, orgs. and others are showing up as scheduled to help and are being turned away by FEMA. I've heard that Walmart and FedEx trucks bringing supplies have been turned away. Several Christian groups with mobile kitchens(to feed 20,000!) and medical supplies were turned away. Groups bringing in fleets of flat water boats were turned away. I don't get it at all...
Well, I wish I could help answer your questions, but I can't because I am at as much of a loss as you are. I was gone when this happened, so I don't even have all the background information...maybe I should wikipedia it...

ShamMol said:
Good for Laura and speaking her mind?
Actually, Laura's mom-in-law, Barbara.

Babs Bush said:
"Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston."

Then she added: "What I’m hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this (she chuckles slightly)--this is working very well for them."

It's a bit on the edge of "Let them eat cake".

I imagine Houston is looking a lot better than New Orleans at the moment. It's going to be years before New Orleans is inhabitable againI imagine, so many of these folk are just getting on with their lives in new cities. States as far away as CA and IL are taking people in.

Actually the local and state dropped the ball, the federal government had to beg them to act.

*Engineers told Washington that the levees were old and needed to be fixed back in May. Were ignored.

I haven't seen anything that says these particular levees were thought to be a problem, however it is primarily a state problem and the whole levee issue has been up for discussion for quite a while as to whether they should be maintained due to the evironmental impact. There was a plan in progess and on schedule.

*They had at least 48 hour warning for the hurricane so they could have thought up a disaster plan then.

They already had one in place, the local and state officials ignored it and did not act.

Actually lots happen in three days, however the govenor failed to lead and failed to act. She has yet to sign the papers giving control to the federal government. She never declared the marial law she should have, she practically ignore Nagin.

*If you live in a city protected by old levees about to be hit by a hurricane that's 300 feet or so below sea level, don't you think you would have a plan for if it flooded??

They did and they ignored it. Bush had to call them on Saturday and BEG them to issue the mandatory evacuation. Nagin failed to follow the plan that called for the city and parish buses be used to evacuate those who had no means to leave and he allowed them all to get flooded and are now useless. Blanco was worthless.

*The people that were left in the city were the poor and the infirm. Almost all the people who had the means got out. The poor got ****ed. Again.

Not true, person after person being interviewed state they CHOOSE not to leave. There are flooded out cars all through those areas that belong to people who stayed and did not use them. Even now they can't get about 10,000 to leave. Nagin did not enforce the mandatory evacuation then plan called for and did not provide the buses that were part of the plan.

*It sounds like War of the Worlds come true (minus the terrifying, killing aliens)

Sounds like government in action.

I don't know that, it depends on who you give it to. What worries me is government handing it out to a group of people we already know had a very large contegient who have no respect for the law and will probably defraud us all.

*There is a mobile medical unit with 117 beds, full pharmacy, electrical equipment, and 100 doctors that has been waiting in Baton Rouge for 3 days,

They had hospitals in New Orleans and set up the airport as an emergency center. They needed that unit in Baton Rouge where they were bringing all the evacuees, how were they suppose to treat the people where they were taking them if they sent the medical units where they were sending them away from?
[/I]
*Evacuation seems to be happening at the speed of a sloth. Not only that, but they appear to be getting evacuated to places that are almost as bad.

Because the local and state government refuse to issue the order till it was too late. Then Nagin told everyone to go to the Superdome without providing any security or provisions or medical units. The governor failed to mobilize the National Guard and declare maritial law. Bush had already declare the area a national disaster area opening the doors for the request of the local and state officials, THEY failed to act THEY failed to lead.

ShamMol said:
Good for Laura and speaking her mind? Especially in an administration that, um....frowns on that. But, then again, they have used the fact that they frown upon that and the fact that people like her in conjunction before in a ploy like this...so it may just be another rovian style trick. One would hope not, but that is a possibility.

I was talking to a professor of mine and this is what I got out of the conversation besides there are some of the poorest people in america living in the hardest hit areas. Do not take the ideas as my own, just read and enjoy.

xxxxxxxxx
Your professor is a smart person. He or she speaks the truth. But sometimes people do not want to hear the truth and will twist everything to say what they want it to say.

Originally posted by Stinger:
I haven't seen anything that says these particular levees were thought to be a problem, however it is primarily a state problem and the whole levee issue has been up for discussion for quite a while as to whether they should be maintained due to the evironmental impact. There was a plan in progess and on schedule.
Yeah, it was on schedule alright. Up until Bush diverted a quarter of a billion dollars to Iraq that was supposed to be used to shore up those levvies.

Stinger said:
Actually the local and state dropped the ball, the federal government had to beg them to act.
With in turn not acting itself. Honestly, it dropped the ball on this one, and I don't see how you can't see that, especially with the head of FEMA's comments.
Well, I listen to NPR and I heard at least 5 people say that New Orleans would be partially to fully flooded with I believe 4 saying at least one levve would break. That is an hour of listening to news before the event and I heard it several times. The levees are maintained not by states...by who? The Federal government. And the Federal government had to cut their budget thanks to Bush's tax breaks and thus did not have enough to fund a project that would have determined (honestly too late, but still) if they could strengthen the levees to withstand level 4 and 5 hurricanes. Now that says something there because they basically acknowledge right there that they can't withstand that type of force.
They already had one in place, the local and state officials ignored it and did not act.
So did the feds. A plan is nice and all, but when the **** is flying, so do the papers of the plan...just how it works.
Actually lots happen in three days, however the govenor failed to lead and failed to act. She has yet to sign the papers giving control to the federal government. She never declared the marial law she should have, she practically ignore Nagin.
Yes she did, and she is at fault, but the Feds should have done a whole laundry list of items as well.
They did and they ignored it. Bush had to call them on Saturday and BEG them to issue the mandatory evacuation. Nagin failed to follow the plan that called for the city and parish buses be used to evacuate those who had no means to leave and he allowed them all to get flooded and are now useless. Blanco was worthless.
I was listening and they said basically, if you are still in the city, we will not be able to help you, this is your only chance. Plus, I do not believe that they could have organized that large of a mandatory evacuation in time. Sure, they would have gotten more out as a result, but still, not feasible.
Not true, person after person being interviewed state they CHOOSE not to leave. There are flooded out cars all through those areas that belong to people who stayed and did not use them. Even now they can't get about 10,000 to leave. Nagin did not enforce the mandatory evacuation then plan called for and did not provide the buses that were part of the plan.
I already spoke on the mandatory evacuation and how it would not have worked for a city the size of Orleans and how clogged the roads were and how short supplies were, etc, but I will go into the other part. Just because they CHOOSE to stay there, we choose to **** them in return? No, they are human beings. Sorry to say this, but it will get under your skin as one of the sayings in your post did (Choose)...but help is on the way, or at least it is now that they are trying to save the hide of the president.
I don't know that, it depends on who you give it to. What worries me is government handing it out to a group of people we already know had a very large contegient who have no respect for the law and will probably defraud us all.
That is just what the professor said, and honestly, I don't know. And if you are worried about fraud at a time like this above helping people...well, I don't really know what to say.
They had hospitals in New Orleans and set up the airport as an emergency center. They needed that unit in Baton Rouge where they were bringing all the evacuees, how were they suppose to treat the people where they were taking them if they sent the medical units where they were sending them away from?
Ok?
Because the local and state government refuse to issue the order till it was too late. Then Nagin told everyone to go to the Superdome without providing any security or provisions or medical units. The governor failed to mobilize the National Guard and declare maritial law. Bush had already declare the area a national disaster area opening the doors for the request of the local and state officials, THEY failed to act THEY failed to lead.
So many people failed in this mess it is ridiculous. Now, the president himself didn't personally fail except for the fact he didn't leave vacation (major pr mistake) and campaigned (MAJOR pr mistake). But his government that he leads did. You know what, come to think of it, he made light of the situation in a press conference that I just saw....so, that is three mistakes. Basically, my point is that everyone failed on almost every level except the red cross, which from all reports, has been amazing.

Everything you responded to were not my thoughts, just to let you know, just letting you know what people who discuss this thought. Good to start something here.

Stinger said:

Sounds like government in action.

*There is a mobile medical unit with 117 beds, full pharmacy, electrical equipment, and 100 doctors that has been waiting in Baton Rouge for 3 days,

[/I]

Your facts are not accurate.

The Governor of Louisiana declared the state of emergency on August 26.
http://gov.louisiana.gov/2005 proclamations/48pro2005-Emergency-HurricaneKatrina.pdf

The Governor of Louisiana asked the President to declare a state of emergency on August 28, two days before the hurricane hit. She asked for the federal government's help: read it for yourself here:http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster Relief Request.pdf

Sunday, 28 August 2005, Mayor of New Orleans orders Mandatory Evacuation.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/28/hurricane.katrina/?section=cnn_topstories

Bush received the letter on Saturday and responded on the same day by declaring a State of Emergency. http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/20050827-1.html

Under the National Response Plane (see p. 93, Figure 11), once the President declares a State of Emergency the Department of Homeland Security is supposed to implement the Plan. Initially, DHS is supposed to deploy an Emergency Response Team to the State to provide expertise in assessing needs and determining appropriate courses of action. Moreover, on p. 52 of the NRP the President may act proactively under the Stafford Act.
http://www.dhs.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/NRPbaseplan.pdf

http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/

And as for the levees there was an article in the Scientific American published in 2001 that predicted the scenario; same in the National Geographic. I don't have the links to the articles handy, but I'll find them

Back
Top Bottom