• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Barack Obama: The great jobs killer

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
WAYNE ALLYN ROOT: Barack Obama: The great jobs killer - Opinion - ReviewJournal.com

Quote(The current occupant of the White House claims to know how to create jobs. He claims jobs have been created. But so far the score is Great Obama Depression 2.2 million lost jobs, Obama 0 -- a blowout.)

Not strictly true, Obama did in fact by buying GM on behalf of Democratic Party and ostensibly US taxpayers, create a number of unionized jobs in that industry.

Quote(It's time to call Obama what he is: The Great Jobs Killer. With his massive spending and tax hikes -- rewarding big government and big unions, while punishing taxpayers and business owners -- Obama has killed jobs, he has killed motivation to create new jobs, he has killed the motivation to invest in new businesses, or expand old ones. With all this killing, Obama should be given the top spot on the FBI's Most Wanted List.)

Hey why not say what you really think! Do not hold back, let it all out.

Quote(Meanwhile, he has kept the union workers of GM and Chrysler employed (with taxpayer money). He has made sure that most government employee union members got their annual raises for sleeping on the job (with taxpayer money). He made sure that his voters got handouts mislabeled as "tax cuts" even though they never paid taxes (with taxpayer money). And he made sure that major campaign contributors collected billions off government stimulus (with taxpayer money).)

See> now that is exactly what i have been saying.

Quote(As far as the taxpayers -- the people who actually take risks with our own money to create small businesses and jobs and pay most of the taxes -- we require protection under the Endangered Species Act.

You won't find proof of the damage Obama is doing on Wall Street, but rather on Main Street. My friends are all part of the economic engine of America: Small business. Small business creates 75 percent of new jobs (and a majority of all jobs). I called one friend who was a wealthy restaurant owner. He says business is off by 60 percent. He's drowning in debt. He won't last much longer. His wealth is gone.

I called another friend in the business of home improvement. He says business is off 90 percent from two years ago. My contractor just filed personal bankruptcy. She won't be building any more homes. The hair salon where I've had my hair cut for years closed earlier this year. Bankrupt. But here's the clincher -- ESPN Zone just closed all their restaurants across the country. If they can't make it selling cheap food and overpriced beer with 100 big screens blaring every sporting event on the planet to a sports-crazed society, we are all in deep, deep trouble.

I've polled all my friends who own small businesses -- many of them in the Internet and high-tech fields. They all agree that in this new Obama world of high business taxes, income taxes, payroll taxes, capital gains taxes, and workers compensation taxes, the key to success is to avoid employees. The only way to survive as a business owner today is by keeping the payroll very low and by hiring only independent contractors or part-time employees provided by temp agencies.

The days of jobs in the private sector with big salaries, full benefits, and pensions are over. We've all seen where those kinds of jobs get you as a business owner -- in Bankruptcy Court or surviving on government welfare like GM and Chrysler. Or in the case of government itself -- completely insolvent, but surviving by ripping off taxpayers and fraudulently running printing presses at the Fed all day and night to print money by the trillions.

Unfortunately, small businesses don't have the power to impose taxes or print money. So unlike government, we'll just have to cut employees and run lean and mean.)

I feel almost compelled to ask the one question that Obama cannot answer, namely 'If Private business cannot provide the jobs, who will?'

seems the author forgets something...obama inherited this mess.

No I do not forget who inherited the Mess, Obama did.
Nor do I forget all the campaign promises he made during his run to be elected President, certainly NOONE is ever likely to forget all those campaign promises he made and is now reneging on.

Obama has in no way diminished the mess he inherited, but he even blames Bush for the mess he Obama is making of the mess he Obama inherited.

Obama's Plan A is always the same: Spend money we don't have, throwing it in every direction. When that fails (as it always will) he resorts to the same old Plan B every time: Blame Bush.

From an astute observer, reportedly in the Czech Republic:

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency .It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Reagan inherited a mess too... remember Stagflation... and managed a way to change America's fortunes when the world was writing us off.

He believed we could do it if government got out of the way and off our backs. Simple American Principles. We don't hear that kind of talk from the current office holder, and we do not see the kind of legislation proven to motivate men to action.

That way was lower taxes, eliminating price controls and red tape.
Similar to the recipe proferred by JFK.

Last edited:
After a year and a half this blaming Bush has no credibility. Obama has failed to fix unemployment and the economy

Reagan inherited a mess too... remember Stagflation... and managed a way to change America's fortunes when the world was writing us off.

He believed we could do it if government got out of the way and off our backs. Simple American Principles. We don't hear that kind of talk from the current office holder, and we do not see the kind of legislation proven to motivate men to action.

That way was lower taxes, eliminating price controls and red tape.
Similar to the recipe proferred by JFK.

Reagan solved stagflation by jacking up government spending to unheard of levels, and cutting taxes. Obama talked the economic meltdown by unheard of spending and cutting taxes.

Your point again?

Reagan solved stagflation by jacking up government spending to unheard of levels, and cutting taxes. Obama talked the economic meltdown by unheard of spending and cutting taxes.

Your point again?
What tax cuts?

Nice try but most comes from Bush as you first article shows. Next year if Obama lets the Bush tax cuts expire it will be the largest tax increase in our history

Nice try but most comes from Bush as you first article shows. Next year if Obama lets the Bush tax cuts expire it will be the largest tax increase in our history

No, those are from the current administration, mostly from the stimulus. Nice try though.

Further, if the Bush tax cuts expire, I do not think it will be even close to the largest tax increase, and I am sure you can document your claim, can't you.

No, those are from the current administration, mostly from the stimulus. Nice try though.

Further, if the Bush tax cuts expire, I do not think it will be even close to the largest tax increase, and I am sure you can document your claim, can't you.

I imagine that after January 2011 you will be regretting these fine words you have penned.

I imagine that after January 2011 you will be regretting these fine words you have penned.

Why would I regret telling the truth? Obama did cut taxes. Obama did provide a package of tax cuts to small businesses. The "largest tax cut in history" is purely rhetoric. This is simple honesty, I can't see regretting it.

Read your first article

bush tax cuts expire which will be the largets tax increase ever - Bing

Any way you look at it, if all of the Bush tax cuts for all taxpayers are allowed to sunset, and brackets revert automatically to the 2000 rates, it would be the largest tax increase in history! As you can see, if the Bush tax cuts expire, the rate increases on the lowest income filers from 10% to 15% would amount to a 50% increase.

Even though many political analysts assume that Obama will keep his promise to maintain the Bush tax rates for couples making less than $250,000, it's important to remember that doing so is going to require Congressional action. The Bush tax cuts automatically sunset at the end of this year, so doing nothing will result in this massive tax increase, sure to be an election issue in 2012.

Taking action, however, is also fraught with peril. If you liked the closed-door negotiations and political intrigue connected to the passage of the healthcare bill, then you'll love the politics that are sure to come along with deciding which of the Bush tax cuts are allowed to sunset and which are allowed to continue, and to what taxpayer income levels they will apply.

Read your first article

bush tax cuts expire which will be the largets tax increase ever - Bing

Any way you look at it, if all of the Bush tax cuts for all taxpayers are allowed to sunset, and brackets revert automatically to the 2000 rates, it would be the largest tax increase in history! As you can see, if the Bush tax cuts expire, the rate increases on the lowest income filers from 10% to 15% would amount to a 50% increase.

Even though many political analysts assume that Obama will keep his promise to maintain the Bush tax rates for couples making less than $250,000, it's important to remember that doing so is going to require Congressional action. The Bush tax cuts automatically sunset at the end of this year, so doing nothing will result in this massive tax increase, sure to be an election issue in 2012.

Taking action, however, is also fraught with peril. If you liked the closed-door negotiations and political intrigue connected to the passage of the healthcare bill, then you'll love the politics that are sure to come along with deciding which of the Bush tax cuts are allowed to sunset and which are allowed to continue, and to what taxpayer income levels they will apply.

You still have not even close to documented your claim. Hint: linking to a search is not documenting it, especially when the returns from that search is a bunch of blogs.

Are you willing to concede Obama did pass a bunch of tax cuts for middle class workers and small businesses?

You still have not even close to documented your claim. Hint: linking to a search is not documenting it, especially when the returns from that search is a bunch of blogs.

Are you willing to concede Obama did pass a bunch of tax cuts for middle class workers and small businesses?

No. He gave minimal cuts to make it look good. Those cuts will be ate up by Bush tax cuts expiring which you hide from. Then there is carbon tax coming or cap and trade. We will be over taxed and poor while Obama is still rich

No. He gave minimal cuts to make it look good. Those cuts will be ate up by Bush tax cuts expiring which you hide from. Then there is carbon tax coming or cap and trade. We will be over taxed and poor while Obama is still rich

So, despite your questioning, you do admit that yes, Obama did cut taxes. You have some concerns for the future(which may contain things you have no idea about), but you do admit now that in what we are talking about, Obama did in fact cut taxes. Good to see we are in agreement. You also seem to be moving away from your lame "biggest tax increase in history" talking point as well. Good for you.

So, despite your questioning, you do admit that yes, Obama did cut taxes. You have some concerns for the future(which may contain things you have no idea about), but you do admit now that in what we are talking about, Obama did in fact cut taxes. Good to see we are in agreement. You also seem to be moving away from your lame "biggest tax increase in history" talking point as well. Good for you.

The tax cuts mean nothing when the biggest tax increase ever is coming. Then there is cap and tax. We won't even be able to see or rememeber that little bit Obama did.

The tax cuts mean nothing when the biggest tax increase ever is coming. Then there is cap and tax. We won't even be able to see or rememeber that little bit Obama did.

You do know that lower income people would actually pay less for energy than they do now under the cap and trade bill? You do know that middle class end up about even under the bill IIRC? You do know that Obama cut taxes, and that, according to conservative wisdom, that should help the economy, correct? So now how exactly is Obama killing jobs?

You do know that lower income people would actually pay less for energy than they do now under the cap and trade bill? You do know that middle class end up about even under the bill IIRC? You do know that Obama cut taxes, and that, according to conservative wisdom, that should help the economy, correct? So now how exactly is Obama killing jobs?

You mean like unemployment will not go above 8%? He is no longer believable or credibile.

If he is not helping the private sector he is killing jobs. Biggest problem is nobody trusts him which means not investing now.

You mean like unemployment will not go above 8%? He is no longer believable or credibile.

If he is not helping the private sector he is killing jobs. Biggest problem is nobody trusts him which means not investing now.

AS the report that the 8.7 % number was pulled from clearly states, that number was a projection, and could very well be wrong. Funny how you have had that explained to you repeatedly, with quotes from the very document, and you still parrot it time and again.

Obama has, most likely, helped create private sector jobs. In fact, it's almost certain. No one knows for sure how many, with estimates ranging from ~1 million, to as high as ~3.5 million. The problem is the economy is slow to recover from the devastating crash that happened before Obama was even president. Not alot can be done to change that.

I love the way you guys keep spinning this expiration of Bush-43 tax cuts as if Pres. Obama is actually imposing a tax increase. All he's doing is letting a piece of legistlation expire. Will it help this nation reduce its deficit? Perhaps...

Everyone (Conservatives) keeps asking the question, "How are we to pay for all this new spending?" People also keep forecasting that eventually, Pres. Obama would have to raise taxes to pay for his deficit spending. Well, doesn't it make sense to let the tax cuts expire and, thus, generate some of those lost revenues for lost jobs/wages on Main Street? Folks who oppose letting the tax cuts expire keep throwing out that same old mantra, "tax cuts create jobs". Well, if that's the case why haven't any new jobs been created since the Recession started in October 2008 as a result of continuing these tax cuts?

The way I see it we can't have it both ways. I recognize that our gov't can't continue to spend money or start social service programs w/o having some means to pay for them. The kicker here is there haven't been many (if any) new government programs created or activated since the Recession began. If anything, Pres. Obama has talked more about cutting waste within federal programs moreso than he has talked about starting new programs.

Personally, I think it's a shame that most of us don't review U.S./World history often enough. What this country and the world is going through right now is a repeat of events from the Depression era. It's going to take a long time before any real recovery begins to take hold. We keep looking around the next Dow Jones up or down tick wondering "Is it over?" Conditions were far worse during the 1930's than they are now, but our present-day economic situation isn't all that different. Wall Street greed, over-extended credit and citizen panic all fueled the Depression just as those same actions have fueled our present-day Recession. Surprisingly enough, it was government spending NOT private sector job creation that pulled this country out of the Depression. Yes, our government did some things wrong then just as there have been some mistakes made in present-day, but until the private sector can become more stablized the Recession will continue. The question is, how do we do that if the private sector can't fix itself?

Do you raise taxes or continue with tax cuts that don't seem to be generating job growth within the middle-class (blue-collar job sectors)?

Does the government continue to throw billions at the economic problem following the business mantra, "It takes money to make money," knowing full well private sector isn't in the strongest position to fix itself?

Should the government have continued to allow Wall Street to go unchecked the way things were for the financial sector during the Depression?

I believe these are fundamental questions that need to be answered and can be if people and politicians would just take a step back and see things for what they truly are.

Last edited:
AS the report that the 8.7 % number was pulled from clearly states, that number was a projection, and could very well be wrong. Funny how you have had that explained to you repeatedly, with quotes from the very document, and you still parrot it time and again.

Obama has, most likely, helped create private sector jobs. In fact, it's almost certain. No one knows for sure how many, with estimates ranging from ~1 million, to as high as ~3.5 million. The problem is the economy is slow to recover from the devastating crash that happened before Obama was even president. Not alot can be done to change that.

Bull Obama has done nothing except create government jobs,grow government and SPEND SPEND SPEND

I am trying to figure out creating jobs when every month more people lose their jobs. It is all BS with no facts to back it up

Last edited:
Im brand new to debate forums, my experience is preaching my opinion at work to deaf ears, so instead of getting "is he crazy" looks from co-workers I decided to take my opinions on-line. So thanks for having me and I admit im no political expert but I do have strong opinions about what little "facts" I do know. I hope to learn more and broaden my views thru intelligent debate, so thank you for having me. Now....

I do agree that Obama did inherit a mess, doesnt matter if Bush created it or not. Americans and there greed created it by wanting $300k houses when they could only afford half that, and banks willing to loan them the money. Well the bubble burst and it created a mess, its currently Obamas job to clean it up. I voted for McCain, wasnt a fan of the "fast to rise" charismatic "Change-Change-Change" man, but my personal opinion is hes doing better than I assumed he would.

Since the topic is Obama the Job Killer, I think its great that he is now investing heavily into Alternative Energy:

Obama commits nearly $2 billion to solar companies - Yahoo! News

Due to the fact that yes its will create more jobs, both in production of the plants but in research of more efficient technology. But it will decrease our dependence on foreign energy options. Plus its only a start, think of all the infrastructure upgrades to create a more efficient grid jobs that will be created. Any movement towards alternative energy brings a whole new sector to the table. And for once I think it is something worth the giant pricetag, something everyone in America will benefit from, not just a select few (which never seem to be me).

Thats my two-cents, thanks for listening

Bull Obama has done nothing except create government jobs,grow government and SPEND SPEND SPEND

You can prove he has not created jobs? Hint: what does spending do?

Back
Top Bottom