• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Barack Obama cuts short jail sentences of 214 prisoners

Quite possibly. If I recall, the over all trend for people who've been in prison is to re-offend with more serious crimes than the last times. So while these people may have been in prison for non-violence crimes, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that they'd re-offend with violence crimes? And if so, on whom are would they be inflicting their violent crimes? Innocent citizens?

If all that adds up and follows, wouldn't a reasonable conclusion be that Obama has enabled the death and injury on innocent US citizens?

If they still have the felony on their record then they won't be able to get decent jobs very easily.

Yet more laughable, Pollyanna hand-wringing, trypical of the idiotic Reefer Madness mindset: "In the face of the human deaths and destruction being wrought by marijuana legalization in Colorado..." "...exposing the “seven great myths about marijuana” that have driven this unfolding disaster..."

Alarmist and emotional claptrap for suckers.

Kinda hard to deny the realities on the ground in Colorado, as shown in the citations posted, and a number of others from local LEOs.

And? It's simply a matter of free market principles. Why do they frighten you so? When MJ is finally fedrally legalized, this won't be an issue.

Isn't it a premise of the left that unregulated free markets aren't necessarily a good thing? This may be one instance of it.

No, it doesn't. It has some social conservative big gob't nanny statists up in arms, put people brining MJ into Kansas simply isn't a 'problem'.

You have absolutely zero clue what you're talking about.

You don't acknowledge the possibility that should the drug trade in Colorado continue, much as they did in the Mexican border towns, that a similar outcome is possible? Why not?

People are people, whether they be Mexican or American. They are bound to react pretty similarly to pretty much the same situation, wouldn't they?

If they still have the felony on their record then they won't be able to get decent jobs very easily.

I believe that most recently California made it illegal for prospective employers to inquire as to this status for prospective employees.

That's the MJ trade, not MJ, and it must be nice to have such an active fantasy life that you have to pretend you seem them every day.

Legalize it fully and that all goes *poof* away.

But don't let reality spoil your fantasy.

Every time I pick up the paper where I am, Sinaloa Mexico, I see deaths. I mean it is an everyday occurrence.

All drugs should be legal. It is none of the government's business what drugs I put into my body...NONE AT ALL.

So those of them that were non-violent and drug possession/sale I am (without knowing the details of any of the cases) 100% in agreement with.

Plus, drug laws are - intentionally or not - racist in America.

Crack is used overwhelmingly by African Americans. Cocaine by other 'races' primarily.

The penalty for possession of 1 gram of cocaine is the same as 100 grams of crack. Yet on the street, they cost about the same. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Based on what little I know of this...GOOD FOR OBAMA.

The best way to prevent that is to implement programs in prison to mitigate recidivism.

I was just reading something on techniques used by ..... Sweden? Switzerland? Bah, the exact country escapes me...on how to reduce recidivism. They have something absurd like a 20% recidivism rate which just boggles the mind compared to what we have here in the US

Kinda hard to deny the realities on the ground in Colorado, as shown in the citations posted, and a number of others from local LEOs.

No, not really. The numbers don't add up to a 'disaster'.
Isn't it a premise of the left that unregulated free markets aren't necessarily a good thing? This may be one instance of it.

This isn't a an unregulated free market.
You don't acknowledge the possibility that should the drug trade in Colorado continue, much as they did in the Mexican border towns, that a similar outcome is possible? Why not?

The differences between CO and the Mexican border and town on it are evident to anyone rational observing them. That you don't see this tells me you're likely unfamiliar wi them.
People are people, whether they be Mexican or American. They are bound to react pretty similarly to pretty much the same situation, wouldn't they?

Nope. Utterly diferent culture, utterly different legal system.

Quite possibly. If I recall, the over all trend for people who've been in prison is to re-offend with more serious crimes than the last times. So while these people may have been in prison for non-violence crimes, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that they'd re-offend with violence crimes? And if so, on whom are would they be inflicting their violent crimes? Innocent citizens?

If all that adds up and follows, wouldn't a reasonable conclusion be that Obama has enabled the death and injury on innocent US citizens?

Yeesh.

I hope every case was examined I want to know what the original charge was and not what they pleaded it down to.

Also if these were drug dealers and not just his pet drug users, then there will be more deaths to come from this group.

That is what drug dealers do.

What I don't like about it is for instance Denver Broncos NFL player Demaryius Thomas.. he had access to Obama and asked Obama to do something if he could about his grandmother and that was one of the pardons/commutes.
Obama had already previously done the same for Demaryius Thomas's mother. The mother and grandmother were arrested together for drug trafficking when Thomas was just a kid.
Obama commutes Demaryius Thomas' grandmother's life sentence - NY Daily News

Now I'm not saying their particular cases might not have been deserving... but two family members... because he is a pro football player who has access to Obama and was able to ask him to free his mom and grandma.. meanwhile everyday joe people who don't have that access... I would imaging people get what I mean.

No, not really. The numbers don't add up to a 'disaster'.
Don't think I ever used the word disaster in my post. Do you frequently put words in other people's mouths?
This isn't a an unregulated free market.
What would you call it then? Not the legal MJ market, but the illegal, black market one. How is that regulated?
The differences between CO and the Mexican border and town on it are evident to anyone rational observing them. That you don't see this tells me you're likely unfamiliar wi them.

Nope. Utterly diferent culture, utterly different legal system.

I guess we can only hope that this bears out.

Interesting, a post riddled with unsubstantiated conjecture often well outside the bounds of normal logic. Why is reasonable to assume a non-violent offender would re-offend with violent crimes? What a ridiculous statement! "If I recall" is not substantiation.... its taking you misguided impressions and selling them off as fact. That kind of reckless disregard for the truth might be considered a "lie" by many.

Start with the fact that most of this commutations were for drug offenses. These are not crimes that we often put people in prison for today.

Try substantiating your post with 3rd party evidence and try again. Otherwise stop wasting space in hyperspace with this nonsense.

Last edited:
Interesting, a post riddled with unsubstantiated conjecture often well outside the bounds of normal logic. Why is reasonable to assume a non-violent offender would re-offend with violent crimes? What a ridiculous statement! "If I recall" is not substantiation.... its taking you misguided impressions and selling them off as fact. That kind of reckless disregard for the truth might be considered a "lie" by many.

Start with the fact that most of this commutations were for drug offenses. These are not crimes that we often put people in prison for today.

Try substantiating your post with 3rd party evidence and try again. Otherwise stop wasting space in hyperspace with this nonsense.
Why was it necessary to release all these people? More than ever in history. Drug addicts, drug dealers... what a bunch of great people. All non violent, not hurting anyone. Tell that to someone that's lost a a brother/son/etc... to drug use. Can't wait until one of these druggies moves into the neighborhood, cause, you know, it's all non violent. That's a line he tells the idiots who will swallow it without question. The bedrock of the Democrat party.

All drugs should be legal. It is none of the government's business what drugs I put into my body...NONE AT ALL.

So those of them that were non-violent and drug possession/sale I am (without knowing the details of any of the cases) 100% in agreement with.

Crack is used overwhelmingly by African Americans. Cocaine by other 'races' primarily.

The penalty for possession of 1 gram of cocaine is the same as 100 grams of crack. Yet on the street, they cost about the same. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I got this backwards.

The penalty for one gram of crack cocaine is the same as 100 grams of cocaine.

Interesting, a post riddled with unsubstantiated conjecture often well outside the bounds of normal logic. Why is reasonable to assume a non-violent offender would re-offend with violent crimes? What a ridiculous statement!

Being in prison is often referred to 'Crime University'.

When Crime Pays: Prison Can Teach Some To Be Better Criminals

Prisons: Universities of Crime

So the conclusion may be as far fetched as you are making out or would like to believe.

"If I recall" is not substantiation.... its taking you misguided impressions and selling them off as fact. That kind of reckless disregard for the truth might be considered a "lie" by many.

Just starting a nice conversation, which was started with Calamity and Cardinal. If you don't want to participate, that's fine. Don't read the posts or respond to them.

I understand that a libertarian tenet is to make any and all drugs legal, regardless of the consequences to people and society.

Illegal drugs are corrosive to very fabric of society and it's people. Heck, we can see this even in abused legal drugs such as the opiate addiction epidemic caused by the over prescription and overuse of pain killers among previously pillars of the community.

Does not this position encourage this corrosion to continue, and indeed expand in scope and impact, to continue the eating away at the fabric of society and it's people? You see no detrimental effects from this?

Don't think I ever used the word disaster in my post. Do you frequently put words in other people's mouths?

Nor did I say you did. It was a quote ffrom your linked articles.
What would you call it then? Not the legal MJ market, but the illegal, black market one. How is that regulated?

It's self-regulated, due to its illegal nature. That's the problem.
I guess we can only hope that this bears out.

I just don't see any rational or sreasonable comparison between the two. I've been to both, and I don't find it credible that somehow CO towns would turn into something akin to Mexican border towns.

If you're of age, I don't really care how you abuse yourself.

But I do object to releasing pushers who peddle coke/crack/meth to schoolkids.

Nor did I say you did. It was a quote ffrom your linked articles.
OK. Fair enough.
It's self-regulated, due to its illegal nature. That's the problem.
Even with a legal and regulated market in place, The illegal black market continues to exist. Wasn't one of the promises of making a legal market possible that it would kill off the illegal one? It hasn't.
So isn't the real question whether the legal market creates and / or expands the illegal market? The illegal market is the 'bad' thing that no one wants, right?

I just don't see any rational or sreasonable comparison between the two. I've been to both, and I don't find it credible that somehow CO towns would turn into something akin to Mexican border towns.
There's always the hope that they don't. But I think it still a reasonable position to hold that there is still a risk to be concerned about that they could.

For those of you who are interested here is the criteria to be eligible for the Clemency Initiative.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/anno...torney-general-james-m-cole-details-broad-new

Under the new initiative, the department will prioritize clemency applications from inmates who meet all of the following factors:

· They are currently serving a federal sentence in prison and, by operation of law, likely would have received a substantially lower sentence if convicted of the same offense(s) today;

· They are non-violent, low-level offenders without significant ties to large scale criminal organizations, gangs or cartels;

· They have served at least 10 years of their prison sentence;

· They do not have a significant criminal history;

· They have demonstrated good conduct in prison; and

· They have no history of violence prior to or during their current term of imprisonment.

Back
Top Bottom