• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Banning the Burqa in the US? For or against?

Are you for or against a burqa-ban in the US?

• I am for a burqa-ban in the US

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I am against a burqa-ban in the US

Votes: 73 82.0%
  • I abstain from voting

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Unfortunately, "Freedom of religion" only applies if the Burqa is "religiously mandated" (and that means "in the Qur'an") but it isn't. What the Qur'an mandates is "modesty". The Burqa is only "culturally mandated" and the culture of the United States of America is NOT the same as the culture where it is mandated.

That being said, the only issue that arises is whether or not "The Gummint" should be in the business of mandating what clothing a person is allowed to wear, and, if so, under what specific circumstances and for what specific reasons.

Personally, I find

offensive, but I do not see it as any reason to "ban the Speedo".
Trump should stop wearing those.

A

The US is a Republic. You should have been taught this.

And again, Islamic faith does not allow separation of church and state so Indonesia is not following basic Islamic faith which you would know if you bothered to study it as I have.

But there is no winning when arguing with a true believer such as yourself.

And I prefer not to associate with someone who is supportive of institutional misogyny in the name of “tolerance” and political correctness. I prefer not to associate with someone who doesn’t even acknowledge the Islamic antagonism toward freedom as demonstrated by the files I have sent. I prefer not to associate with someone who doesn’t even acknowledge the surahs I have presented that make it clear what the Koran is suggesting in their form of proselytizing.

I find your attitude disturbing and because you are a total anonymous stranger I will simply wish you the best as I do all contentious people.

The US is also a "democracy" and Indonesia is also a republic. So your point is - what?

Please point out specific surahs which PROHIBIT "separation of church and state". If you think that there is a separation of Church and State in the US, please let me know which laws that are NOT "footed in Christian ideology" would pass. BTW, the US constitution only prohibits the "establishment" of a particular religion as the only allowable religion in the country, it does NOT prohibit passing ONLY laws which have, as their basis, "Christian belief".

Might I suggest that you actually pay attention to what the surahs actually say (of course, it also helps if you read them in Arabic) rather than telling people that they say something that they don't say because doing so advances your agenda?

Banning the Burqa in the US?

The wording of my other poll was rather unclear.
Here now comes a poll with a clearcut wording.

For or against a burqa-ban?
Burqa-ban for the simple fact that I would want to see their faces and body language better. That knife came out of nowhere.

Burqa-ban for the simple fact that I would want to see their faces and body language better. That knife came out of nowhere.

Going to ban jackets as well then?

Jackets aren't typically tied to terrorism; burqas are.
How many burqa attacks have there been in the US?

I'm getting the feeling this has less to do with freedom for women and more to do with dislike of Islam.
It has nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with the oppression of women.

I can't believe that any person is for the burqa, let alone any woman.

Sounds just as insane as black people supporting slavery.

How many burqa attacks have there been in the US?
It doesn't matter. There have been shitloads all over the globe. Better safe than sorry. ;)

It has nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with the oppression of women.
Why would the same concern not be expressed about the way Amish women are forced to dress?

It doesn't matter. There have been shitloads all over the globe. Better safe than sorry. ;)
If you were really worried about terrorism in America you'd be on about white men with guns rather than women's clothing.

If you were really worried about terrorism in America you'd be on about white men with guns rather than women's clothing.
I'm worried about terrorism across the board. But since this thread is about women in burqas, I'm talking about that potential threat.

Why would the same concern not be expressed about the way Amish women are forced to dress?
Isn't it?

I am against it, but not as much as the burqa. It is oppressive but not as totally oppressive and demeaning.

I can't believe that any person is for the burqa, let alone any woman.
Sounds just as insane as black people supporting slavery.
Exactly.
And a fitting comparison.

As I said before:
An Amish bonnet and an Afghan burka are worlds apart.

Even though they have initial letters in common. :cool:

As I said before:
An Amish bonnet and an Afghan burka are worlds apart.

Even though they have initial letters in common. :cool:
All are examples of modest attire that are traditional and may or may not be enforced by husbands or the community.

There are only like 5 women in the US wearing a Burqa.

The Burqa is the thing used in Afghanistan, that covers the face like a bag.

Do you probably mean the Niqab - which more women are wearing ?
That reminds of one time I was with my girlfriend in the store buying some condoms and the clerk said "Do you want a bag with that?" And I said "come on man! She's not that ugly".

All are examples of modest attire that are traditional and may or may not be enforced by husbands or the community.
Do you really call an Afghan burka "modest"?
And if something is "traditional" that must not always be a value in itself.
There are also bad traditions.

Do you really call an Afghan burka "modest"?
Yes that is the function of the garb.
And if something is "traditional" that must not always be a value in itself.
There are also bad traditions.
Lots of bad traditions, such as religion generally and its almost universal marginalization of women. Nothing to say about that though right?

The burka is modest?
Let us agree to disagree.
How is it not modest if no skin whatsoever can be seen? It is the antithesis of the mini skirt.

if something is "traditional" that must not always be a value in itself
And if you are Muslim, it's your right to pipe up about whether your traditions have value. The rest of us, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom