• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Banning Kids from Malls

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Last edited:
The function of malls has changed radically over the years. Malls were originally a way to give a consumer a very controlled experience and a way for people to shop year-round, even in bad weather. As the mall grew, it became a place where young people could gather and consequently, many stores in the mall began to reflect the target audience. The mall was a place for teens to go and hang out, hopefully to spend money. Now, malls are becoming more for the urbanites, the yuppies, the new money. They're becoming upscale and trying to attract in the middle and upper middle classes to give them a Fifth Avenue-esq experience. This has caused a shift in the stores that malls generally have, they're usually geared more for adults now and teens are being chased out completely or relegated to a handful of areas in the mall itself.

The function of malls has changed radically over the years. Malls were originally a way to give a consumer a very controlled experience and a way for people to shop year-round, even in bad weather. As the mall grew, it became a place where young people could gather and consequently, many stores in the mall began to reflect the target audience. The mall was a place for teens to go and hang out, hopefully to spend money. Now, malls are becoming more for the urbanites, the yuppies, the new money. They're becoming upscale and trying to attract in the middle and upper middle classes to give them a Fifth Avenue-esq experience. This has caused a shift in the stores that malls generally have, they're usually geared more for adults now and teens are being chased out completely or relegated to a handful of areas in the mall itself.

Good.

that is all.

oh, its good because at this trend, I won't have to wade through a bunch of foul mouthed disrespectful delinquent little ****s while I try to do my shopping.

Kids don't belong at the mall alone to begin with. If they can't drive they shouldn't be there without a parent or friend's parent. It's also a way to keep punks from stealing stuff which is much easier for the security crew.

My friends and I used to hang out at the mall in high school, but we would play cards in the food court and satisfy ourselves gossiping about the variety of different people who would walk by. The hooligans were sometimes part of our gawking because we thought they were ridiculous.

I can see why some malls would adopt this rule, but you can't deny that it's an ageist policy. Not all teenagers are a nuisance, and in a lot of places the mall is really the only happening place to go. Are they really going to start ID'ing people at the door or spot-checking teens to ask them where their parents are, and if they're not there then kick them out?

Remove the people that are actually causing problems as they occur. That's what mall security is for.

oh, its good because at this trend, I won't have to wade through a bunch of foul mouthed disrespectful delinquent little ****s while I try to do my shopping.

Kids don't belong at the mall alone to begin with. If they can't drive they shouldn't be there without a parent or friend's parent. It's also a way to keep punks from stealing stuff which is much easier for the security crew.
I cant help but smile a little when I see responses like this. It throws into light the great duality that is the American teenager/young adult; expected to act like adults yet treated like children. A great deal of the reason teens get into trouble is a lack of places to be, resulting from attitudes like yours, Caine. People with time on their hands who feel welcome nowhere and can find nowhere to be where they wont be kicked out is a great recipe for trouble-makers.

I got into my best trouble when I had nowhere to go at a young age :)

I cant help but smile a little when I see responses like this. It throws into light the great duality that is the American teenager/young adult; expected to act like adults yet treated like children. A great deal of the reason teens get into trouble is a lack of places to be, resulting from attitudes like yours, Caine. People with time on their hands who feel welcome nowhere and can find nowhere to be where they wont be kicked out is a great recipe for trouble-makers.

THey must act like adults in order to be treated like them. Either way I havent shopped in a mall in over 6 years. The prices are utter crap and its generally crap I dont need.

Did you not notice the qualifying comments?

Foul Mouthed
Disrespectful
Delinquent.

Teens just hanging out and doing the right thing I have no problem with.
Teens being rude, trying to walk over top of you, screaming obscenities and trying to steal your **** as they run rampant around the mall is what I have a problem with.
Teens standing around in the walking areas not wanting to move for a family pushing a stroller along or just trying to make it from one store to the next and shouldn't have to squeeze through a small one man hole because teens want to congregate in the middle of the walk way.

The four major malls in my area have been doing this for years. I fully support moves like this, malls arent playgrounds and day care centers businesses are there to make money not to be babysitters.

Teens standing around in the walking areas not wanting to move for a family pushing a stroller along or just trying to make it from one store to the next and shouldn't have to squeeze through a small one man hole because teens want to congregate in the middle of the walk way.

never have that problem, I just bump into them, hard, and smile and say "excuse me"

I wish they would ban slow people from walmart.

I wish they'd ban slow people from the Internet.

'Course that would probably shut this place down ...

Uh, that would include the cashiers as well?
actually, WalMart has mostly good cashiers, but SOME stores have employees who are slow in every sense of the word...

When we moved to Phoenix in 1985, there were 2 malls within 10 miles of our house. One got closed down due to too many teens and adults not wanting to deal with the riffraff. It got sold a few times, never recovered, and eventually was torn down, an ENTIRE MALL got torn down. The other one started having the same problem, hired a lot of security personnel, and called the cops a lot, and they managed to escape what happened to the other mall.
Since then, we got a new mall very close to our house, plus several large strip mall/shopping centers, but we seldom shop there. WalMart, Sam's Club, Costco and Luke Air Force base are our main shopping points.

I wish they'd ban slow people from the Internet.

'Course that would probably shut this place down ...
certainly the tea baggers, beckerheads, dittoheads, and all the "very" conservatives would be banned...:2razz:

I just want them out of my way so I can be done with that place.

THere is a much easier way to be done with the place than you might imagine.

If you supported businesses that have a stake in the community, instead, the issue of who is or isn't shopping at Walmart would be moot.

THere is a much easier way to be done with the place than you might imagine.

If you supported businesses that have a stake in the community, instead, the issue of who is or isn't shopping at Walmart would be moot.

Mostly I shop on the internet these days. Usually I can save at least 10% after shipping over walmart's prices.

never have that problem, I just bump into them, hard, and smile and say "excuse me"

Until the group of thugs start getting an attitude problem and threatening to kill your kids.

One shouldn't have to deal with **** like that while trying to shop.

Until the group of thugs start getting an attitude problem and threatening to kill your kids.

One shouldn't have to deal with **** like that while trying to shop.

which is why I have a concealed carry permit. I have found that, when forcibly confronted, 99% of these thug punks will back down.

which is why I have a concealed carry permit. I have found that, when forcibly confronted, 99% of these thug punks will back down.

Thats not the point....

Should the average citizen have to do this stupid **** just to go shopping?

No.

And thankfully, many Malls recognize this too.

Thats not the point....

Should the average citizen have to do this stupid **** just to go shopping?

No.

And thankfully, many Malls recognize this too.

I agree 100%, just saying that I plan on being prepared...just in case.

This happens a lot to you?

Back
Top Bottom