• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Banks version of No shoes No shirt No service

Conversely my KelTec Sub2000 (look it up, it was specifically listed in Fienstien's AWB) and the Glock pistol that uses the same 9mm rounds and magazines are kept... in a laptop case.

Do you see yourself hiking to your bank? Lordy.
The main rally point for our group is an outfitter store about 3 blocks from my bank, so there certainly is that possibility. However my response was more aimed at the "who needs a backpack anyway" comment earlier in the thread. It would be a bit like saying "who needs to wear boots all the time anyway?" to which I might reply "anyone who lives where I do and might have a reason to leave the mall." This is mountain country, we are on the Appalachian Trail, and it is not at all unusual to see someone walking along the road or in town with a 30 or 40 pound backpack on. When I see this I don't wonder if they have a bomb, I wonder if they would like a ride to the Huddle House, and if I am in my truck alone I am likely to stop and ask them. Not a lot to worry about, hikers are generally very passive and I am rarely without a pocket knife, a carry pistol or both.

You know, now that I think about it, I HAVE been in my bank with a backpack. When I was issued my Medical Response bag I didn't want to leave it in my truck. It contains about $400 worth of medical supplies that technically belong to GEMA.

I had a pencil neck geek tell me I could not wear my sunglasses in "his" bank. I handed him a business card of a lawyer I use and told him that is who I will be calling from the hospital after I trip and fall from being made to remove my prescription sunglasses.

So what?? I just don't understand it. If you want to use that branch, don't bring a backpack with you. Take off your sunglasses and remove your hat.

In the Chicago area, that restriction is common to see in banks. I understand the need for it. You do, too. There are very few times when I even have to go into a bank. In fact, in the last year, I've probably stepped inside of a bank, ummmmm, never. The idea isn't that you're supposed to leave your backpack outside where someone can steal it, for heaven's sake. The idea is that you're not to bring one with you.

The point is that I work for the University and the university uses this bank, therefore, a lot of hospital employees and medical students use this bank for the convenience and extra benefits. It's a credit union so it is not like there are 50 branches throughout the city. As I mentioned many med students who carry backpacks and others who need them use this branch, how easy is it to not bring backpack. Their car, if they drove to campus, could be a half mile away in the opposite direction.

What would this prevent anyway? They cannot stop me from entering the building with a backpack. I just can't stand at the counter with the back pack. The hallway is 5 feet away, if I wanted to detonate a bomb would 5 feet make a difference?

You know, now that I think about it, I HAVE been in my bank with a backpack. When I was issued my Medical Response bag I didn't want to leave it in my truck. It contains about $400 worth of medical supplies that technically belong to GEMA.

Yes. My point too. However most of us at this bank do not have a car nearby to store it anyway.

I actually go to my bank branch once a month and deposit checks and have gotten to know the folks who work there. My first action would be to ask to see the branch manager to inform her that either the policy changed or she can handle the closing of my accounts right now. That would go along with a promise that I will call all friends and family asking them to withdraw from this bank as well.

Btw, I always have a backpack with me when I'm out and about, including trips to the bank. Sometimes I even wear my old Raiders ballcap and if it's sunny I wear my sunglasses.

sunglasses and hats conceal your appearance.

large carries like backpacks can conceal anything and everything.

Purses and briefcases cannot.

Um, there are some LARGE purses and briefcases out there.

Seems like they should have a check-in place at the door if they have this policy.

Yakkity Yak. If you want to use that bank? Don't bring a backpack with you. Take off your sunglasses and your hat. Just how difficult is that for people?

And if the bank wants my business... maybe it should be more accommodating to its customers. I've used a backpack as a purse in the past. I think the Op has made it very clear that there is a lot of foot traffic; a lot of people hauling books and laptops around; and thus a lot of people with backpacks who can't get to their cars easily.

And as was stated - a bomb outside the door vs inside? not that much difference in damage.

Can I bring a large parcel in? That's not forbidden; that could hold a bomb.

It's knee-jerk rules like this that drive us crazy. It's not about real safety.

I actually go to my bank branch once a month and deposit checks and have gotten to know the folks who work there. My first action would be to ask to see the branch manager to inform her that either the policy changed or she can handle the closing of my accounts right now. That would go along with a promise that I will call all friends and family asking them to withdraw from this bank as well.

I thought about that for about a week. Unfortunately, no other banks can match their fees or come close to providing outstanding loan service. Most importantly, my check is directly deposited there and since my employer uses this bank my funds are available two days earlier than actual payday.

This is what passes for a briefcase here in Oregon. Also doubles as a backpack.

PAEPIDNGDOEOGFKA.jpg

This is what passes for a briefcase here in Oregon. Also doubles as a backpack.

PAEPIDNGDOEOGFKA.jpg

Very similar to mine. I don't know for sure but I bet they would say not allowed. Maybe they shouldn't have posted "no backpacks".

I thought about that for about a week. Unfortunately, no other banks can match their fees or come close to providing outstanding loan service. Most importantly, my check is directly deposited there and since my employer uses this bank my funds are available two days earlier than actual payday.

Thought it might be something like that. Still I would voice my concerns and displeasure to the branch manager and then to the bank's corporate headquarters. Explain that even though you are "stuck" at that branch, family and friends are not, nor are the people you know on Facebook, and you'd be happy to also share your frustration and the bank's response with them.

Used to be, now you are just a number. No matter how long you have been with them.

You may be right since I really haven't attempted to use my "influence" in a long time. But I would think that maybe a smaller bank might be more open to a relationship. Certainly Wells Fargo, BOA, Chase, JP Morgan type banks don't care if you die in the lobby.

Also, make sure to slip in that we learn in retail management that customers will share their dissatisfaction with a service with an average of seven people, their satisfaction with only three. Becomes a snowball. :mrgreen:

Thought it might be something like that. Still I would voice my concerns and displeasure to the branch manager and then to the bank's corporate headquarters. Explain that even though you are "stuck" at that branch, family and friends are not, nor are the people you know on Facebook, and you'd be happy to also share your frustration and the bank's response with them.

I'm always afraid I'll over express my dislike of this policy (i sometimes get overly animated face to face) and all those past loans with low, low rates would suddenly become harder to get.

Over ten years ago I noticed in Italy and other European countries that they often had a bullet-proof separated area with secure lockers for storing your bags etc. before entering the actual bank. They also had machine gun armed guards guarding many government buildings and financial industry buildings.

I would say if you live somewhere that unreasonably restrictive it might be time to move. you know, the biggest danger after a disaster is not the disaster itself, it is people who don't know how to deal with it. People who decide to ban backpacks because they are afraid of bombs are providing themselves a false sense of security. These are potentially dangerous people.

Different people carry different things depending on what they are likely to need. Some people carry a lot of stuff, and a backpack is good for that. Here is a list of some of the items in my truck:

A jack and a lug wrench
A machete
2 lighters
3 liters of water
About 6 meal replacement bars
A rain poncho
A jacket
A portable 2meter/ 440 radio

I've never neede to use the jack.

I'm always afraid I'll over express my dislike of this policy (i sometimes get overly animated face to face) and all those past loans with low, low rates would suddenly become harder to get.

I sure understand, that's tough to navigate a complaint where you don't want to end up burning bridges. I typically discuss the issue with myself beforehand to set some of what I want to say and sort of doublecheck to make sure it's more than a momentary complaint that could be due to other factors (no lunch, tiredness, etc.). I always start off by telling them how long I've been a LOYAL customer and how much I enjoy their service normally (pick something you think they do very well to compliment). And, very important, make sure they know this complaint isn't personal, in fact you like them personally very much, but that the policy obstructs what is normally a great business relationship. I find it really helps to continually throughout the conversation repeat, "I really have to say again that this is in no way about you personally or the good service you are giving me right now, this is solely about the policy".

Local banks here have signs regarding sunglasses, hats, and 'hoodies', but I've yet to see backpacks mentioned. I often wear my sunglasses inside and ignore the signs. No one has said anything... yet.

I guess the no hoodie rule means Mark Zuckerberg would have to find another bank, eh?

Even though I do not like that either, that's far easier to take care of than leaving a backpack with hundreds of dollars of medical supplies and books or the parents with their baby supplies. Next, in my bank, they'll ban strollers too. That will be convenient being that the bank resides in part of the children's hospital.

Don't ask me, I haven't stepped foot inside a bank in years. Everything is either electronic or via ATM and the ATM thing is extremely rare.

So, what's the point of this thread? You have a lot of options if you don't like the policy; you've said why you don't want to utilize any of them. So, you're going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

So, what's the point of this thread? You have a lot of options if you don't like the policy; you've said why you don't want to utilize any of them. So, you're going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

!

Back
Top Bottom