• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bank of America fined 2 million dollars for race discrimination

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This story is very surprising. I wonder how this could be happening in such a big company?

Bank of America has been fined $2.2 million for discriminating against black job candidates over two decades.
The U.S. Department of Labor has ordered Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) to pay up after finding that over 1,100 African-American job seekers faced discrimination at the company's offices in Charlotte, North Carolina, at various times between 1993 and 2005.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/24/new...aign=Feed:+rss/money_topstories+(Top+Stories)

2.2 million dollars is basically just a warning for Bank of America they probably make that much money in two minutes.

When I worked for Bank of America and hired people (at Corporate in Charlotte), I never hired a white candidate. Knowing the culture at BoA, I find this difficult to believe.

Last edited:
Considering the number of people affected and the time elapsed, $2.2 million is a tiny amount.

When I worked for Bank of America and hired people (at Corporate in Charlotte), I never hired a white candidate. Knowing the culture at BoA, I find this difficult to believe.

Maybe these people applied at a time when BOA had their quota of blacks but needed other minorities to fill those quota's.

Not enough information in the article to explain what was really going on.

This story is very surprising. I wonder
how this could be happening in such a big company?

Bank of America has been fined $2.2 million for discriminating against black job candidates over two decades.
The U.S. Department of Labor has ordered Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) to pay up after finding that over 1,100 African-American job seekers faced discrimination at the company's offices in Charlotte, North Carolina, at various times between 1993 and 2005.

Bank of America fined $2 million for race discrimination - Sep. 24, 2013

Its bull sh**.

Just like "redlining" was BS.

A false narrative set up so wealth could be redistributed into the pockets of Democrats and people like Angello Mozillo.

Its bull sh**.

Just like "redlining" was BS.

A false narrative set up so wealth could be redistributed into the pockets of Democrats and people like Angello Mozillo.

Read the court documents and reviewed, the evidence, did you?

Maybe these people applied at a time when BOA had their quota of blacks but needed other minorities to fill those quota's.

Not enough information in the article to explain what was really going on.

That's just ignorant.

That's just ignorant.

About as ignorant as saying someone is wrong for not hiring a black person, regardless of actual qualifications of other applicants, is racist but the insistence the black person be hired over other races, again regardless of qualifications, is not racist?

Any use of race as selection criteria is racist. The company should be able to hire any qualified candidate applying for a position based upon qualifications and interview without regard to race. Saying someone or a company is racist simply because they don't have X amount of race Y without considering the other applicants qualifications and how they did in interview is promoting racism.

The judge overseeing the case also ordered the bank to offer jobs to 10 former applicants when appropriate positions become available.

What the heck is up with this? The law can tell you that you MUST hire someone - are they going to prevent you from firing them in the future if things don't work out?

A lawsuit is one thing, but forcing you to take someone on as an employee is another.

About as ignorant as saying someone is wrong for not hiring a black person, regardless of actual qualifications of other applicants, is racist but the insistence the black person be hired over other races, again regardless of qualifications, is not racist?

Any use of race as selection criteria is racist. The company should be able to hire any qualified candidate applying for a position based upon qualifications and interview without regard to race. Saying someone or a company is racist simply because they don't have X amount of race Y without considering the other applicants qualifications and how they did in interview is promoting racism.

Yeah and in this alternative universe where this happened, I'd be mad about the court ruling.

Read the court documents and reviewed, the evidence, did you?

Charges based on a false narrative are still BS charges.

The Obama administration is very creative in finding a way for more of there constituency to get there hands in the till on someone elses money, I mean look at how the Farmers made out, ect ect.ect. I think the mob is jealous & could probably take lessons from this guy on how to steal others money, just get elected and ..... well there are to many examples to list.

Back
Top Bottom