• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ban on posting Images on Thread?

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Okay how many of you guys are having a healthy debate when all of the sudden BOOM! A bunch of Iraqi prisoners being tortured shows up on your thread with bags over their heads. Now I am strongly against torture in all forms but why the hell do they need to prove the point a hundred times? I've already seen pictures of them and they were quite disturbing and I don't want them popping up all over the place where I least expect. Oerhaps a rule should be made that images should be linked only.

FinnMacCool said:
Okay how many of you guys are having a healthy debate when all of the sudden BOOM! A bunch of Iraqi prisoners being tortured shows up on your thread with bags over their heads. Now I am strongly against torture in all forms but why the hell do they need to prove the point a hundred times? I've already seen pictures of them and they were quite disturbing and I don't want them popping up all over the place where I least expect. Oerhaps a rule should be made that images should be linked only.
There is nothing in the Forum rules that expressly prohibits images. However, repeated posting of large or numerous graphic images tends to ruin the continuity of a thread and could possibly be viewed as 'disruptive behavior'.

When you come across this situation, please click the
report.gif
'report post' icon located in the lower left-hand corner of every post. Explain the situation in your report and a Moderator will take a look and make a determination.

Your input is appreciated, and your link suggestion will be brought to the attention of the Moderator Team.

Tashah
Moderator Team Member

PS. The work-around solution is to turn images 'off' in your Control Panel.

I have put some consideration about not allowing folks with less than 15 posts to post images. This has not been presented to the mods, so it is not official.

Would something like this curb the appetite from posting them?

vauge said:
I have put some consideration about not allowing folks with less than 15 posts to post images. This has not been presented to the mods, so it is not official.

Would something like this curb the appetite from posting them?

How about changing "15" to "357,000"?...God, I hate that crap....

Look at this...right in the middle of a debate...:(

Ban the images I say. Totaly uncalled for and distracting from the debate. If you can't make your point in text then join the damn circus as a clown. What this place needs is some culture. Here, let me help...

Attachments

• Crash test 1. 131.JPG
    Crash test 1. 131.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 27
teacher said:
Ban the images I say. Totaly uncalled for and distracting from the debate. If you can't make your point in text then join the damn circus as a clown. What this place needs is some culture. Here, let me help...

Have you ever heard of the phrase; "You're not helping!"?...:doh

Dunno. IMO, eliminating images in posts circumvents Free Speech.

When folks do that, we should - as a community - let them know that the activity isn't necessary or wanted. Eventually they will look elsewhere to be creative when they are offtopic.

For instance, Billo used to go nuts with images in posts. We let him know as a community that it isn't wanted. He has toned it way down and realized that it was hindering rather than helping his cause. (sorry to use you as an example Billo)

If it becomes detrimental - then mods have the power to deal with them within the rules.
Tashah above is very right. If there are concerns - please report the post.

vauge said:
Dunno. IMO, eliminating images in posts circumvents Free Speech.

When folks do that, we should - as a community - let them know that the activity isn't necessary or wanted. Eventually they will look elsewhere to be creative when they are offtopic.

For instance, Billo used to go nuts with images in posts. We let him know as a community that it isn't wanted. He has toned it way down and realized that it was hindering rather than helping his cause. (sorry to use you as an example Billo)

If it becomes detrimental - then mods have the power to deal with them within the rules.
Tashah above is very right. If there are concerns - please report the post.

How about just providing the link? Why force crap down members' throats if they don't want to see it when they can lead those who DO want to see it in the right direction?...

No free speech issue if they point members to what they want them to see...The forum members themselves should make the decision whether or not to follow the link...

What about threads where images are relivant?

* anti-bush photos
* member pics thread

My idears obviously are not in stone. Plus, this would be a mod decision.
Hopefully more members will chime in with their thoughts on this.

Should we remove pics in signatures as well? (we were gunna at one time)

*chime*
Pictures don't bother me.

In fact, I still laugh everytime I think of the picture cnredd posted of Al Gore breathing fire. He had his reasons.

vauge said:

He he. vauge said Billo.

And are we going to ban pictures from the abortion threads too?

Iriemon said:
And are we going to ban pictures from the abortion threads too?

They post pictures there?:(

It does seem sort of radical to disallow pictures/images, this would be the first forum I have visited to have done so. Just linking does not have the effect the author intends to have in some cases, i.e, one does not know if anyone has chosen to click the link, and thus missed the point. It would be a sad day for me, should the forum be darkened by the removal of the images, they bring such light to the discussion. I can also see the reason some are offended, some images are inappropriate, or just over done, but hey.......that's why you have moderators. I actually learned how to insert images on this very forum, and I must say, I have thoroughly enjoyed it.;)

teacher said:
Go ahead.....

I forgot about your amusing cartoons, just for that reason alone, we can never ban images.;)

Amusing. . .? Everyone likes it when he does it in the basement to nazis but when he starts throwing it around on the regular forums its just disruptive.

Also I think that it would be best to link images rather then completely ban them. You should at least have a choice if you want to see something disgusting, sickening, disturibing or what not. I know they are trying to get a reaction out of people but its quite unwanted many-a-time.

I am all for it, if it means we also ban the advertisement at the top of the page as well.:doh

FinnMacCool said:
Amusing. . .? Everyone likes it when he does it in the basement to nazis but when he starts throwing it around on the regular forums its just disruptive.

Also I think that it would be best to link images rather then completely ban them. You should at least have a choice if you want to see something disgusting, sickening, disturibing or what not. I know they are trying to get a reaction out of people but its quite unwanted many-a-time.

Agreed...Here is a recent example...no topic...nothing debatable...just an image meant to insult...:roll:

This is in the thread "U.S. Military Covertly Pays to Run Stories in Iraqi Press"...

This image has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand...It is ONLY meant to inflame those with the President's support...If it is in a thread meant for that purpose(i.e. - Anti-Bush photos), I'm all for it...

But to throw this up on a public forum meant for debate, in my eyes, is unacceptable...It may be funny to some, but so would a picture of Steve Martin in his white suit circa 1978...What's the freakin' point?!?!?...Do it where it is intended, not wherever you FEEL like it...

I haven't Moderated it due to no specific rules...But up to me, I want it "on record" that I find this crap disruptive and inflammatory...and most of all; killing the flow of debate...:(

The problem I have with the post linked above is that there is no content.

The post itself should not be censored. But, without content it is a disposable post. If you had pics turned off, you would not have seen this pic. The post would be mute to users not viewing images in posts. The mods could delete it and it have no bearing on the full thread. Obviously the original poster of the pic lacked the decency to add anything new to the discussion.

Forum rules said:
If you are focused on contributing to the community, you will not have to be concerned with being a disruption.

This poster did not "contribute" to the community with this pic only post and it can be considered a distruption. However, if the pic has some extra insight and *content* such as an opinion - I would consider it a contribution rather than a trolling vile of crap.

Just my take had I originally come acrossed it.

vauge said:
The problem I have with the post linked above is that there is no content.

The post itself should not be censored. But, without content it is a disposable post. If you had pics turned off, you would not have seen this pic. The post would be mute to users not viewing images in posts. The mods could delete it and it have no bearing on the full thread. Obviously the original poster of the pic lacked the decency to add anything new to the discussion.

This poster did not "contribute" to the community with this pic only post and it can be considered a distruption. However, if the pic has some extra insight and *content* such as an opinion - I would consider it a contribution rather than a trolling vile of crap.

Just my take had I originally come acrossed it.

Moderator's Warning:
Name removed

There is an old addage. A picture is worth a thousand words. Therefore that which was posted may imply much more than had already been stated verbally. Delete it as you will and show disregard to freedom of expression.l I realize that this is your right as this is your forum. However, remember the implications of the virtue of our country and what exactly they are supposed to stand for. Just suggestions... not demands.

Last edited by a moderator:
cnredd said:
Agreed...Here is a recent example...no topic...nothing debatable...just an image meant to insult...:roll:

This is in the thread "U.S. Military Covertly Pays to Run Stories in Iraqi Press"...

This image has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand...It is ONLY meant to inflame those with the President's support...If it is in a thread meant for that purpose(i.e. - Anti-Bush photos), I'm all for it...

But to throw this up on a public forum meant for debate, in my eyes, is unacceptable...It may be funny to some, but so would a picture of Steve Martin in his white suit circa 1978...What's the freakin' point?!?!?...Do it where it is intended, not wherever you FEEL like it...

I haven't Moderated it due to no specific rules...But up to me, I want it "on record" that I find this crap disruptive and inflammatory...and most of all; killing the flow of debate...:(

With all due respect your complaints seem somewhat subjective. The intention behind the posting of such an article is not only creative and clever and sincere... but it is obviously highly disagreeable to you. Therefore let us not play partisan games in terms of the freedom to express oneself through creativity. Do what you must and realize that the undertone of your intention does speak volumes about your character.

Conflict said:
There is an old addage. A picture is worth a thousand words. Therefore that which was posted may imply much more than had already been stated verbally. Delete it as you will and show disregard to freedom of expression.l I realize that this is your right as this is your forum. However, remember the implications of the virtue of our country and what exactly they are supposed to stand for. Just suggestions... not demands.
I did not post your name as you would equally consider it a personal attack. Which, by your standards has proven that is all you have been able to do. Next time, I respectfully ask that you do not post my name.

Your pic did not get deleted, so your argument is mute. And, obviously you did not read my entire post. You lacked *content*. A pic may or may not contain content. Yours did not. I can take a pic from anywhere and call it my own but the value added is nullified unless I contribute my oringinal thoughts and opinions on it.
Since there was no opinion attached to the pic - deleting it would in no way undermine *your* freedom of expression as you didn't have an opinion "expressed" with it.

Hence the idea of debate and discussion. I don't care what your opinion is; I care if you took the time to form one and express it. A simple sentence such as "This pic proves my point about... blah" is all that it would take. I value your opinion and love freedom of speech, else I would not be here and this forum would not exist.

The difference with what teacher is doing is that it forms an opinion inside the pic itself - original content.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom