• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ban on furs

Would you support such legislation in your own country?

• Total voters
Can anyone explain why the environmentally sensitive westerners, with their drive to use as much of the whale as they possibly could, turned away from whales as a resource and started making pets out of them?

There's two reasons.

1) Petroleum was a better resource for energy needs, which dropped the bottom out of the whaling industry, and,

2) Whales were getting hard to find.

Once again, economics came into play. There's absolutely no reason to believe that Eskimos are any different from the rest of us.

One doesn't have to be an animal rights advocate to believe that the fur industry is an abomination. I'm no Ingrid Newkirk (my cats work for me, dammit), but the fur industry at this point in time serves no worthwhile purpose. I hope we will someday develop a conscience about animals in the U.S.

I grew up on a cattle farm. The thing about cattle is that EVERY SINGLE PART of that animal is used for something....food, dogfood, leather, other products. But fur animals are killed, skinned, and left to rot, not to mention confined in stinking tiny cages their entire lives. It's a sickening industry.

Many people confuse animal rights, with animal welfare. You apparantly are more of an animal welfare advocate.

Many people confuse animal rights, with animal welfare. You apparantly are more of an animal welfare advocate.

Absolutely. Animals are not our equals, which is why we have a responsibility to care for them in humane ways, even if we plan to eat them at some point.

Boys, Skin em if ya Got em! Go on lets git er dun now!

What about the traditional hunting practices of the American people in the United States? Something wrong with those people, they can't be shown the same special considerations as others?

I was just citing the Inuit as an example... and there ARE Inuit in the United States...

Back
Top Bottom