• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ban on ‘Excessive’ Gas Prices Heading for House Vote

aociswundumho

Capitalist Pig
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

The legislation being brought for a vote, the Consumer Fuel Price Gouging Prevention Act, also would give the Federal Trade Commission the power to issue penalties for price gouging, according to a summary of the legislation.

When this fails, next comes price controls and pretty soon you will be waiting in line for 4 hours to buy gas at a "fair" price.

government solutions.jpg

Can the government sue state governments for price gouging?

For example in South Carolina a pack of Pall Mall red 100s is around $5 bucks a pack and in say Milkwaukee they're around $9 bucks a pack.

So, let me see if I got this right?
You think companies charging massively excessive rates for electric and gas is fine and think trying to stop it from happening is wrong?

Well, that's certainly an opinion.

You think companies charging massively excessive rates for electric and gas is fine and think trying to stop it from happening is wrong?

Him (I think) like me lived through the 1970s.

BTW how about just drill more, be pro pipeline and stop the lefts 40 year war on coal?

Him (I think) like me lived through the 1970s.

BTW how about just drill more, be pro pipeline and stop the lefts 40 year war on coal?

Oh, ok so screw the environment then?
Just so you know, it was Margeret Thatcher (who US conservatives seem to love as the Iron Lady) who destroyed the UK coal industry unless you somehow now think She's a crazy leftist?

Oh, ok so screw the environment then?
Just so you know, it was Margeret Thatcher (who US conservatives seem to love as the Iron Lady) who destroyed the UK coal industry unless you somehow now think She's a crazy leftist?
I don't care about the UK, So in your world with the U.S. having all these regulations and advanced air scrubbers (used to work for a Portuguese green company in South Carolina milling up trees into pellets and shipped to Portugal to be used as green energy fuel) is bad but China and third world countries burning coal is good?

And what is the point of living if the ideal progressive agenda is for us to run around naked, live in mud hutts, hunt Buffalo and sing "give peace a chance?

I don't care about the UK, So in your world with the U.S. having all these regulations and advanced air scrubbers (used to work for a Portuguese green company in South Carolina milling up trees into pellets and shipped to Portugal to be used as green energy fuel) is bad but China and third world countries burning coal is good?

And what is the point of living if the ideal progressive agenda is for us to run around naked, live in mud hutts, hunt Buffalo and sing "give peace a chance?

Please show me anywhere where I've said China burning coal is good.

So, you honestly think going green with energy will end in you all living in mud huts? Ok then.

You do also know that the major oil companies are ploughing vast sums of money into renewables. Are they a bunch of leftish trash now as well?

When supply goes down and demand goes up, prices rise. Price caps generally create shortages. That's not really so much "an opinion" as it is "economics".

This is not a good idea. In a situation like this, the answer is to find ways to free up supply.

A dpa order might be a better approach.

Please show me anywhere where I've said China burning coal is good.

So, you honestly think going green with energy will end in you all living in mud huts? Ok then.

You do also know that the major oil companies are ploughing vast sums of money into renewables. Are they a bunch of leftish trash now as well?
Oil companies pouring money into green energy today? A pittance today compared to what they used to spend on solar and wind R&D back in the 1970s Through early 1990s ( they started to get out of it, no money to be made)

Also you never read any of Naomi Kliens books and her stupid environmental social justice?

Excessive profits from an essential product.
What makes a profit "excessive". And what about the huge losses oil companies had early in the pandemic?

Gas pricing and the behavior of oil companies given that it is a boom-and-bust industry is massively complex and not suited to simplistic solutions like price caps.

This article is a good starting point on the topic:

When this fails, next comes price controls and pretty soon you will be waiting in line for 4 hours to buy gas at a "fair" price.

All of this is due to poor decisions regarding the free market; allowing environmental "idealism" to guide/cloud economic policy.

That's led to the current Administration's push for policies preventing oil, coal, and other natural resource exploitation in the USA in the name of "saving the planet." Meanwhile letting "developing nations" like China, India, and many others have a "free pass" thanks to "SJW guilt."

We have some of the most complex environmental protection laws on the books as is, we don't need to be the world's savior on our own.

What we really need is to unlock our access to all the vast natural resources we have available to us, while at the very same time use our "brain power" to develop alternative sources of energy, food, and other goods production.

Idealism is all well and good, but it doesn't feed, clothe, house, or allow the movement of resources to supply needs and wants.

What makes a profit "excessive". And what about the huge losses oil companies had early in the pandemic?

Gas pricing and the behavior of oil companies given that it is a boom-and-bust industry is massively complex and not suited to simplistic solutions like price caps.

This article is a good starting point on the topic:
Cry me a river

Last edited:
It's not the oil companies that set the prices we pay at the pump. If we can establish that the oil companies are colluding to jack up prices there already laws on the books to go after them, I would think.

I think this is just a law to show that the Dems are doing something - anything - about the price of gas, but they are truly and well ****ed right now. It's not Biden's fault, but I would actually be stealing a republican idea - like at least encourage blue state governors to suspend fuel taxes for a month or two while simultaneously trying to fix the supply chain.

All of this is due to poor decisions regarding the free market; allowing environmental "idealism" to guide/cloud economic policy.

That's led to the current Administration's push for policies preventing oil, coal, and other natural resource exploitation in the USA in the name of "saving the planet." Meanwhile letting "developing nations" like China, India, and many others have a "free pass" thanks to "SJW guilt."

We have some of the most complex environmental protection laws on the books as is, we don't need to be the world's savior on our own.

What we really need is to unlock our access to all the vast natural resources we have available to us, while at the very same time use our "brain power" to develop alternative sources of energy, food, and other goods production.

Idealism is all well and good, but it doesn't feed, clothe, house, or allow the movement of resources to supply needs and wants.

Bullshit.. This is a DIRECT result of ending the export ban in 2015... Shall we provide quotes from the GQP on how this would benefit consumers? We were warned that this would expose US consumers to the major fluctuations in the global market and here we are...

It's not the oil companies that set the prices we pay at the pump. If we can establish that the oil companies are colluding to jack up prices there already laws on the books to go after them, I would think.

I think this is just a law to show that the Dems are doing something - anything - about the price of gas, but they are truly and well ****ed right now. It's not Biden's fault, but I would actually be stealing a republican idea - like at least encourage blue state governors to suspend fuel taxes for a month or two while simultaneously trying to fix the supply chain.
How come Biden doesn't sue states like California for price gouging at the pumps?

After all the state gas tax in California is $.51 cents a gallon compared to Mississippi $.18 cents a gallon

i'm still waiting for the "free market" to fix the baby formula problem (as republicans/conservatives blame the CentGov and scream for them to do something).

i'm still waiting for the "free market" to fix the baby formula problem (as republicans/conservatives blame the CentGov and scream for them to do something).

My understanding is the problem stems
from continued supply chain problems and a massive recall. It’s not a problem the market can fix. Or the government for that matter.

My understanding is the problem stems
from continued supply chain problems and a massive recall. It’s not a problem the market can fix. Or the government for that matter.
Which means the free market created the problem.

Back
Top Bottom