• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ban Confiscate And Outlaw The Most Dangerous Item Owned By Millions Of Americans

TheHammer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
Texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
94% of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
74% of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.
Teen Driver Cell Phone Statistics

11 teens die every day as a result of texting while driving.
According to a AAA poll, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.
A teen driver with only one additional passenger doubles the risk of getting into a fatal car accident. With two or more passengers, they are 5x as likely.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html

The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
Texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

According to a AAA poll, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.
A teen driver with only one additional passenger doubles the risk of getting into a fatal car accident. With two or more passengers, they are 5x as likely.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html

Do we confiscate the phones, the cars, or both of the people who insist on texting while driving?

In Kalifornia, leftists in Sacramento were talking about outlawing tobacco possession until age 21. Since driving kills more teens than a smoke, I think the leftists should ban anyone from driving until age 21.

In Kalifornia, leftists in Sacramento were talking about outlawing tobacco possession until age 21. Since driving kills more teens than a smoke, I think the leftists should ban anyone from driving until age 21.

Insurance institute
Year deaths crashes motor vehicles
2012 33,782 31,006 45,960
2013 32,894 30,203 45,102
2014 32,675 29,989 44,858

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including nearly 42,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.Dec 11, 2015

CDC fact sheet

Death from tobacco is just slower. Teens don't die of it until they're well out of their teens.

Do we confiscate the phones, the cars, or both of the people who insist on texting while driving?

We confiscate the people and put them in jail, imo.

It's worse than drunk driving, which itself isn't punished harshly enough. (And I'm one who is generally for more lenient punishments in general or at least, decriminalization of most minor offenses and conversion to civil infractions with fines, etc.)

It's worse than drunk driving, which itself isn't punished harshly enough. (And I'm one who is generally for more lenient punishments in general or at least, decriminalization of most minor offenses and conversion to civil infractions with fines, etc.)

There is certainly a rationale for that. They are at least as dangerous as the criminals who actually are in jail.

Really? You think that's a valid comparison?

You're aware that the effects of smoking tend to be delayed until later in life, right?

You as much as touch your cell here and it's a first time fine of $800. You can tune your radio, roll down windows, eat a McPoison but touch that cell and we gatcha!

Next is texting while walking. One elderly person meets concrete, the lawsuits start...

There is a simple solution. Mandate all vehicles have cell-phone jammers installed that are active whenever the vehicle is moving.

You're aware that the effects of smoking tend to be delayed until later in life, right?

I'm being a smart a$$. Leftists would never ban under 21 driving. They need all that gas tax money to keep the lazy supplied with EBT cards.

I'm being a smart a$$. Leftists would never ban under 21 driving. They need all that gas tax money to keep the lazy supplied with EBT cards.

Yes, yes, keep lashing out at those dumb lazy poors and then turn around and ask why they wont vote Republican.

Yes, yes, keep lashing out at those dumb lazy poors and then turn around and ask why they wont vote Republican.

"Lashing out?" Since when is the truth "lashing out?" LMAO. I couldn't care less if they voted GOP.

"Lashing out?" Since when is the truth "lashing out?" LMAO. I couldn't care less if they voted GOP.

Telling the truth, eh?

And I suppose you think Michael Moore accurately presents your beliefs too?

I expect "equal protection" of the laws. When they come for our guns, they better take the phones first.

Let's ban leftist!

What will come of this ?

Auto braking technology and or crash avoidance technology will be mandated on all new automobiles soon

Until then, open a body shop, theyre cleaning up on all these slow speed collisions in traffic

Insurance institute

CDC fact sheet

Death from tobacco is just slower. Teens don't die of it until they're well out of their teens.

How do you explain the 90 year old that smoked 3 pcks a day for 75 years? Even tobacco doesn't kill every user. What about the gluten who eats themselves to death? Where does government authoritarianism trump freedom? I say it's only when somebody "ELSE'S" rights are being violated. Driving while texting is a violation of everybody else's rights on the same highway.

Wasn't it that Democrat Slick Willy Clinton that made them go to work for their welfare?

Oh no, this will only encourage their public transportation schemes.

Perhaps it should begin with widely broadcast public service announcements about the problem. This would be a good use of public money.

You're aware that people over the age of 21 tend to make more rational decisions about their health than those under 21, right?

I expect "equal protection" of the laws. When they come for our guns, they better take the phones first.

Since no one is coming for the guns, I think it's safe to assume that no one is coming for the phones either.

Dying from smoking is a great thing. They pay into SS and never collect. A winner!

1. How do you explain the 90 year old that smoked 3 pcks a day for 75 years? 2. Even tobacco doesn't kill every user. 3. What about the gluten who eats themselves to death? Where does government authoritarianism trump freedom? 4. I say it's only when somebody "ELSE'S" rights are being violated. Driving while texting is a violation of everybody else's rights on the same highway.

1. The average non smoker lives about ten years longer than the smoker. Those are averages. There are outliers, of course, some who live to old age despite smoking, others who die at 40.
2. Pretty close though
3. That's a bad idea, too.
4. I agree, at least in the case of adults. Should teens be allowed to purchase alcohol as well? Why should tobacco, which is more harmful than even the illegal drugs, be given special consideration? I think all drugs should be legal for adults, but not for teens.

and yes, I'm aware that the law considers 18 year olds to be adults. That' wrong, too. The only reason the government decided that is so that they can send them off to war.

There is a simple solution. Mandate all vehicles have cell-phone jammers installed that are active whenever the vehicle is moving.

:thumbs: As long as it doesn't jam the radio, too...that's not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom