• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ban Confiscate And Outlaw The Most Dangerous Item Owned By Millions Of Americans

The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
Texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
94% of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
74% of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.
Teen Driver Cell Phone Statistics

11 teens die every day as a result of texting while driving.
According to a AAA poll, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.
A teen driver with only one additional passenger doubles the risk of getting into a fatal car accident. With two or more passengers, they are 5x as likely.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html

I realize the intent of this thread...... but .... Banning cell phones would get my support. Those new fangled doodads are bane on society and amount to no damn good.

I saw a photo of a group of teens at a "party" where about 20 of them were in somebody's basement sitting around and every single one of them was on their cell phone.

Once I was in a grocery store aisle and this was more or less the conversation of a man on a cell phone:

MAN: was that corn or peas I was suppose to get?
MAN: canned or frozen or on the cob?
MAN: what size?
MAN: regular or cream style?
MAN: you want the cheap store brand or the one with the green giant on it?
MAN: you get a cheaper price when you buy three - should I get three or just the one can?
MAN: I can get a can mixed with peas - want that and we can have both?
MAN: is there suppose to be a expiration date on the can?

and that is only the part I can remember and I am thankful he was not on speaker phone so I could hear the other end.

The End of Days must certainly be near.

Your risk by letting her go was that she would later claim that you backed into her. Women lie a lot and very well pretty much about everything.

That is a possibility, but it never happened, and this kid was like 17 or something and was pretty shaken up.

She could lie all day to her Dad, and even as he is agreeing with her, he would know she was full of it.

My solid iron trailer hitch cut a perfect swathe across her hood.

Sometimes you have to let the situation sort itself out.

PS...Yes, sometimes women lie a lot, but no one on the planet lies more than a man trying to pick up a woman in a club. I know, because I was one of the biggest offenders.

There is a place named Christie's in Newport, RI where all the gold diggers go. All it took was a suit from Goodwill, a Lexus key fob, and a few $50's front & back over a wad of $5's. BINGO.

Last edited:
That is a possibility, but this kid was like 17 or something and was pretty shaken up.

She could lie all day to her Dad, and even as he is agreeing with her, he would know she was full of it.

My solid iron trailer hitch cut a perfect swathe across her hood.

Sometimes you have to let the situation sort itself out.

You are a better man that I am.

You are a better man that I am.

Not so much. I am sure there might be other situations where you would be the better man.

I could tell this kid was a wreck, and she still had temporary tags on here little zoom mobile.

You just knew someone else was paying for it.

Why would any parent guy a smart phone for a dumb teenager is beyond my comprehension.

A flip phone?!!!!

What's wrong with a flip phone?

But I won't be able to text easily!!!!

Good. That's exactly why you will get a flip phone for emergencies and to let us know when you will be late for dinner.

You suck and I hate you!!!!

We love you and that's why a flip phone. If you buy one, we will take it away.

You will go to my room?!!!!

Yes, and it's not your room. It's ours and you are merely a rent-free roommate with no ownership rights. Now go to "your" room and do your homework or clean it up.

I hate you!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
Texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
94% of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
74% of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.
Teen Driver Cell Phone Statistics

11 teens die every day as a result of texting while driving.
According to a AAA poll, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.
A teen driver with only one additional passenger doubles the risk of getting into a fatal car accident. With two or more passengers, they are 5x as likely.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html

You sir, are no libertarian if your first thought is to "ban" something. Shame.

Cell jammers in cars won't work either. Is it really right to punish all the passengers for the sake of the driver? What if the passenger is navigating with their phone? What if someone in the back seat wants to use it?

This is something that really can't be avoided effectively without punishing those who don't use their phone. As FearandLoathing said, it's not right to ban cell phone use, but then allow all the other crap that goes on in a car. Why ban cell phones, when people are still free to put on makeup, fiddle with their radios, punch in coordinates on a GPS screen, etc.

I would say the more fair thing to do is to deny insurance coverage to any driver caught using their phone. They could tell whether or not the driver was using their phone at the time of an accident. The insurance policy would provide liability and medical to the victim of the accident. However, it could be said that the driver was not operating their vehicle as prescribed by law (and the policy), so no coverage for you. You total your car? You'll be able to text all you want on the bus. Your car requires $3k worth of repairs? Start saving up, snowflake. You brought this on yourself.

Of course we can always go after the car manufacturers so they stop putting these distractions in their cars. How many commercials have we seen where the selling point of a damn car is freakin' WIFI? This is enabling this sort of behavior. How about we quit trying to make our cars into little versions of our homes, and get back to treating them like heavy machinery that gets us from point A to point B?

Why would any parent guy a smart phone for a dumb teenager is beyond my comprehension.
Dumb parents that are just as addicted to their smart phones.

A flip phone?!!!!
Do they even make those anymore? How will their little snowflake flood the internet with selfie after selfie after selfie?
Hell, you'd probably be arrested for child abuse, because all your snowflakes little friends have smart phones, and she doesn't.

Dumb parents that are just as addicted to their smart phones.
Do they even make those anymore? How will their little snowflake flood the internet with selfie after selfie after selfie?
Hell, you'd probably be arrested for child abuse, because all your snowflakes little friends have smart phones, and she doesn't.

How about this: if we catch your ass driving and texting, you will never drive again. Ever.

Would this work?

That stuff is my no means a given, though. I know a few long term smokers, including my parents. Don't get me wrong, I get that it's a significant health risk and wish the folks would give it up. Maybe they can just switch to marijuana if it ever becomes legal here (I'm in Texas, so fat chance). I hear that's downright good for you.

It's far less harmful than tobacco.

Perhaps it should begin with widely broadcast public service announcements about the problem. This would be a good use of public money.

I'd prefer to be able to shoot people whom I see texting and driving under Stand Your Ground.

I'd prefer to be able to shoot people whom I see texting and driving under Stand Your Ground.

I can empathize with your frustration, especially on route 128 :), but I think that's a bit harsh and vigilantism goes against our basic legal structures.

Back
Top Bottom