• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ballot drop boxes bypass the post office

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is a good idea if they can place enough of them securely.

Ballot drop boxes seen as a way to bypass the post office

PHOENIX (AP) — With the Trump administration openly trying to undermine mail-in voting this fall, some election officials around the country are hoping to bypass the Postal Service by installing lots of ballot drop boxes in libraries, community centers and other public places.

Such boxes have been used with success for several years in states like Oregon, Washington and Colorado that rely largely or entirely on ballots that must be sent in. But their use is being expanded because of the coronavirus outbreak and, more recently, concerns about the post office’s ability to do its job.

We use these boxes, we have them scattered all over. They are great, and I always use the drop box instead of mailing back. Mostly because there's one outside the DMV that's on my way to work, lol.

Colorado, man, they just want you to vote. They make this **** so easy.

Interestingly, PA wanted to add more drop boxes and Trump Admin sued them.

We use these boxes, we have them scattered all over. They are great, and I always use the drop box instead of mailing back. Mostly because there's one outside the DMV that's on my way to work, lol.

Colorado, man, they just want you to vote. They make this **** so easy.

Interestingly, PA wanted to add more drop boxes and Trump Admin sued them.

I wonder why????

PHOENIX (AP) — With the Trump administration openly trying to undermine mail-in voting this fall, some election officials around the country are hoping to bypass the Postal Service by installing lots of ballot drop boxes in libraries, community centers and other public places.

Such boxes have been used with success for several years in states like Oregon, Washington and Colorado that rely largely or entirely on ballots that must be sent in. But their use is being expanded because of the coronavirus outbreak and, more recently, concerns about the post office’s ability to do its job.

Unfortunately in Ohio, LaRose ruled you cannot do this even though it is one of the most sensible things to do.

Unfortunately in Ohio, LaRose ruled you cannot do this even though it is one of the most sensible things to do.

It is, in fact, one of the most sensible things to do. I don't understand why folk wouldn't consider this, particularly in a pandemic where the USPS is being undercut by Trump and Co.

Trust me, Trumpets will vandalize them or stuff them with fake ballots.

He's a typical Republican toady. A low turn out must favor the GOP this cycle?

That's what I'm afraid of. Even if the states could get the funding for building them like FedEx drop boxes, some idiots would find a way to destroy them, unless they're placed in secure, watched facilities.

That's what I'm afraid of. Even if the states could get the funding for building them like FedEx drop boxes, some idiots would find a way to destroy them, unless they're placed in secure, watched facilities.

Can’t state governors deploy national guard to help secure these drop boxes, or better yet help the delivery of ballots?

Can’t state governors deploy national guard to help secure these drop boxes, or better yet help the delivery of ballots?

they can be nationalized, so unfortunately they are not a safe option. I would use state troopers.

That is, unfortunately, possible. I think they're willing to do anything and everything they can to discredit mail-in voting.

I don't believe they have the sheer numbers of Guardsmen to employ throughout a state's voting precincts.

Then what about temporarily borrowing the services of Ups or fedex?

That's brilliant. The boxes are fairly secure and already in place. All the state needs to do is provide the mail-in ballots.

Just set up drive up ballot drop offs at the polling locations. Use the same workers that man the polls... Most polling locations are at places where parking lots could be utilized for a drive up lane. Hell, they can even check id's if they want...

That's brilliant. The boxes are fairly secure and already in place. All the state needs to do is provide the mail-in ballots.

The only problem is that the idea I suggested would be considered by fedex and ups as shudder unprofitable...

The only problem is that the idea I suggested would be considered by fedex and ups as shudder unprofitable...

Trump and Congress could approve of some state funding in the legislature? That would take some of the burden off the USPS, but the GOP would never back it. Disappointing that the voters and media can't put enough pressure on Congress to do the right thing.

Trump and Congress could approve of some state funding in the legislature? That would take some of the burden off the USPS, but the GOP would never back it. Disappointing that the voters and media can't put enough pressure on Congress to do the right thing.

It is such a good thing that postmaster dejoy is making it all the more easy to get angry at him

( I apologize for the link but the original news story about the ongoing destruction of sorting machines is a video on Twitter, and I cannot figure out how to cite things from Twitter”

Reporter finds 'graveyard of mail sorting pieces' at USPS location day after sabotage was suspended

Back
Top Bottom