• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baldur's Gate 3 Confirmed From The Makers Of Divinity: Original Sin 2

I have Romance of the Three Kingdoms (PS2) - but I'm having a hard time with the learning curb!

This is a very late reply, but in rereading this thread I forgot to mention a trick I learned in the original RotTK that made combat pretty simple...

The strength of your enemies is almost pointless when you use fire attacks. In the original game you had an option on your turn to attack a hexagon by setting it on fire. Any unit in that hex was forced to move to an adjacent non-burning hex, or, if none was available, they were forced to flee.

The practical upside of that is you can overwhelm any enemy in a few turns are force them from the battlefield just by surrounding them with fire and enemy forces and setting their occupied hex on fire.

Moreover, if a fleeing enemy has no friendly province to flee to, they become your captive after the battle.

I used to harvest huge armies and take provinces quickly by running from combat to combat capturing all of the enemy's best generals through liberal use of conflagration. 😂

Played a bit of the Early Access game over the last few days. Some thoughts....

* The level cap for early access is 4, which is kind of unfortunate since early D&D levels are pretty boring.

* This game is heavily reliant of strategic planning. While the brute force approach is technically available, it's usually a death wish to run in. Warriors are so squishy in early levels, and fire bombs, acid bombs, etc. are so prevalent, that you really have to plan your battles carefully.

* D&D spell limits and mechanics are also punishing at early levels, so you'll end up camping way more often than you want. So often that I just wish they'd have a fast-camp option. Most fights are decided by your casters alpha damage, and then it's off to camp before you fight the next group 20 yards down the path.

* All those early gripes regarding anemic early-level D&D campaigns aside, the game is quite fun. There is so much satisfaction in a well executed plan that allows you to defeat an enemy you have no right to defeat.

* While this is a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 1&2, it's not really a sequel. Granted, the issues with D&D campaigns are at the tail ends. Early you are so very very weak, and by the 20+ level campaigns you are demi-gods.. trying to pick up where they left off in BG2 would be difficult. It is a sequel insofar as it is a D&D campaign that takes place in and around Baldur.. but then you only get Chapter 1 in the early release, so maybe they tie it in somehow...

Anyway, so far I have enjoyed it more than I expected to, more than the other recent games in the genre, for sure.
That sounds like par for the course.

In Baldur's Gate 2 it was rather difficult going until getting to the pub and picking up enough jobs to get spell casters leveled up.

That sounds like par for the course.

In Baldur's Gate 2 it was rather difficult going until getting to the pub and picking up enough jobs to get spell casters leveled up.

Pretty much. The one trick in early level campaigns is to play a ranger since they get a pet at level 3. The trick works here too.

In BG3 the pets are most useful for initiating combat with enemies at range, allowing your team to setup an ambush elsewhere. When the enemies kill your pet they magically know exactly where you are an all start heading towards you where you can (hopefully) pick them off piecemeal.

Also, regarding pets, there is a weird disparity in the pets you can choose from at level 3, and how you choose them. First, unlike all the D&D I have played, your pet is summoned by a spell so if they die you can just re-summon out of combat. Second, when you cast the spell you can choose from any of the available pets, so you aren't stuck with one choice. Third, the pets you have to choose form are so unevenly powerful that you really on have one choice worth considering: The giant Spider. Whereas all the other pets are 19 hp or less and have normal attacks, the spider has 32 hp and a strong poison attack and web attack, making them rather critical in tough fights for crowd control and absorbing the HP equivalent of two team members.

Granted, this is all early access and they could all just be thrown into the spell options for testing purposes, but it seems weird in practice as it is.

Back
Top Bottom