• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baldur's Gate 3 Confirmed From The Makers Of Divinity: Original Sin 2

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Says Larian in a press release:

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

The trailer, frankly, doesn't strike me as being even remotely tied to anything Baldur's Gate. However, 20 or so years ago when Baldur's Gate II came out it was a fantastic, story rich RPG. I'm excited about this only because of how good the 20 year old version was.

The trailer, frankly, doesn't strike me as being even remotely tied to anything Baldur's Gate. However, 20 or so years ago when Baldur's Gate II came out it was a fantastic, story rich RPG. I'm excited about this only because of how good the 20 year old version was.

I played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and its sequel. Unfortunately, the sequel can't be read anymore by my PS2.
I love RPGs.....and now that I have a 60-inch tv, I'm very much interested to get PS5, which is said to be released on November this year.

Last edited:
I played Baldur's Gate. I love RPGs.....and I'm very much interested to get PS5, which is said to be released on November this year.

I will be getting a ps5 as well. I probably won't upgrade my Xbox One X quite yet, perhaps next year.

I will be getting a ps5 as well. I probably won't upgrade my Xbox One X quite yet, perhaps next year.

I've held on for so long onto my PS2. Even hubby tells me it's time to get with the times.

I've held on for so long onto m PS2. Even hubby tells me it's time to get with the times.

Right now I have a...

Ryzen 3600 / Nvidia 2060 PC
Xbox One X
Switch
PS3

Right now I have a...

Xbox One X
Switch
PS3

I'm playing one of the classics right now - Tales of the Abyss.

Are you into RPGs?

I'm playing one of the classics right now - Tales of the Abyss.

Are you into RPGs?

Big time, especially old school turn based RPGs

If it aint tactical turn based like the original 2 games then I will be mighty disappointed.

If it aint tactical turn based like the original 2 games then I will be mighty disappointed.

Tactics turn-based!

Stella Deus, Front Mission 4, Disgaea Hour of Darkness, Nobunaga's Ambition, Future tactics......

baldur's gate 3 confirmed from the makers of divinity: Original sin 2

the trailer, frankly, doesn't strike me as being even remotely tied to anything baldur's gate. However, 20 or so years ago when baldur's gate ii came out it was a fantastic, story rich rpg. I'm excited about this only because of how good the 20 year old version was.

Go for the eyes, Boo!!!

Edit: Also, there is nothing in that trailer that would say one way of the other how Baldur's Gate III will connect to the story of the first two. It just means that whatever happens, Mind Flayers will be involved.

Last edited:
Right now I have a...

Xbox One X
Switch
PS3

At some point I drifted away from consoles when I got in to modding games... it probably started with my love of turn based strategy games and the near lack of them on Console... interestingly, I fell in love with turn based strategy by playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the old Nintendo.

Anyway, the only console I have anymore is an old Wii than my kids still use on occasion. I have an Intel i7/GTX1080 desktop that I lucked into a few years ago when Best Buy took a pickup order from me for a desktop they didn't actually have in stock and the manager handed me that beauty as an apology. I thanked them profusely for their mistake. The CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth, but those old GTX 1080s still outperform most of the RTX line of cards.

At some point I drifted away from consoles when I got in to modding games... it probably started with my love of turn based strategy games and the near lack of them on Console... interestingly, I fell in love with turn based strategy by playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the old Nintendo.

Anyway, the only console I have anymore is an old Wii than my kids still use on occasion. I have an Intel i7/GTX1080 desktop that I lucked into a few years ago when Best Buy took a pickup order from me for a desktop they didn't actually have in stock and the manager handed me that beauty as an apology. I thanked them profusely for their mistake. The CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth, but those old GTX 1080s still outperform most of the RTX line of cards.

the RTX cool because my daughter is into the RTX minecraft :)

the RTX cool because my daughter is into the RTX minecraft :)

RTX Minecraft is pretty, you can get the same effect in modded java-based Minecraft with the Optifine graphics mod and a shader of your choosing.

I have Romance of the Three Kingdoms (PS2) - but I'm having a hard time with the learning curb!

I have Romance of the Three Kingdoms (PS2) - but I'm having a hard time with the learning curb!

It wasn't really any more forgiving in the old Nintendo days, I can tell you. :lol:

It wasn't really any more forgiving in the old Nintendo days, I can tell you. :lol:

Lol. I still have Nintendo 64 and lots of games stored away - but haven't played it in years. Don't want lots of wires and consoles around.
I'm thinking of selling them at Ebay, when I get round to it.

Another one that I would like to play is Warhammer - but the learning curve (controls) just intimidates me.

Last edited:
Lol. I still have Nintendo 64 and lots of games stored away - but haven't played it in years. Don't want lots of wires and consoles around.
I'm thinking of selling them at Ebay, when I get round to it.

Another one that I would like to play is Warhammer - but the learning curve (controls) just intimidates me.

Which Warhammer game?

Here's about 1 hour of gameplay. It looks like it is turn based, even though the whole interface seems similar to Diablo. And its only for the PC for now. Perhaps I might check it out if it gets released.

Here's about 1 hour of gameplay. It looks like it is turn based, even though the whole interface seems similar to Diablo. And its only for the PC for now. Perhaps I might check it out if it gets released.

It looks cool!

Definitely a game I will pick up. I wonder what the level cap will be? BG1&2 allowed you to play a character from lowly level 1 to essentially a level 20 Demi-God. Planescape carried you from 1 to 25 (ish?).

Pacing in these games is pretty important since there is a practical upper bound of playable level in the AD&D system where, above level 25 or so, you stop being a cog in the wheel of a giant world and start being the most power thing in that world. Such power might be fun for a little while, but the game would need to be substantially different.

I actually watched it all, lol. I can't even recall how long it's been since I played a turn-based game, but Balder's Gate was my introduction to video games, and I'll no doubt buy this one for nostalgia alone! Hope they get the bugs out before they release it; when even one of the game developers ends up dead and crashed, that bodes ill! :lol:

Thanks for posting it.

Definitely a game I will pick up. I wonder what the level cap will be? BG1&2 allowed you to play a character from lowly level 1 to essentially a level 20 Demi-God. Planescape carried you from 1 to 25 (ish?).

Pacing in these games is pretty important since there is a practical upper bound of playable level in the AD&D system where, above level 25 or so, you stop being a cog in the wheel of a giant world and start being the most power thing in that world. Such power might be fun for a little while, but the game would need to be substantially different.

It’s based on 5th edition D&D which goes to level 20. Like high levels in 2nd edition (which BG1 and 2 were based on), high level characters do become world-shaping forces. Especially spellcasters. It’s hard to avoid. Anyone who can slay a dragon is a major force in the world, and you can’t go and make a D&D game without a dragon to slay.

Played a bit of the Early Access game over the last few days. Some thoughts....

* The level cap for early access is 4, which is kind of unfortunate since early D&D levels are pretty boring.

* This game is heavily reliant of strategic planning. While the brute force approach is technically available, it's usually a death wish to run in. Warriors are so squishy in early levels, and fire bombs, acid bombs, etc. are so prevalent, that you really have to plan your battles carefully.

* D&D spell limits and mechanics are also punishing at early levels, so you'll end up camping way more often than you want. So often that I just wish they'd have a fast-camp option. Most fights are decided by your casters alpha damage, and then it's off to camp before you fight the next group 20 yards down the path.

* All those early gripes regarding anemic early-level D&D campaigns aside, the game is quite fun. There is so much satisfaction in a well executed plan that allows you to defeat an enemy you have no right to defeat.

* While this is a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 1&2, it's not really a sequel. Granted, the issues with D&D campaigns are at the tail ends. Early you are so very very weak, and by the 20+ level campaigns you are demi-gods.. trying to pick up where they left off in BG2 would be difficult. It is a sequel insofar as it is a D&D campaign that takes place in and around Baldur.. but then you only get Chapter 1 in the early release, so maybe they tie it in somehow...

Anyway, so far I have enjoyed it more than I expected to, more than the other recent games in the genre, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom