• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Balding Pot Heads – Cannabis Smoking Linked to Hair Loss

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Results haven’t been published yet but researchers at the University of Amsterdam suggest that regular smoking of cannabis contributes directly to hair loss.

Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug and is used by roughly two million people in the UK, despite the many known negative side effects. The study of men and woman aged between 18 and 60 who regular smoked the drug found that young males in particular were prone to the effects of regular smoking and hair loss is one of them.

If we think about it hypothetically for a second, the link between marijuana, skunk, green, gear – whatever you want to call it – and thinning hair makes sense, and can be inferred through previous studies. Regular cannabis use harms the body in two distinct ways – via the effect of the substance itself and via negative lifestyle changes, such as increased stress levels, irregular eating habits and poor dietary intake.
============================================================================
Recently I noticed that my normal thick head of hair was starting to noticeably thin. The time line matches up with my receiving my MM card & starting to use pot on a daily basis.

Since I have not been to the local hair cutting place since March, it is apparent that my hair has stopped growing since then. (I avoid the barber shop due to COVID risk).

Since I've had the luxury of a full head of hair my entire adult life, this is no great loss. Many of my business associates went bald at half my age.

Interestingly, pot use has not affected my beard or fingernails, which are all made out of the same protein, keratin.

Last edited:
The study is not published and the article is loaded with fudge words.

Opening: "Results haven’t been published yet but researchers at the University of Amsterdam suggest that regular smoking of cannabis contributes directly to hair loss."

What is "suggest"? Does "suggest" refer to a particular strength of correlation? Etc.

Pay attention to words like "suggest", "linked", "associated with". Those are the kind of words journalists typically use to make some study they did not fully understand sound more headline-worthy.

A great example is all the anti-pot articles in the first year or so of legalization in a given state. They would talk about how accidents "linked to" or "associated with" marijuana went up. How many readers bothered to find out what that meant, "linked to" and "associated with"?

Those who bothered found out that all it means is that of accidents after which a blood test was given, more showed a detectable amount of marijuana was in the system. Convincing, you say? Nope. Why? Because that detectable amount will be there up to a month after use. A month. And of course one would expect that overall usage to inch up a bit in a state where pot is made legal. So of course you're going to find that post-legalization, more people used pot within a month of an accident in which a blood test was taken then be fore. Stands to reason.

But it does not mean that marijuana use had anything to do with the accident. Could have smoked the night before or three weeks before.

Do the scare-monger articles say that? No. They say "linked to" and "associated with". Sounds like it means something, but doesn't. You can find similar swill all over nutritional studies. Trust the journalists and you might conclude the scientists can't find their ass with a map. Read and understand the studies, and you know that their conclusions were hyped through the roof so an article would make a splash.

The study is not published and the article is loaded with fudge words.

Opening: "Results haven’t been published yet but researchers at the University of Amsterdam suggest that regular smoking of cannabis contributes directly to hair loss."

What is "suggest"? Does "suggest" refer to a particular strength of correlation? Etc.

Pay attention to words like "suggest", "linked", "associated with". Those are the kind of words journalists typically use to make some study they did not fully understand sound more headline-worthy.

A great example is all the anti-pot articles in the first year or so of legalization in a given state. They would talk about how accidents "linked to" or "associated with" marijuana went up. How many readers bothered to find out what that meant, "linked to" and "associated with"?

Those who bothered found out that all it means is that of accidents after which a blood test was given, more showed a detectable amount of marijuana was in the system. Convincing, you say? Nope. Why? Because that detectable amount will be there up to a month after use. A month. And of course one would expect that overall usage to inch up a bit in a state where pot is made legal. So of course you're going to find that post-legalization, more people used pot within a month of an accident in which a blood test was taken then be fore. Stands to reason.

But it does not mean that marijuana use had anything to do with the accident. Could have smoked the night before or three weeks before.

Do the scare-monger articles say that? No. They say "linked to" and "associated with". Sounds like it means something, but doesn't. You can find similar swill all over nutritional studies. Trust the journalists and you might conclude the scientists can't find their ass with a map. Read and understand the studies, and you know that their conclusions were hyped through the roof so an article would make a splash.

You sound like a lawyer.

I think its pretty much nonsense. I'm not male, but I have not had increased stress or irregular eating habits since I started regularly using weed. And of course this is anecdotal, but I've never noticed hair loss in any of the men that I know of that use weed, either, unless they had male pattern baldness. And I certainly never noticed it in young males when I was younger.

You sound like a lawyer.

And a bit of a philosopher at times, I hope. . .

But seriously, watch out for popular science articles. They just about always get things wrong in various ways. With something like this, it's in the sensationalist direction.

I think its pretty much nonsense. I'm not male, but I have not had increased stress or irregular eating habits since I started regularly using weed. And of course this is anecdotal, but I've never noticed hair loss in any of the men that I know of that use weed, either, unless they had male pattern baldness. And I certainly never noticed it in young males when I was younger.

I don't see anything definitive or scientific about this. I take vitamins & supplements, some of which I just stopped taking. I see my cardiologist next week & I plan to ask his opinion.

I don't see anything definitive or scientific about this. I take vitamins & supplements, some of which I just stopped taking. I see my cardiologist next week & I plan to ask his opinion.

Which vitamins & supplements did you stop taking?

And I seemed to be losing a little more hair than normal the last couple of months. Started taking vitamins with iron (I can tend to be a little anemic) and a biotin booster, and the last month, the hair loss has disappeared. Now I wonder if they'd tie the stopping of the hair loss, to iron? biotin? Or maybe I was just 'shedding' a little more for no apparent reason? Too many variables to blame male hair loss on weed, IMO.

Last edited:
Which vitamins & supplements did you stop taking?

NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine) & resveratrol. I also reduced zinc from 44 to 22mg. I'm using the process of elimination.

You put a bunch of different chemicals into your body & they will eventually produce different types of reactions.

NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine) & resveratrol. I also reduced zinc from 44 to 22mg. I'm using the process of elimination.

You put a bunch of different chemicals into your body & they will eventually produce different types of reactions.

Yep. You really haven't had your card for very long, right? Seems pretty sudden for that to have an effect.

Middle age causes hair loss too. And I’m putting my money on that in my case and not how I might have spent my misspent youth, adult hood and occasionally middle age.

Middle age causes hair loss too. And I’m putting my money on that in my case and not how I might have spent my misspent youth, adult hood and occasionally middle age.

Well, I'm past middle age, so I have no complaints. If it happens, so be it. In the mean time, I'm cutting back on the stuff put into my body just in case.

Results haven’t been published yet but researchers at the University of Amsterdam suggest that regular smoking of cannabis contributes directly to hair loss.

Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug and is used by roughly two million people in the UK, despite the many known negative side effects. The study of men and woman aged between 18 and 60 who regular smoked the drug found that young males in particular were prone to the effects of regular smoking and hair loss is one of them.

If we think about it hypothetically for a second, the link between marijuana, skunk, green, gear – whatever you want to call it – and thinning hair makes sense, and can be inferred through previous studies. Regular cannabis use harms the body in two distinct ways – via the effect of the substance itself and via negative lifestyle changes, such as increased stress levels, irregular eating habits and poor dietary intake.
============================================================================
Recently I noticed that my normal thick head of hair was starting to noticeably thin. The time line matches up with my receiving my MM card & starting to use pot on a daily basis.

Since I have not been to the local hair cutting place since March, it is apparent that my hair has stopped growing since then. (I avoid the barber shop due to COVID risk).

Since I've had the luxury of a full head of hair my entire adult life, this is no great loss. Many of my business associates went bald at half my age.

Interestingly, pot use has not affected my beard or fingernails, which are all made out of the same protein, keratin.
Crap. Luckily it's too late now. Hopefully this won't be followed up with another study that says stopping will let your hair grow back.

I've been taking statins for high cholesterol for years. Hair loss is a known side effect but this has only started a few months ago. Same with blood thinners, which I'm on (clopidogrel & baby aspirin) since my heart surgery to prevent clots & strokes or heart attacks.

Since I meet with my heart doctor next week, I'll suggest switching statin from Lipitor to Crestor.

I just showered & shampooed my hair in preparation for a visit to one of my increasing number of doctors this afternoon. To my relief, no noticeable amount of hair fell out. I've also gotten the feeling that at least one of those chemicals I stopped taking was involved with the hair thinning& not the pot

Regular cannabis use harms the body in two distinct ways – via the effect of the substance itself and via negative lifestyle changes, such as increased stress levels, irregular eating habits and poor dietary intake.

Increased stress??? From pot use? Yeah sure, pot is used to combat stress, so tell me how that works.
And the only way one has poor dietary intake on pot is if one is inclined to eat junk food instead of good food.

Increased stress??? From pot use? Yeah sure, pot is used to combat stress, so tell me how that works.
And the only way one has poor dietary intake on pot is if one is inclined to eat junk food instead of good food.

I started using MM befre my heart valve surgery to relieve stress, not create more of it. And the glossy literature package they give you as you leave says proper conditions for healing involves reducing stress.

Back
Top Bottom