• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Baghdad wants U.S. to pay $1 billion for damage to city

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have no words for this. I just have one finger to show them.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Iraq's capital wants the United States to apologize and pay $1 billion for the damage done to the city not by bombs but by blast walls and Humvees since the U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.
The city's government issued its demands in a statement on Wednesday that said Baghdad's infrastructure and aesthetics have been seriously damaged by the American military.
"The U.S. forces changed this beautiful city to a camp in an ugly and destructive way, which reflected deliberate ignorance and carelessness about the simplest forms of public taste," the statement said.
"Due to the huge damage, leading to a loss the Baghdad municipality cannot afford...we demand the American side apologize to Baghdad's people and pay back these expenses."
The statement made no mention of damage caused by bombing.
Baghdad's neighborhoods have been sealed off by miles of concrete blast walls, transforming the city into a tangled maze that contributes to massive traffic jams. Despite a sharp reduction in overall violence in recent years only 5 percent of the walls have been removed, officials said.
The heavy blast walls have damaged sewer and water systems, pavement and parks, said Hakeem Abdul Zahra, the city spokesman.
U.S. military Humvees, driven on street medians and through gardens, have also caused major damage, he said.
"The city of Baghdad feels these violations, which have taken place for years, have caused economic and moral damage," he said.

Baghdad wants U.S. to pay $1 billion for damage to city - Yahoo! News

Afghanistan will be next, just wait and see. Ungrateful bastards.

Destruction goes hand in hand with WAR!

How ignorant can people be??

Afghanistan will be next, just wait and see. Ungrateful bastards.

Destruction goes hand in hand with WAR!

How ignorant can people be??

But did they ask for the WAR! ?

This is a key issue they should have considered BEFORE starting anything. . . BEFORE continuing what we started . . . and BEFORE actually paying billions to HELP build, feed, and reorganize - only to not quite finish the job.

I think they have an adequate complaint.

And this should serve as a CAUTION - no a WARNING to future presidents that they need to take into consideration ALL possible future outcomes of any effort - especially if we're going to 'be the good guys helping everyone out and improving everyone's lives.'

People will really want us to do *exactly that*

What does one really expect with the inefficient and appeasement based mentality of the current national leadership? When one goes around the world making apologies while tossing US wealth around like they print it from nothing....its easy to see why the wolves of the world since weakness and smell blood in the air. Its only a BILLION BUCKS...hell, Mr. Prez spends more than that on one of his extravagant global visitations, not to mention the full compliment of security forces needed for his protection, I would not doubt that Moochelle wasted more on her little European docket on the Rivera. This is peanuts to someone that has a blank check endorsed by We the People. How many vacations did the man take last year....12? I wonder when the next little trip to Martha's Vineyard or to NY to take in a Broadway Play is due?

I do think that it's quite amusing. I am still awaiting the condemnation to come from the White House in relation to the protests in IRAN.....have I missed something, where is the call for an immediate change of government? Are there no clear human rights violations occurring in IRAN? Or do the Imams have this (wink, wink) CHRISTIAN president in their hip pocket?

Last edited:
This is a key issue they should have considered BEFORE starting anything. . . BEFORE continuing what we started . . . and BEFORE actually paying billions to HELP build, feed, and reorganize - only to not quite finish the job.

The job is finished. It's up to Iraqi's now.

I think they have an adequate complaint.

No they don't. If they want their neighborhoods secured and cleaned up they need to do something about it themselves.

Iraqi's need to restore their country with their own hands. We've put in enough time, money and people already.

"The U.S. forces changed this beautiful city to a camp in an ugly and destructive way"

This quote is from the OP. I don't know where this guy was living before OIF, but Baghdad had not been a "beautiful city" for some years. Like most of Iraq, it was festering crap hole.

And this should serve as a CAUTION - no a WARNING to future presidents that they need to take into consideration ALL possible future outcomes of any effort - especially if we're going to 'be the good guys helping everyone out and improving everyone's lives.'

People will really want us to do *exactly that*

A warning? What warning?

That if the US successfully liberates a nation they will turn into liberals and want everything done for them?

The job is finished. It's up to Iraqi's now.

No they don't. If they want their neighborhoods secured and cleaned up they need to do something about it themselves.

Iraqi's need to restore their country with their own hands. We've put in enough time, money and people already.

"The U.S. forces changed this beautiful city to a camp in an ugly and destructive way"

This quote is from the OP. I don't know where this guy was living before OIF, but Baghdad had not been a "beautiful city" for some years. Like most of Iraq, it was festering crap hole.

A warning? What warning?

That if the US successfully liberates a nation they will turn into liberals and want everything done for them?

Your mindset is what goes into creating this type of problem.
The whole "we're awesome, we can save them, we can get them started, they need to finish"

Why did anyone - ANYONE - every for a moment think that they *would* do this for theirselves? It is not their culture of beliefs to finish what others started. We can't even rebuild our own cities when they're destroyed by ourselves - why should be actually expect another country who *NEVER* did that - ever - to do it now, all of a sudden?

We might have helped change their power structure - but we did not change their culture. . . I think this is a "no-****, what did you think would happen" situation.

Time and time again while we *were* there people continually brought up that this might be the future of things - and here it is. :shrug:

If our government didn't want this reaction they should have stopped and thought "gee, hmm" - Bush might not have been thinking but Congress had some sway over the matter.

Last edited:
Baghdad wants U.S. to pay $1 billion for damage to city

I think that 1 billion is not enough to rebuild or comensate what the barbarian invasion of western countires led by usa that killed thausands of innocent iraqi people and that caused hundreds of abnormal births in south of Iraq till now and that destroyed infrastructure in all Iraq cities , ....what compensate Iraq ? non even thausands of billions of us $ !!!!
if we are human and know justice

I think that 1 billion is not enough to rebuild or comensate what the barbarian invasion of western countires led by usa that killed thausands of innocent iraqi people and that caused hundreds of abnormal births in south of Iraq till now and that destroyed infrastructure in all Iraq cities , ....what compensate Iraq ? non even thausands of billions of us $ !!!!

Have you heard of war?? Killing and destruction go hand in hand with war.

We can't compensate anybody, Obama spent all our money and we are broke.

Please call Obama and tell him to pull all our troops from Afghanistan and Iraq right away, will you?

dear baghdad....kiss our AMERICAN asses...sincerely, uncle sam......

Correction.... they hate the US and the US hates them.

I find it perfectly justified. The US of A entered the country against everyones will, blew the place to smithereens, now Iraq wants a little compensation? Seriously what is $1 billion out of the trillions your country makes?

i find it perfectly justified. The us of a entered the country against everyones will, blew the place to smithereens, now iraq wants a little compensation? Seriously what is $1 billion out of the trillions your country makes?

We don't have any more money. We are broke.

Your mindset is what goes into creating this type of problem.
The whole "we're awesome, we can save them, we can get them started, they need to finish"

Yes of course. The very idea of the US liberating other nations in the world is just a mindset that creates problems. Never mind the millions of people around the world who are actually thankful. The “problems” we have with free and peaceful nations are preferable to the alternative.

Iraqi’s need to stand up for their country or they will lose it to jihadi’s. Tens of thousands already have stood up and continue to do so. They understand what they’re fighting for. Thousands have been killed fighting jihadis as you know.

Why did anyone - ANYONE - every for a moment think that they *would* do this for theirselves? It is not their culture of beliefs to finish what others started. We can't even rebuild our own cities when they're destroyed by ourselves - why should be actually expect another country who *NEVER* did that - ever - to do it now, all of a sudden?

Iraqi’s have lived in relative peace and prosperity in the past. There is no reason to believe they can’t do it again. I believe they can.

For a good example Iraqi’s can look to South Korea or former West Germany after WWII.

We might have helped change their power structure - but we did not change their culture. . . I think this is a "no-****, what did you think would happen" situation.

Time and time again while we *were* there people continually brought up that this might be the future of things - and here it is.

We didn’t try to change their culture and Iraqi’s are running their country.

I always thought that the US would topple the regime and that the Iraqi people would build a free and peaceful nation on the ashes of Saddam and his sons.

If our government didn't want this reaction they should have stopped and thought "gee, hmm" - Bush might not have been thinking but Congress had some sway over the matter.

What reaction? That there are Iraqi’s trying to bilk the US out of money to pay for their neighborhood to be cleaned up?

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was a political stunt by Iraqi politicians for votes in upcoming elections. Kinda like the Dems here in the US saying that all was lost in Iraq before the ’06 midterms.

Their compensation is living in a relatively free and peaceful country whose leaders the people elect and can hold accountable. They have the barbarian coalition and their own Army to thank for that.

If you are living in a free and peaceful country bangkok2010, who do you have to thank for that?

The posters in this thread make me so, so sad for my country. We invade a country, smash its cities and its infrastructure, and look how you people are responding to a request for pay for the damage we caused.

Millions of people don't have reliable access to running water and electricity because we blew up the infrastructure that delivers it. Pssh, they should expect it, it's war!

Yeah. A war we ****ing started.

Yes of course. The very idea of the US liberating other nations in the world is just a mindset that creates problems. Never mind the millions of people around the world who are actually thankful. The “problems” we have with free and peaceful nations are preferable to the alternative.

Iraqi’s need to stand up for their country or they will lose it to jihadi’s. Tens of thousands already have stood up and continue to do so. They understand what they’re fighting for. Thousands have been killed fighting jihadis as you know.

Iraqi’s have lived in relative peace and prosperity in the past. There is no reason to believe they can’t do it again. I believe they can.

For a good example Iraqi’s can look to South Korea or former West Germany after WWII.

We didn’t try to change their culture and Iraqi’s are running their country.

I always thought that the US would topple the regime and that the Iraqi people would build a free and peaceful nation on the ashes of Saddam and his sons.

What reaction? That there are Iraqi’s trying to bilk the US out of money to pay for their neighborhood to be cleaned up?

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was a political stunt by Iraqi politicians for votes in upcoming elections. Kinda like the Dems here in the US saying that all was lost in Iraq before the ’06 midterms.

So then I guess we bilked BP oil to clean up something we could have done on our own. And we're bilking China to borrow money to pay for **** we should be able to cover on our own.

Do you know how much money we give away to countries throughout the WORLD through our agencies? It IS billions every single YEAR. We hand out money like candy to almost every suffering, 3rd world country out there. We spend TRILLIONS to wage the ongoing war in the Middle East.

So WHY is the expectation to help fix what WE borke - aka just helping Iraqis out - a bad thing, now?

Back
Top Bottom