• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bafta Awards face backlash over all-white winners

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So we have some that are very upset. Although the pool of candidates were indeed diverse, none were selected. Virtue signaling?

————

The Bafta Awards have come under fire, after all the winners at its film ceremony on Sunday were white.
The prestigious British event had a diverse set of nominees, with people belonging to ethnic minorities taking almost 40% of acting shortlist slots.
But that did not translate into wins, with the 49 victors across all categories being white.
It comes three years after an outcry and subsequent reforms when all 20 acting nominees were white.

I don't care about the Bafta's.

Simple solution, each category could have 4 winners, one from each major race.

There was a minor protest over the latest Oscar awards, too.

No doubt the Oscars and the British version have learned their lesson.

They both should (quietly) establish quotas.

Then everyone will be happy -- except for maybe the movie-going audiences.

I don't care about the BAFTA's. I'm sure the people snubbed feel differently, but that doesn't make me care about the BAFTA's.

I read an article recently about how the lack of diversity in movie critics/judges has led to a lot of excellent minority work not being fully understood by the 'old white guys' evaluating the film. That was an aspect I hadn't thought of before. I wonder if it's not so much honoring diversity on the stage, as it is more about inclusion backstage. Just a thought :)

I read an article recently about how the lack of diversity in movie critics/judges has led to a lot of excellent minority work not being fully understood by the 'old white guys' evaluating the film. That was an aspect I hadn't thought of before. I wonder if it's not so much honoring diversity on the stage, as it is more about inclusion backstage. Just a thought :)

Good point

So...scrap the idea of "Quality" and go with "Quantity"?
We seem to be hung up on applying positive recognition of nearly every minute difference. It would essentially change the awards to being the "best of the best" and the "best of the worst", leaving everyone including the recipients to wonder.

Another option would be to have two distinct panels of judges, one comprised of all whites and the other all blacks.

Or we stop keeping score.
Well...for the most part, yes, but not 100% because racial bias actually IS still a think, though not as much as it was in the past.

Yea. Those snubbed feel differently.
Were they "snubbed" or just out-performed? I saw Cate Blanchett in Tar. I predict she will also win the Oscar. It was probably the best acting performance in the last ten years. Her competitors ought to feel honored to have been nominated in the same category as her.

So we have some that are very upset. Although the pool of candidates were indeed diverse, none were selected. Virtue signaling?

————

The Bafta Awards have come under fire, after all the winners at its film ceremony on Sunday were white.
The prestigious British event had a diverse set of nominees, with people belonging to ethnic minorities taking almost 40% of acting shortlist slots.
But that did not translate into wins, with the 49 victors across all categories being white.
It comes three years after an outcry and subsequent reforms when all 20 acting nominees were white.

The racists were very upset that Whites won. 🤷‍♂️ 😂

I'm all for complaining and protesting the winners IF AND WHEN you have a point over wh oshould've won.
It's always "why this white guy won", but it's never in the context of "well look at the work of those two other people, so much better, I can show analysis and reviews that explain their acting brilliance".
It's just "it shouldn't be this white'.
And I'm a liberal who agrees that there is racial bias when you have majority white voters in award shows. But don't disregard someone's win and work just because. Once you can point out undeserving winners getting tons of awards because they're white while consensus better acting from minorities are ignored, THEN YOU CAN TALK ABOUT INJUSTICE AND BIAS.

Back
Top Bottom